Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, last week a small tear on the front of my vinyl top open up on the front, basicaly it started peeling up from the front windshield.

Then list nite I was probably going a little to fast on the interstate and it blew back about 5 inches. So today I go home and figure its gotta come off. Well, origional paint is under neath and looks good. So I pulled the vinyl top back with intentions to take it all the way off, I got back to the rear passenger window above the door handle and realized its not going to come off easy, the rear isnt in that bad shape so I figured I would let it stay. So I cut the front half off, now I have a glue/sticky residue on top.

What do you recomend I do to take it off? Goo Gone? Bug and Tar remover? Anything easier without mutilating the paint? I was going to try and find some rubber molding or something to seal the vinyl top in the rear where I cut it off, any ideas are welcome. I really dont know what Im doing. The picture BELOW shows where I started cleaning up, using my finger nail and a brush that was rough, I think i may have put some scratches in!!!
It was getting dark, oh well it will still look better with that top off, like many things with their top off! ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I used a pressure cleaner to remove the glue. Piece of cake and it cleans it too! Go to your local self serve car wash. I`m sure they would have one.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine pulled off quite easily with very little residue. Goo-gone got the rest.

The difference is that I did mine after it sat all day long in the hot August sun...

HEAT is the key to pulling it off cleanly!!!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, one thing working to your benefit (maybe) is that you have an aftermarket top on that car--probably won't, at least from how it looks, have as many mounting holes as a factory one.

I'd hope for some sun & heat, and just keep peeling. The glue & foam should rub off one way or another, just as was said, and it'll look much cleaner in the end, even if the paint is scratched up a bit--a little polishing, and it should be good.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i pressure washed it off, pics coming soon. It looks good, lots of scratches from where they roughed it up for the adhesive, a couple very small rust spots but the paint still looks good.

Now, I just half the back half. What kind of molding/glue/strips should I use to stop the back part from blowing off and making it look some what professional looking.

Im referring to the pic above, the line where I cut if off with the scissors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts