Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, assuming I might need a new master cylinder/slave cylinder, I looked up application for a 95 Camaro with a six speed, in RockAuto. They call out a Wagner part # CM140989, for $68.79. Wagner is an old trusted brand now owned by Federal Mogul. Great price too. Here's my question: Wagner says this is for 93-95 Camaro's with the manual transmission, but they don't list it for the 96 or 97. In fact, Wagner doesn't sell a combo master/slave for the 96 or 97. You have to buy each separately. On the other hand, the GM part 12559912, which runs about $125 wholesale, says it works for 93-97 manual transmissions. Would anyone know why Wagner distinguishes between the the 93-95 years and the 96-97 years? I called Wagner and they said CM140989 might work, they just couldn't say for sure...

Has anyone used the Wagner part?

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I just looked on RockAuto's site and chose 97 camaro Z28 for the vehicle and it comes up with this SACHS number SPH002
Are you sure you picked Z28 and not just the standard Camaro?

And really I think that Rock has it listed wrong as Wagners part number that they show for that is actually a brake assembly for a heavy truck.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked the Z28 and year = 1995. that's where the Wagner CM140989 master/slave kit came from. For year 1996 and 1997, they don't show a Wagner option at all, only the Sachs. Also, Rock has it right. CM stands for Clutch Master Cylinder...

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
Yeah maybe they do maybe they don't this is what I found on it through google. http://www.finditparts.com/t/manufacturer/federal-mogul-wagner/p/wagner-brake-cm140989
I would be leary of ordering something that doesn't show a picture or get the application just right, but that is just me.

Also if you look under 95 camaro with a 3.8, which I didn't know there was such a thing, but I could be wrong, the clutch master and slave is listed as the same part number, but the transmissions are two totally different units. I would go with the SACHS unit or GM.

·
Super Moderator
6,000 Posts
Just FYI, you can mix the parts. I used a stock (used) GM setup with an aftermarket slave (because the yard didn't know how to disconnect a roll pin, apparently). Took a long time to fill and bleed, but still working fine after all these years.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i know it seems unbelievable, but GM part 12559912 was used on the 6-bangers as well as the LT-1. So it goes to reason the Wagner unit would work on both too. I just can't figure out why the Wagner unit won't work on the 96 and 97 models.

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
yeah, i know it seems unbelievable, but GM part 12559912 was used on the 6-bangers as well as the LT-1. So it goes to reason the Wagner unit would work on both too. I just can't figure out why the Wagner unit won't work on the 96 and 97 models.
Well I don't believe that is true, I was just in the yard the other day and there was a 94 camaro there with a 5 speed, the clutch master was the same but the slave was TOTALLY different, just an FYI I guess it could have been just that car or maybe the orientation of it or something, it just looked way different, I guess the worst case if you want to risk it is buy the Wagner unit and if it is wrong, return it

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take a look at Rockauto's page for 1994 Camaro Clutch Master cylinder. The last line specs out AC Delco part 1741072 (GM 12559912). Slave and Master assembly (together). $159.79.

1994 CHEVROLET CAMARO 3.4L 207cid V6 MFI (S) OHV : Clutch : Clutch Master Cylinder Wiki Price
EXEDY Part # MC334
w/ Master Cyl Pushrod H603A (Only 1 Remaining)

$50.79
Add to Cart
RHINOPAC Part # M0427
Base

$52.89
Add to Cart
BRUTE POWER / PERFECTION CLUTCH Part # 350014
Integrated System

$53.99
Add to Cart
EXEDY Part # MC331
w/ Master Cyl Pushrod CV601A (Only 1 Remaining)

$62.79
Add to Cart
WAGNER Part # CM132009 {#F132009}
7/8" Bore

$65.79
Add to Cart
SACHS Part # SH5147
Base; Standard

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 2 business days
$52.79
Add to Cart
ACDELCO Part # 385437 {#18M2182, 19182967} replaces 18M2182
CYLINDER,CLU MAS [US vehicles]; 2 DOORS
CYLINDER,CLU MAS [US vehicles]; CONVERTIBLE

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
$54.79
Add to Cart
ACDELCO Part # 1741072 {#12559912}
CYLINDER,CLU MAS & ACTR

* Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 5 business days
$159.79
Add

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
OP

IIRC you did the "hole in tunnel" mod so I would just buy a complete sealed unit and replace so no bleeding will be required.

NAPA sells both MC & slave for about $100....but not as a total sealed unit like the OEM GM unit or SACHS one at Rock..

·
Registered
757 Posts
OP

IIRC you did the "hole in tunnel" mod so I would just buy a complete sealed unit and replace so no bleeding will be required.

NAPA sells both MC & slave for about $100....but not as a total sealed unit like the OEM GM unit or SACHS one at Rock..
Hey Roger, can you post pics and instructions on how you did that mod? I just put in my new clutch and I think my hydraulics are shot. Probably got too much air in them when we took apart the tranny, had to losen up the hydraulic fittings. I bleed the crap out of them, but still the pedal is too soft. I'm going to order new hydraulics, probably from RMS. Here's a link, it's $138.

http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddetail.php?prod=12559912

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
Hey Roger, can you post pics and instructions on how you did that mod? rl]
yeah dave i did not have great luck bleeding when I broke apart OEM hydraulics either. Using a Mighty Vac may be the only way to really do it completely. that is what Noel wound up doing.

the pic shows where I drilled the hole

IIRC it was a 2"-2 1/2" hole saw I had. picked up a 4" round electrical plate cover for $1 at hardware store and notched it to receive a rubber grommet (size required for grommet) about 1" and the hole in tunnel just enough to slide 1/2 the gromet on. You need to cut the gromet so you can wrap it around the metal line of hydraulics which will be sandwiched between the plate and hole in tunnel. You can either screw on plate or use rivits....the round plate i bought already had holes drilled around it

you need to pull console and carpet back. more room to work if you remove the DS seat....

the "tunnel hole" mod will allow the slave to be passed through the tunnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, I did mine exactly like BallSS. His instructions were priceless back a few years ago.

·
Registered
826 Posts
so did you guys ever find out if the wagner part worked for 96-97's? I would prefer not to spend the extra 60bucks if I don't have to.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know why it wouldn't. Reason being is that the GM part works for those years, so why not the Wagner part, if it was fabricated after the same design (should have been - it's aftermarket). I would ask my local jobber if he could get in the Wagner part. Maybe you could compare/contrast between the GM part?

Reverend Robert Tilton

·
Registered
826 Posts
yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I posted here http://ltxtech.com/forums/showthrea...989)-Master-Slave-cylinder-kit.-Anyone-use-it as well, hoping to hear back from that guy soon as he said he ordered it and was going to try it on his which appears to be a 96 camaro Z28.

I called rock auto today and asked them, and all they dd was call Wagner who told them (vaguely) that there was a split in the 93-95's vs 96-97s whatever that means.

I did notice though that the Wagner CM140989 part only shows up on rock auto under 93-95 camaros/firebirds/trans ams, and the Sachs sph002 comes up under 93-97 camaros, but only comes up under 93-95 firebird/ta's. I thought that in itself was odd.

I'll keep diggin to see what I find out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts