Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was parked outside a grocery store sitting and waiting for my wife to return with a few things we needed, and HEY, a decent RMW woody slowly pulls into the handicap stall three cars away.

I am curious, so I watch to see what kind of benefit this wagon is to the person(s) that will get out. I've heard that they are pretty darn convenient for handicap access / egress. I wait to see if the person needs to unload a wheel chair or crutches, or whatever. I watch as a very well dressed lady gets out the passenger side first, I expect that she'll go around to help her husband now. Nope, her husband gets out the drivers side, he's very well dressed too, he pulls his pants up and properly arranges himself, then they proudly saunter on to the store cart corral, pick out a nice cart, then enter the store.

WTF..?

I get out to take a closer look at the car, and yep, HC tag hanging from the mirror...

What a couple of Cakesuckers! They were maybe mid 70s, in very good shape from the look of things, but have such little self respect that they have to exaggerate their maladies to the point that they can get the best parking spot in front of the store?

I wish I had some of that C4C solution that you pour in the tank to take these people down!

What a cop-out to feign a problem just to get a good parking spot! I'd be so embarassed to even get in or out of the car in such a parking spot.

Sorry guys, had to vent a bit as I was let down by a wagon guy / Pussy!

· Registered
341 Posts
wow man.. how bout you consider that HC tag a trophy for making it into thier mid-70s together? thats one hell of an accomplishment these days.

worst thread ever.

· Registered
24 Posts
It's wrong to assume that all medical conditions requiring a HC parking permit are visible to others. Do you know the driver or passenger doesn't have a heart condition, or emphysema?

I know that the HC permit thing is abused by some, but on an individual basis, you arn't able to judge who needs one and who doesn't.

· Premium Member
2,786 Posts
It's wrong to assume that all medical conditions requiring a HC parking permit are visible to others. Do you know the driver or passenger doesn't have a heart condition, or emphysema?

I know that the HC permit thing is abused by some, but on an individual basis, you arn't able to judge who needs one and who doesn't.
very true!my wife has a HC permit but looks normal but she takes more medicine than a walgreens including high does of morphine. cant belive some people get jeoulus over a parking space. wait till one day you have a loved one thats very sick on the INSIDE.

· Registered
1,230 Posts

+1 I know a few people (aside from Tim's wife) that also 'look' healthy but have chronic conditions that properly warrant a tag.

On that note, there will always be those that will figure out a way to 'beat' the system. Don't have pre-conceived ideas or prejudice.

That said, we are all human and at one time or another we get pissed at what we think is an injustice. I used to get pissed at guys who would park their 'vettes crooked taking up two spots to avoid parking lot dings. Then I spend time making my truck all nice and the third day out of paint got in an accident (not my fault) so know I understand and it doesn't bother me.

· Registered
261 Posts
My father, who is 83, walks with a cane and it's very obvious that he has trouble navigating. But there was a time a few years ago when he didn't use the cane, and walked almost normally. He was having a difficult time, but was too proud to show it. He tried his best to hide it. Oh, and he always wears a suit and tie.

I find myself wanting to get mad at people who seem to abuse HC parking. But then I have to think of my father and keep my mouth shut.

· Registered
35 Posts
Im the kind of guy that saves the close spots for women and old folks and it kind of ticks me off to see kids and punks park as close as they can to the stores when i see a pregnant woman walking from 12 spaces out.

The HC spot needs to be for people who really NEED it, not people who have off again on again pains and whatnot. Ive seen my fair share of people with handicap permits just bounce right out of their cars with a pep in their step and I think wtf. Hell ive got a bum knee Uncle Sam gave me years ago that gives me issues but you wont find me in the line for a HC permit. If you have a permit thats fine but if you feel good when you get to the store then save the spot for someone else that may have real need of it.

That being said I was cruising next to an older (probably 70s) couple a while back and waved and they got all excited about our matching wagons and gave me a nice wave and smile. :):)

· Registered
305 Posts

This is quite true. My parents have one due to my mothers heart problems. I don't have one but you would never know i am disabled by looking at me.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You would mess up a CAR, just because the owner/driver did something you don't agree with?

I don't know about you guys, but I think I smell something...
What do ya smell? Yeah I messed up his car didn't I... Take a pill dude, I didn't do squat to him or his car! Does venting on this site make me an a$$hole? No underlying issues, I just see a cheat! What do you do when you see that? ignore it? I doubt it! Even the guy who passed me when I was eyeing the car laughed about them. Guess ya smell him too?

24 hours later, yeah maybe it looks like I may have over reacted, you all made good points, that's cool. I appreciate the perspective. But, if WE ALL were watching the same thing, I know you'd all be saying the same thing. I know a fraud when I see one.

I know a disabled person when I see one, I know cardiac issues all to well (not that I ever wanted to), I know respiratory issues all to well, I know joint issues, I've seen ailing people of all walks. Worked closely in the healthcare and extended healthcare industry. I have numerous friends / family who have or need Handicap Permits, I don't begrudge ANYBODY who needs one. Them using a parking permit doesn't bother me in the least. Some ailing people can't get a permit because "they don't qualify", some refuse to even get one, and us 'concerned family' try to convice them to apply. Nope, too proud. It pains me to see them that way.

Believe me guys, I'm there with all of you that some unfortunate people need extra help and support. I do more than my share through our church group, and for my senior neighors (man am I tired of mowing acres of lawn once a week, and being everyone's handiman!). In fact, there isn't nearly the respect for our elderly. I'm not the least bit jealous of a parking spot! I park the hell away from the front door for that reason (and the other reasons too).

Very simply, this couple were cheats! The lady was out first, looked great for being 70 or so, the guy didn't even have to spin his butt in the seat and grab hold of the door? Sh!t he gets out easier than I do!

My own parents aren't nearly in as good a shape, and they don't "cheat" to get a permit, but, they sure as hell make sure to get the seniors discount on everything that they can!

Rant off, let's let this die!

· Registered
53 Posts
Mid 70s...and your complaining?
At least they did not take a regular spot that you can use.
Were you jealous?
Maybe you will get your tag sooner than they did.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I was in a Boston Market in West Chester, PA. When I pulled in I was admiring a convertible Ferrari parked in front. Then it came to me it was in a handicap spot. There were only a few folks in the store, so I was trying to pick out the IDIOT who parked in that spot and did not have a HC tag. Turns out it was a 70+ year old guy driving it, but it sure did not seem that he would have had trouble walking from the VERY NEXT SPOT, that was not a handy-cap spot. I kinda got a chuckle out of such stupidity.

Yes I get grumpy to!!!!

Years ago I had a "brain trust" pull into a HC spot in front of a dry cleaners with a Mercedes (West Shore Plaza, Camp Hill, PA). His wife pops out of the car with kids and starts heading across the lot. A hollered to her to ask if she realized that it was a HC spot. She looked my way and said something to her husband. He jumped out and asked me if I had a problem. I said that I was just pointing out the fact he was in a HC spot but had not tag anywhere. He became upset and headed toward me. When he got to me his nose bumped into the middle of my chest and he began to rethink his actions. I just stood my ground and nicely suggested he move his car. I asked him if he was mentally handicapped. As he glanced over his shoulder he realized that about 50 people were now watching his actions from the curb of the plaza . He then hastily retreated toward his car and moved it to an approriate spot. I felt good about my decision to challenge him when moments later a 80+ year old women legally pulled into that same spot.

· Premium Member
5,440 Posts
Ive had a placard for 14 years, I do tend to use the handicapped spots if
A. Im driving the ss to a shopping center. its big, collects door dings easily and theres alot of fobs in my neighborhood.
I also have to be able to swing the drivers door open all the way to get out because of the leg.

B. Im sore and dont feel llke walking a marathon.

Ive had two people give me grief. one was an old guy who glared at me when I parked in a hc stall.
when I got out he went oh and walked off.

another was some old biddy that harrangued me that I was parking in a van accessible hc spot and I shouldnt be parking in those if there were others available. the fact that there were none available seemed to be oblivious to her cwm6

I usually wont say something to somebody who looks fit using a hc spot, some medical conditions arent visible. but I do feel like keying cars that park in the lines between hc stalls, Ive chewed out a couple people that done that.

hopefully I will be getting aproved for a c leg in couple weeks :)

· Premium Member
5,440 Posts
Wow,

That AL looks pretty darned high tech! More expensive than a wagon?

Sorry to hear about your situation, appreciate you input.

Stretch

thanks, bout the only high tech is the carbon fiber.
the c leg is computerized and goes for $33K but kaiser is aproving them now for high activity amputees.
after breaking/wearing out parts on the current one after only a couple years Im sure I am active enough to justify the new leg lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.