Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They're quieter than stock, but wear out much sooner. Wouldn't advise getting them. This is from personal experience.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i know the felpro head gasket set for the caprice comes with viton seals.it states they are superior.i dont remember the part number,just call summit racing and ask them for the 94-96 5.7L b-body gasket set

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!
Gary, the reason why i'm asking is because my car is eating oil,i'm putting 1 quart of Amsoil every 6 weeks,no blue smoke during idle or mid throttle, but sometime when I start it up it has white/grey smoke and at WOT all the time.
So I did a search on the forum and everybody with the same problem said it was the valve seals.
So I got the Crane Gold 1.6 RRs,Springs and retainers,Comp Cams Pushrods,all I need is the valve seals, and I'm set!
I notice all the High performance shops like Agostino Racing,Nu Tek Motorsports etc. are using Viton seals,Just wanted to see if anyone out there was using these seals, any good or bad replys.

Aloha Randy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Felpro has a set (with 'O' rings for exhaust) that will fit the stock .56 guide O.D. #SS 72527... (bulk # is 70817B) The O.D. of the installed seal is app. .725"....The reason I added the seal O.D. is it matters depending on the I.D. of the inner spring you will be using. Obviously, you do not want the fit to close or the spring will pull the seal off the guide.

Comp Cams sells a viton seal that requires a .485" O.D. guide. With obviously, a smaller seal O.D. (don't know the dim.)

Or, check with these people: http://www.totalengineairflow.com/ They offer a viton seal as well. The guide O.D. requirement is .530", and will fit in a spring with a .720" I.D.

If you are using Crane springs, there is a good chance that the Felpro seals will work.

Still would like Stonebreaker to respond though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...When the cars were new, many people complained about the noise the valves made - sort of a 'whoop whoop' or helicopter sound. GM even had a fix for it - they put the old style viton umbrella seals on the intake valves. Quieted the valvetrain down, but within 20,000 miles I was getting a puff of blue smoke on startup out of the right tailpipe. When I swapped cams, I went back to the original style and had no trouble for 75,000 miles, until I had the entire motor rebuilt.

I don't think it was the viton itself, I think it was the valve seal design. The old umbrella seal design snaps over the top of the valve guide and sits still while the valve slides up and down, which is going to wear. The newer types that just fit around the valve stem don't slide, they just ride the valve up and down, which decreases wear. So check and see whether the valve seals you are considering are old style or new style, especially if you plan on driving the car on a daily basis.

Incidently, whoever said they're getting smoke all the time during WOT has got other problems than the valve seals. If the smoke is black, you're running rich, which can be caused by an exhaust leak before the O2 sensor. If the smoke is blue, then you're burning oil and probably need to rebuild the engine. Your oil use could also be caused by an oil leak. Check the front seal, the oil cooler lines, and the back of the intake manifold.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.