Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
This is pretty cool! I'm wondering where the drilling is? In the frame, where the links attach?

Here's an Upgaded ADDCO bar from Summit, that comes with everything but the exhaust clamps for 150 bucks.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-650/?image=large

I may just have to try this. How's the car, nuetral?

· Registered
880 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the slotted hole you're talking about? And did you take pics of where you drilled?

· Registered
880 Posts
I just can't see how with that much load under spirited driving, how the muffler clamps are strong enough to keep things in place on the axle???

And... Has anyone seen how much those panthers lean in the corners? Aren't they also lighter than our cars? So how is their stock bar going to be an upgrade? I mean, sure, it's better for us than NO bar... But would those that really want these cars to handle be better suited to a Set of Hotchkis bars designed for our vehicles? Or maybe just an upgraded panther bar? Or is this design that much superior to ours that it'll make a HUGE difference?

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want this to work for me! :)

I just want to make sure it's the right thing to do, too. ;)

· Registered
880 Posts
Think about the front bar attaching point for the bushings. There are four relatively small bolts holding the bushing plate to the frame. The muffler clamps appear to be far stronger than those bolts so I would judge that the attachment of the anti-sway bar to the axle is substantial. I've checked mine and it has not rotated or shifted whatsoever. I don't baby this car in the turns, and it gets a good workout as a wagon. The rear end links are also rock solid, and sit as close to perpendicular as my eyeballs can tell.
That's a very good point. There really isn't all that much "strength" holding on the front bar, and it sees higher side loads...

Worst case, I'm out what, 25 bucks for a boneyard bar? :) I think I'm going to try it when I do the SS rear in the wagon. It'll save me some "up front" money for beefier control arms.

· Registered
880 Posts
Found that Addco makes a 1" bar for the FS Fords, too. Their PN is 650.

Summit link:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACO-650/

So if the 50 dollar bar isn't enough, maybe this slightly thicker one will be better? Oh, not sure if it was mentioned before, but it does appear that the one recommended in here IS actually the PN for the stock Marauder bar. So it's the beefiest of the Panther bars offered by Ford. I can't wait to try this swap! Gotta start prepping my disc brake rear! :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.