Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running this? It's an add on or standalone that lets you remote start/arm/unarm/lock/unlock etc from your iPhone/Droid/Blackberry. The full kit is $599, where as I believe I paid over $500 for the remote start 2 way alarm I have on my Imp a few years ago. I'm thinking of getting this for my TBSS, I always have my Droid on me, so one less thing to keep on my keychain. I'm getting mixed reviews searching it, seems like the first version of the program was crappy, the second version is much better.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I saw it said $49 a year or $99 for 3 years. I just searched in the Google Market, it says the app is free. I think the part you're paying for is for a cell signal to the car, then just normal internet rates I guess since you use your 3G.

·
Registered
976 Posts
We installed one on a car at the shop and its pretty cool. The alarm went off on accident the other day and the owner called asking if everything was ok cause he got a text it was triggered, its alot like having on star.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't care about the remote start part as much, more for the alarm. That way no matter where I am I'll know if the alarm went off. The regular long range 2 way ones really don't work more than 100 feet away, and then I can see my car anyways.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
i just had this alarm installed, the features are incredible but i'm still on the fence as to whether or not i want to pay for the the fee their asking...

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
When I saw Scott Williams/Hack over Christmas vacation, I asked him a few questions about the Viper remote start system he installed on the Tahoe I bought (My parents drove it up at Thanksgiving).

He told me he installed the type of system you wrote about on XXX (X-To protect privacy) and XXX liked it because it alerted XXX to a problem one afternoon via smart phone.

I'd prefer a one time fee for the service, as opposed to monthly charges myself, but.....what can ya do.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just had this alarm installed, the features are incredible but i'm still on the fence as to whether or not i want to pay for the the fee their asking...
Let me know how you like it in a month, still on the fence about getting it.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
ahh so far i love it and the range is incredible, i'm waiting for amer to get me a price on the startsmart module w/ gps so i can go ahead and add it in...

·
Registered
161 Posts
smartstart is pretty cool, if youre ok with the bill. really you're best off to get a basic start system and add it, otherwise you only get one remote in the vss4000 and none in the 3000. The gps tracking is an option, some systems dont have it

i have 2 way systems that offer a mile range, that is dependant on the environment though.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Bought one over a year ago on my daily, in order to get around having to carry a keyfob. Needless to say I ended up using the crap keyfob provided with the cs5000 at the time. Big mistake. I was warned not to, but so many customers asked about it I had to try it, I thought surely I was patient and realistic enough to understand the sluggishness of this crude technology. Nope.

It takes 10 secs for the app to fire up & then another good 9 seconds at best for the brain the receive input and do what you asked. If the part cost half what it does - at cost, took half the time to work and there wasn't an outrageously high service fee for it. I would possibly add it again. In the process of redoing the **** audiovox aps 2way alarm install I paid someone to bastardize my car with when I was 16. I'd post pics but its NSFW content. SO - It's being replaced using a Clifford 590.4x color LCD, done by me on my day's off. Soldering everything I will be doing the add-on modules in between mods on my car, for something to do. Smart start being the very last on the list. I paid more for the smart start w/ security package than I did the 590.4x. Live and learn. Bleh. The only benefit these GSM alarm modules add to any current top of the line alarm is the ability to get push notifications to your smart phone, when your out of range from your 2way system.

By the way for those still interested in this feature
Audiovox's blackbox mod does the same thing as Directed not so "smart start". It can be tied to any RS - the first year is free, $30 a year after that it has GPS at no additional cost - or module.

I saw it said $49 a year or $99 for 3 years. I just searched in the Google Market, it says the app is free. I think the part you're paying for is for a cell signal to the car, then just normal internet rates I guess since you use your 3G.
Gay I was not given a one year option and it cost close to $128 bucks for service and bull**** fees once it was all said and done. Then come to find out you have to add another module to get the GPS tracking. No thank you.

That way no matter where I am I'll know if the alarm went off. The regular long range 2 way ones really don't work more than 100 feet away, and then I can see my car anyways.
Nope. Count on it working 75% of the time, maybe 50% of the time with the SMS alert happening in a timely fashion. About 20% of the time for the POP alert happening correctly. Remember this "module" is glorified sim card, stuffed under the dash of a big car. Think of it being about as reliable as the reception of an iPhone 4, honestly expect it to be worse. I used both, and while my phone had a **** reception most of the time, the smart start managed to be worse. Most parking garages where its worst nightmare, which also happens to be the natural habit of a car thief.

You also gotta think, how well is the security on the IT side of things for this product, being that it all works with an IEMI #. I can think of a few situations where adding this could be bad, from a security stand point. We do live in the era of Techno Thuggin'.

If your buying this from a security stand point I am here to tell you, your going to be greatly disappointed. As was I. And the co-worker that tried to tell my hard headed ass the same thing. I sell these for a living and as a friend I am strongly encouraging you to blow your money else where.

However, if your buying this from a wow factor stand point only, then by all means - hos love the smart start. Just, I repeat, don't tell them what you paid. You could pay for multiple ol ladies nails - and thats how they will see it. Saw one dude program siri to fire up his smart start, and it did it more quickly than opening the app - that **** was baller. But in the end even my most my most wealthy customers think it's a rip, and they are wealthy for a reason.

Why but the smart start, when its much cheaper to buy this bad boy...

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I was thinking of getting for the TBSS for one reason only.
The key fobs of the "SS", when used, will move the seats, pedals, & mirrors to the remote user specs ie driver 1 or driver 2. I do not want to lose this feature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts