1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts

·
Registered
96 SS Black for now, Stock LS for now
5 Posts
I'm sure someone has. If you look hard enough you will find someone. A lot of info on this forum.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
has anybody ever installed a vinyl top on their 1995 impala?
Slightly longer version:
Why would anybody install something on their car that makes corrosion worse?
Why push these cars toward the junkyard by wasting money to make the car look even older?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Slightly longer version:
Why would anybody install something on their car that makes corrosion worse?
Why push these cars toward the junkyard by wasting money to make the car look even older?
Exactly Mark. I mean its each to there own, but not on an Impala SS----NEVER

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
To each their own my arse.
Sooner or later, the type of person who would put a vinyl top on a 26 year old car will probably sell it or junk it.
It's just an opinion, but …

Not on ANY CAR, EVER.
I'd make an exception for one that does not make corrosion any worse, or better yet, improves corrosion resistance.
I'd also make an exception for one that surreptitiously enhanced aerodynamics somehow.

As an OEM / showroom option it was corrosive since day one and anachronistic since the 80s.
Making the car look older (by aging it faster) is NOT the same as keeping it timeless.

Reactions: 96Lt1civi

·
Registered
12 Posts
I, personally, would never add a vinyl top for the same corrosion reasons already cited.
Vinyl tops had a purpose on professional cars, one was to hide body imperfections that would be glaringly obvious if just painted. One option i have seen used is truck bed liner. Somewhat maintains the look with better rust resistance. But, on an Impala SS, that's blasphemy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
www.topsonline.com looks like a great source for vinyl tops for other cars.

I'm not a huge fan of my FWB's top because the white vinyl, while in outstanding condition, is almost impossible to keep clean. I saw a dark cherry Fleetwood that looked gorgeous.

Vinyl can be pretty cool, especially with the colors they used, on some (but not all) late '60s-mid 70s cars as an integral part of the visual vibe, especially since they often did a nice job with the edge trim. I agree, though--I can't see it working well on 90s Caprices/Impalas.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Which would you prefer?

1994-buick-roadmaster-limited-55000-original-milescontinental-kit-and-luggage-r-10.JPG 1995-chevrolet-caprice-base-4dr-sedan.jpg 1996 fleetwood lowrider monique milian.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts