Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'96 Caprice Wagon. Has air shocks and stock springs. Auto-level is disabled and there is a single schrader valve to manually set the air shocks.

I've never had shocks like this. Is there any guidance for PSI to run these shocks at? Or do I literally just set it to what levels the rear end to where I like it? I can't make out the brand but the shocks are white and look pretty beefy.

I need to tow a relatively empty 6x12 enclosed trailer so I also wanted to check if there is anything particular I may need to do for these shocks when towing?

I plan to swap in Bilsteins and Airlift air bags in the coils. I may swap Moog cargo coils but unsure on that just yet. This was the setup I have in my '94 wagon and it worked well towing.
But I won't be able to work out the suspension just yet so will use what I've got for now.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
If memory serves the manual fill delco shock was min 8 , max 90.

Max because, well,,,, pop
min because less and the bellows would fold over and wear on it self.

Sort of what ever it takes to be level.
If a guy is in the upper ranges , then he should be rethinking springs or loading.
I never liked the idea of asking the shock mounts to hold up the car.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never liked the idea of asking the shock mounts to hold up the car.
This was my thinking too. At least for me since I plan on towing a small enclosed trailer.
I'll probably be converting to the Airlift bags setup w/ Bilsteins, but won't get the parts installed in time before I have to tow this weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts