Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for my battery voltage to be around 17 volts?

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
I assume you're checking while the car is running? Either way, 17 Volts is too high. The charging system should read approximately 14.6 Volts.

Ya might wanna take the alternator off and go to an AutoZone (Or equivalent) and have them test it.

How old is it??

Speaking of high voltage...

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About a week or two.however alternator is only a year old. I checked the alternator it passed. I also checked the battery and also passed. Even tried a really old battery and the alternator brought it back to life. Maybe its just a really kick ass alternator. Our maybe my voltage gauge on the car is screwed up.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My recommendation is DO NOT TRUST the gauges in the cluster except for engine speed and the speedometer. I would measure the voltage across the battery with a Digital Multi Meter to get the voltage the alternator is actually putting out and go from there. If it is reading more than 15 volts then have to repair or replace the alternator if it reads between 13 and 15 volts its fine and call it a day. - Peter

·
Premium Member
2,547 Posts
About a week or two.however alternator is only a year old. I checked the alternator it passed. I also checked the battery and also passed. Even tried a really old battery and the alternator brought it back to life. Maybe its just a really kick ass alternator. Our maybe my voltage gauge on the car is screwed up.
OK, -how- did you test the Alternator & battery. What's your definition of test.

Peter hit the nail on the head when he replied about the OEM gauge not being perfect.

I assumed you were using a DVOM on the battery when you indicated you were reading 17 volts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts