Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

Wagon rear sway bar - from Ford (specs and pics)

105K views 266 replies 72 participants last post by  GoremanX 
#1 ·
Since the old thread is probably gone, and I came across a file of mine showing the part numbers, I figured I'd repost the setup.

Sway Bar: Ford YW7Z-5A772-CA
End Links: Energy Suspension 9.8125 ENS-9-8125R
Bushings: Energy Suspension 9.5157 ENS-9-5157G
3” exhaust clamps: Summit SUM-G4730 SUM-G4730

I think the above parts came to maybe $100. I ordered the sway bar new from gentryfordparts.com but any online Ford will do.

This shows the muffler clamps as the pivot/bushing mount on the axle, and the relationship of the end link to the frame. I changed mine to go into the crossbracing U-channel next to it for an even more solid mount.

Completed, you can hardly even see it's there. No loss of ground clearance.

I think this took me all of 30 minutes to install, when I originally bolted the end links into that slotted frame brace. Drilling holes into the U-channel was a bit of a chore, but was a simple task. I put the WS6 bar up front, and this 4,200 lb wagon feels more like a sport sedan.

If anybody has any questions for clarification, just post and I'll answer them.

See less See more
#122 ·
Makes no sense to use a 31mm bushing for a 22mm bar, are you sure the diameters are right? You want to slightly compress the urethane bushing to make the system tight; over compressing the bushing will make it split.

In general the right amount of compression does not exceed 10% on a stressed rubber part.

#125 ·
I would also recommend you replace your front swaybar endlinks at the same time. That made a difference for me.

If you're going to order the Energy Suspension bushings, get the 20mm ones. The 22mm ones are simply too loose around the 21mm Ford bar to work, so I used the stock rubber ones that came with the swaybar.

#127 ·
I've now logged tens of thousands of kms on this setup - summer, winter, TONS of highway, fully loaded and not, and it continues to hold up great. I've found no movement underneath of any components, no weaknesses showing. It's a nice, reliable, well behaved modification. I haven't found any downside to this.

Keep up the ideas, folks.

#129 ·
Go to post #1, picture #2. The bar arms curve upwards and flatten out to horizontal at the end links. If you fit the sway bar both ways, you'll see immediately which one will cause you the problem.

#130 ·
Wagon Rear Sway Bar

I installed a 98 Crown Vic police interceptor 17mm sway bar on my 94 wagon over the weekend. Tried to buy the 21mm sway bar from Ford but they are backordered with no availability date. The install went very well and has made a noticeable difference. The only problem I ran into was that a 3 inch muffler clamp from O'Reilly's is actually a 3.25 inch inner diameter clamp. Had to use a 2.75 inch clamp.

#141 ·
I haven't had any clearance issues. I have a Ford bar and the Pypes Impala SS exhaust on my wagon, there is enough room.

Mike

#132 ·
I've ordered and have everything for this mod except the Sway Bar. Searching online I was able to find everything including the 22mm SB but two different vendors canceled the order after taking it because they didn't have any in stock. Can someone direct me to a source or maybe you have one you'd like to sell? Thanks in advance for the help.

#134 ·
got mine from kearny pearson ford 7303 clairemont measa san diego ca 92111..part number yw7z-5a772-ca..sorry dont have phone number..think price was about $60 shipped

#133 ·
Ford 21 MM sway bar

I have also tried to order this sway bar but they are backordered with no expected availability date. Titus-Will Ford in Tacoma will take an order and place it in backorder status. If there is one or more available, please let me know. I used a 17mm sway bar from a Crown Vic police interceptor as an interim solution

#135 ·
From the FordParts.com website....

Due to low demand, Ford Motor Company is no longer manufacturing the following part(s) you selected: F1VY5A772A

As a result, the part(s) may be subject to limited or lack of availability, may take your dealer longer to procure or may not be available at the suggested retail price. Your dealer may contact you regarding fulfillment options and/or changes to pricing. If applicable, you will not be charged any additional cost without your prior authorization. Please contact your dealer with any questions or concerns.

Junkyards are the place now, the part in 18mm was used on 1992 to 2007 Crown Vics and Police Interceptors. There are search engines on junkyard websites, but because they have the car, doesn't mean it has the option. Limo's and Incerceptors seemed to always have them. Got my brother one at a yard recently.

You may get lucky at a dealer, but the ones I've bought were all dealer ordered, never in stock

#136 ·
If anyone is interested, I ordered one of these bars in and it's in my garage and will likely not be going on the wagon as I've decided not to mod it as it's up for sale. PM me if you want the bar as it's still got the shipping label on it. The part number is YW7Z*5A772*CA

#139 ·
96WagnGuy, I didn't get your PM. drolds2U, shoot me a PM so we don't clutter the thread.

#144 ·
Install it good, and you,ll have no problems

#145 ·
I'm about to finish up year 2 on my P71 sway. No problems to report, I think it's going to be fine.

-Leland

#147 ·
Finally installed my bar last week...wow it drives like a completely different car. I got a used 17.5MM bar for 16 bucks and 40 for new Bushings and End Links.

Enlarged the holes that were already in this Channel and the bar fits like it came from the Factory. If that big chunk of Steel cannot handle a sway bar I don't know what can.

#148 ·
WOW! Really like that the Crown Vic Cop Car rear sway bar to Caprice Wagon up-grade has finally 'caught on' 2nd time around!

I'm "NGrownToNale" or "alumcantandthd" on here. I originally posted that 'swap' idea I discovered (before big crash) in '05 or '06.

My idea discovery was met with unfavorable/derogatory, remarks/comments. (ex; "no way a 'ford' part will go on a Chevy, etc, etc, etc.)

I was reading all the problems you guys were having, huge cost for a rear bar that would fit/work, or destroy LCA's, or try and bend a SS bar/'70s GM wagon to fit, and a couple of other non 100% ideas!

I was in a J/Y back then, saw a Crown Vic on it's side. That rear frame/suspension looks idetntical to a Caprice/R/M wagon! Found a wrecked wagon in it's side. Sure enough! After extensive measuring. BOTH rear frame sections, mounting hardware, were the same. The ONLY difference, the Crown Vic frame gusset has a hole and the Caprice R/M Wagon's gusset has a slot. So why can't a OEM Crown Vic rear sway bar and hardware mount and work on a Caprice R/M Wagon?

So I torched the CV rear end housing sway bar mount off (you guys are using muffler clamps) and welded it to the Wagon rear end housing. Bolted everything else right in, using Urathane bushings. A NIGHT DAY handling/cornering improvement for 'pennies'!

I sold the wagon to a member on here sometime ago, he made 'his' improvements, and continues to 'raves' about the increased handling between his 'winter/beater' RM Wagon, and the 'summer' Caprice Wagon!

Thanks for all the positive comments!

Those full sized Bronco, and F-150 PU's rear sway bar assemblys, are almost a direct 'bolt in' on other 'antique/Street Rod' applications!

#149 ·
Well, with close to four years and lots of miles on the Ford rear anti-roll bar, I can report nothing but good things. Handling in every situation was improved, there has been no cracking or bending of steel anywhere, the muffler clamps have proven to be very secure mounts, and it has never given me even a second of doubt in its capabilities. Passengers in the car cannot get over how flat and stable and well-behaved it is when cornering, taking off-ramps at well over the 'caution' speed posted. They don't expect it from such a boat.

The only question to wagon owners, what are you waiting for?

#150 ·
"NGrownToNale", Thank You for doing the Grunt Work to get this fantastic mod started. I read, your post, went to ORD dealer for CV Bar, it was $ 62.00 very well spent.
As many have said before , go and get some U Bolt at a Trailer dealer. Do Not use Exhaust Clamps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.