Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, the alternator was not charging the battery well. Performed voltage drop test with a battery load tester connected to the alternator. Wow... 0.95 v on the negative side (and 0.16 v on the positive one). Sure, it would not charge!
I am wondering if a nice jumper from battery negative terminal to the alternator ground will do for now (until I have the time to redo all negative side with cables, connections, grounds).

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I seem to remember something like the "Big 3 upgrade" which consisted of adding additional Ground wires. Not sure if this is 1 of those wires.

I would at first consider new battery cables like those from Gary at Innovative Wiring or at least new stock AND definitely remove ALL Ground wires, clean the connection point and then reattach using dielectric grease. Cleaning the grounds can often fix a lot of electrical gremlins on these 25 YO cars. Don't forget the grounds behind both lower kick panels.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Make the grounds good, then coat them with dielectric grease. The dielectric grease is a non-conductor, and can cause a ground fault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts