Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to beat a dead horse with this,(yes, i performed a search), but with so many different choices for suspension rebuild kits, which seems to be the best? is the pst stuff as good as claimed? or am i better of going with the dana/spicer stuff that bill listed?
this wagon front end is shot!! i want to rebuild it, but i want to do it right the first time. i don't wanna order a kit and it have some things not included. so, what's my best option? i'm gonna use dropped spindles and the monroe severe service shocks. i have a moog idler arm, and centerlink, no it's time to do it all at once.
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
matt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
- I don't know tha there is one "kit" that includes absolutely everything necessary to rebuild your entire front end.

As far as what would be "best" for you, you would need to give more info about your goals pertaining to ride quality, vehicle use, driving style and budget.

This topic has one of the most comprehensive knowledge bases on the forum. Are there any specific questions you were left with after you read the results of your search?

-Jay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just want the front to feel soild. i have owned several b-bodys and all needed front end work. i have driven many other impalas and they felt rock solid comparatively. i spent alot of money with a shop rebuilding my last caprice front end and it never felt good.
i want this thing to feel new. no autocrossing, no drags, just cruising. the car will be bagged after july, so springs are not important, just everything else. bushings, joints, etc. the pst kit looks good, mabye i should just go with that? i'm just looking for a few opinions to base my choice on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were doing it, I'd stick to either Moog or AC/Delco (which is, for the most part, made by Dana/Spicer I believe) for the front end parts. This excludes some specialty parts I used. But that's just my opinion, and what I did on my car ;) .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the PST kit, WHO makes the stuff in it????

That is my main issue with most PST stuff. They don't manufacture anything, they just package and resell......and are pretty dang vague on exactly what they are reselling ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point ED, I asked Zack and never got a answer about who the manufacture was. Looking at the parts They are of better quality than I have gotten from the local Pep boys but I would hesitate to say they where GM finest. There are no casting marks that i can redily identify a manufacture by, but there are p/n on the parts themselves. Ill ask Zack to fill us in as best he can so that we can get rid of some of the mysterey around this kit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ordered the pst kit for my wagon front end. The local shop couldn't believe that I had "everything"
needed for the rebuild, until I put it on his lap, BAM! My 92, feels like a 05, OOoo-cow-cow!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every single component in the Impala SS front end kit is Moog or the OEM supplier to GM. None of it is made by a no-name foreign company.

The center link is made by the same company who supplied it to GM from the factory.

The bushings are PST's own proprietary POLYGRAPHITE line.

I hope this clears some things up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Zack.....that certainly would raise my confidence level about the PST kit.

Only other question would be which idler arm it comes with. For the rest of the stuff, OEM is fine to decent.....but the stock idler is pretty badly underengineered OEM. Hopefully, that's one of the Moog parts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will this help handling drastically? My biggest copmlaint about my 1995 9c1 is handling. My old crown vic might have been slow, but it was like glue on the road.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
- I wasn't aware of the PST GP package linked above. Add a Center Link and you would have absolutely everything in one package.

For that "rock solid" handling you are after, don't forget GW upper and lower control arm bushings - (pricey, but rock solid).

Beyond that, don't minimize the importance of choices for swaybar, shocks and springs.

-Jay

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ed,

I don't want there to be a misunderstanding - the products are OEM-spec or Moog - but they are not the "T" series.

For example, the idler arm is the K6187, not the K6187T.

I do have some interesting new hardware that I'd like to discuss with you, if you want to contact me off the forum...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.