Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am dealing with my washer fluid leaking out on my 94. Today, I took the tank out, cleaned everything, removed the float and the pumps. Once I got everything back together, I filled it with straight water, and I found that the leak is coming from under the rear pump. The rubber gasket is still there, and both pumps are seated down as far as they can go. The water is seeping out very slowly from the space under the pump. Can't tell if it is coming out between the tank and the gasket, or, between the gasket and the pump.

Anyone else deal with this? Any ideas on a fix for me? I'm thinking silicone time, but am open to ideas...

Jason.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Gasket has probably gotten hard from age and doesn't seal anymore. Swap the two and see if the leak follows

·
Registered
815 Posts
Sometimes also, the pump stems become cracked from the main body of the pump because they are small and fracture easy. Both the front and rear pump got crack on my car there, and the water all came out in a parking lot the first time, and I thought something bad happened when I came back to the car to find a pond under the front left! I mended them with clear silicone. The clamping action of the tank for the pumps holds them in place fine for the silicone to dry. Then there was no more leaks. I drain the water out in the winter so it doesn't freeze and crush the tank and pumps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.