Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what the best 1/4 launch technique is for my near stock tow package wagon. Wondering what to expect.

Is there a recommened RPM to hold, or do you just floor it from idle?

My FWD car is pretty tricky, but I expect the wagon to be extremely simple. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the exact same wagon which I'm also getting ready to race for the first time (after racing my 9c1 a lot). Don't bother power-braking - just put the left foot on the brake and have the right foot ready on the gas - leave on the third yellow (just count "one - two - THREE"). There's no point in powerbraking because all that preload you put into the drivetrain will just cause you to spin during launch, especially with a stock converter and stock tires.

I've been fooling around with launches on the street and unless the track is in great shape, I'll probably spin off the line, so most likely I'll just quickly, smoothly take the gas to WOT. It's that first 20 feet that'll kill you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I load up my TC to around around 1500 rpm (launch from idle = tire spin). On the stock TC just load it up to around 1200 rpm (I got my 60' down to a 2.00x with just gears). Hey Charlie don't you have a T56 in your wagon?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Klez. Launch from idle causes tire spin and smoke-wasted power. I never spin from a loaded launch unless the tires break loose first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with Klez. Launch from idle causes tire spin and smoke-wasted power. I never spin from a loaded launch unless the tires break loose first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting
When my car was stock with 2.93 Posi it wouldn't spin the tires no matter what I did.

Hey Charlie, what 60 foots are you getting?

Gerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I just got a tach installed tonight. You can feel the car lift the drivers side at about 1200 RPM so I guess that's about where our stock stall is.

I have gotten my best 60' times at this track, so I expect good track prep as usual. My FWD'er can pull 2.1 = 2.2's on street tires. I'd expect similar from the wagon. Much more weight to push forward though.

If I drive the car then I'll let you know what I find. I was trying to get my wife to drive it. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will have to run again and save slips. I am running a 3.73 rear with a few upgrades, but not many. I have the t56 in one of my 95 sedans. Setting up another 4.56 rear for that one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a fun day.

I think just a slight load on the converter was best. I had NO tire spin problems no matter what I did because of the track prep.

I had some problems getting my shifting pattern down (gotta love the computer control)

I would start in 3rd gear for a higher RPM 1-2 shift, then pull the lever down to 2nd so that I could finish in 2nd gear. On my last run I hit the limiter right after the line. Any other method results in a low 1-2 shift and low 2-3 shift before the end of the track. On several of my runs there was a track problem or other issue that caused a brain fart during staging that would screw up my shifting technique.

I have done the TB bypass, first base and home plate delete. That is all. Factory Delco filter. Even had the full size aluminum spare in the car.

60' = 2.241 (consistant 2.2's all day)
330' = 6.534 (6.6-6.5)
1/8 ET = 10.083 (10.0-10.3)
1/8 MPH = 69.56 (68.4-69.5)
1/4 ET = 15.652 (15.6-15.9)
1/4 MPH = 88.6 (87.2-88.6)

This is a tow package, 2.93, posi car. I was on the stock 225 width rear tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Programming PCM is the best way to control shift points of your car.
My trans has had programming and shift kit so it doesn't operate as from factory.
All this being said and no recommendations here-
One of my first cars was a brand new 1974 455 Trans AM, no it wasn't an SD and in those years the Big Blocks were a little ill, and this was a Turbo 400 trans.
ANyway, I found that if I left it in Low, it would still make the 1-2 shift only it would be at a higher RPM than if I had it in Drive. Probably banged into 2nd when it hit above redline. I would then move the lever to 2nd and make a manual 2-3 shift. Also it would always chirp the tires hitting second when I used this feature :D
I raced a few other 455 TA's and we were so close that we were side by side until they hit the 1-2 shift (in Drive) My back tires were chirping into second as they passed next to the driver in the other car.
OK I'm old but ah those memories are brought to life as I smoke the tires on the wagon.
Hell it's faster than my 455 TA was.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
"rweatherford"........

This is why they have time trials or practice runs..... no 2 cars run the same & every driver has his/her own technique. So, get there early & make as many runs as you can to get the feel of how your car reacts. Just to make things interesting, track conditions (traction) change from one track to the next.

Just my $.02

Good luck & let us know how you do...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by 95wagon:
Interesting
When my car was stock with 2.93 Posi it wouldn't spin the tires no matter what I did.

Gerry
Ditto - both 94 and 95 tow equipped 2.93 posi wagons of mine DO NOT spin the tires from an idle stomp. My '94 will slightly spin if I load the converter.

.....my '94 with 149,xxx miles will also toast the '95 with 76,xxx miles - no idea why

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mine would spin stomping it off the line but I have a 2.93 one-legged animal. Plus the track didn't have any prep to either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.