Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend rebuild his 95 Roadmaster Wagon. We got to talking, and he really wants to replace the body bushings. Is it all the same bushings as the ones for a sedan? I had a full set a few years back, but ended up selling them when things got tight. He said he can't seem to find them anymore, but I have only looked a few places. If he can't find the stock 9C1 rubber, is there an aftermarket place that makes them? Is Poly to stiff for a southern daily driver? I know some poly bushings have a tendancy to squeak. Is it this way with the body bushings?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
No doubt one of the experts will chime in but here's my understanding of the body bushing issue. 9C1's got extra bushings and the factory set are the ones to purchase. Problem here is that the supply of factory bushings are drying up quickly and they're near impossible to find anymore. Energy Suspensions sells a set of poly bushings in both a hard and soft version. Both are considerable firmer than stock but the softer ones are the ones to buy. Some will say that the firm ones are a bit too brutal for a daily driver and others don't mind the punishment. I guess it all depends on your age and backside sensitivity, LOL. I have a set of the firm bushings that I bought here from a forum member thinking they were the softer ones. I haven't installed them yet so I can't give you my personal opinion on the ride. As for the bushings squeaking, I would just grease them with a good marine grade grease when installing them. That's what I did when I replaced all the bushings in the front suspension with poly and I haven't had a problem.

I hate to be "that guy" but this is definitely one of those topics where the search feature is your friend. This has been discussed at length and there is a lot of good info to be found on the subject.

·
Registered
524 Posts
i thought the wagons had 1 more bushing than sedans

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I think you're looking for this....originally lost last year, but I was able to restore it from another source.

I have not updated the information since last November, so I do not know if any of the parts that were still available at that time have since been discontinued.

Comparing the 3 different applications, you can see there is more similarity between the wagon and 9C1 than the other (SS) configuration.

Zack (PPM) WAS trying to do something, but it's been a good while, and he's not responded to efforts to reach him or provide an update about this....no idea if his intention was to support all 3 configurations. Maybe he'll fill us in soon.

I'm helping a friend rebuild his 95 Roadmaster Wagon. We got to talking, and he really wants to replace the body bushings. Is it all the same bushings as the ones for a sedan?

Your memory is failing you, Cory!
(bottom of the page)

i thought the wagons had 1 more bushing than sedans
I believe you're probably thinking about the fact that the SS and civi Caprice (not sure about RM sedans or FW's) lacked a lower cushion on #3 body mount, where the 9C1 and wagons had all of them---there are 7 body mount positions per side on the B-body and D-body, so a complete replacement involves 14 upper mount cushions and 12 lower cushions (#5 is an upper-only part).

This count DOES NOT include the radiator support mounts, which are NOT "body" mounts.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you really want a firmer ride... do what us circle track guys do.. that require a stock bushing.. use real hockey pucks.. drilled to size.

FYI.. last RMW body I had off the frame.. there were 16 body mounts/pucks.... of course I counted the two under the radiator core support..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts