Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still confused about lowering my wagon. I only want to lower the front an inch or 2. All of the lowering springs are made for sedans. Does this mean that they will lower my wagon more than advertised? I've seen some statements suggesting that SS springs will raise the front of a wagon. How can this be when I thought SS cars sat lower than others? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
797 Posts
as far as I know an ss spring drops a wagon and a 9c1 spring would lift it

have seen the deference in how a wagon and an ss sit side by side? an ss sits a good i inches lower than a wagon

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
as far as I know an ss spring drops a wagon and a 9c1 spring would lift it

have seen the deference in how a wagon and an ss sit side by side? an ss sits a good i inches lower than a wagon
It is not as you would think. I put 1996 Impala SS springs in the front of my car and it raised it!!!! The spring is shorter in the Impala, but the spring diameter is bigger and spring rate is is greater. Therefore because the front of our cars are lighter than the sedan (our big butts cantilever some of the weight of the front wheels) the shorter Impala springs raised my car 1" or 2" from the stock springs.

Things are a little different with wagons because of weight distrubution. Wagons are heavier in the rear, so they tend not to drop as much as sedans.
What he said!

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
From everything I've read on the forum over the years, as has been said, an SS spring raises the front of the wagon. The cheapest alternative is the 9C1 spring with 1 coil cut from it. All reports indicate this will give a drop of 1 1/2" - 2". But it must be a 9C1 spring, not just a Caprice spring.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
just buy some used lowering springs from the forum for a sedan.

I have intrax springs and I wouldn't want my car lowered any more.
I would shoot for some hotchkis for a minor drop.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I guess it makes sense now that i think of it........if I raise the pressure on my air shocks you can feel the front kinda lift when the back drops off of a speed bump

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've got Bell 2" drop spindles on mine, BUT it was done by Kicker in 1993 when they first go the vehicle ready for show. Noon ether remembers anything else done uo front. It also has a Hotchkis sedan rear bar bolted on with an adapter plate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. Here's my point. If SS springs lower a sedan but raise a wagon, how do the springs designed to lower an SS lower a wagon?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
From everything I've read on the forum over the years, as has been said, an SS spring raises the front of the wagon. The cheapest alternative is the 9C1 spring with 1 coil cut from it. All reports indicate this will give a drop of 1 1/2" - 2". But it must be a 9C1 spring, not just a Caprice spring.
Why not just cut one coil off the stock wagon spring. Absolutely no doubt about it you would for sure lower the front end.
The 9C1 springs are pretty stiff to begin with, cutting a coil will make it even stiffer, maybe too stiff? Cutting a stock wagon spring could very well add just the right amount of stiffness.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
The stock civi wagon front spring is so soft to start with, cutting it will make your car drive like a POS. It will be all over the snubbers and become very harsh.

First hand info, I tried it while trying to get the front of my car down in an ill fated attempt to keep air out from out of my car at the drags.
The car drove like crap, I had them back out in about two days!

For what it's worth, I use 9C1frong springs cut one coil. Optimum? maybe not but a pretty good all round setup.

FWI the wagon weighs about 100 pounds less on the front than a sedan due to the long rear overhang and cantilever effect that tailgate way back there causes.
Gerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now this is making a little more sense. I've always wondered why guys didn't just cut a coil of the wagon springs, which is what I was considering. It looks like one coil cut off a 9C1 spring will be perfect for me. If I find a moog spring labeled for "heavy duty" use will this be the same as a 9C1 spring?

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Sorry, I don't know the Moog direct cross number , or if there even is one.
They seem to be very general with their cross overs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts