Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a difference between the tow pack and non tow pack springs?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
YES... the FE1 Dynaride springs were soft, and floaty. The FE2 or F40 Gran Touring springs were quit e bit stiffer. In the Sedan's, they were basically 9C1 springs. Int he wagons, the Rear would have had a higher load rating, and been stiffer.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
To further complex the issue, my 94 RMW with tow pack says Dynaride on the dash and FE9 on the SPID.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
FE9 is an emissions RPO code. Not a suspension code. I can't comment on the dynaride plaque ont he dash. But if they were tow pack cars, then they should have the stiffer springs, and the bigger front sway bar. That is the important stuff. The plaque... maybe theyy ran out? Or just a slip at the factory. who knows.

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
If your wagon is older and owned by an enthusiast, it may have had a dash swap, so going by what's engraved on the dash plastic is not your best option.

My 94 RMW has the F40 (HD suspension), G80 (posi), GW9 (2.93 axle), V08 (heavy duty cooling), V92 (tow pack). And I think it says "dynaride" on the dash. My bet is the marketers ("dynaride") didn't talk to the suspension guys very closely.

Some of these option codes are silly though. for example, mine has;
PD4 - 15x7 alloy wheel (listed as 5-spoke, actually)
PA5 - Sport wheel hubcap

Yeah...

·
Super Moderator
4,528 Posts
Check your spare tire cover or the third seat footwell cover. The SPID label with all the 3-digit codes is on one of those.

I realized I swapped my spare tire cover about 6 months ago so I called my local GM dealer's parts counter with the last 8 of the VIN and they faxed me a printout of all of the option codes for the car.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmm, I have a factory 94 tow pack RMW with Dynaride on the dash and F40 on the spid..... what up with dat Cory?
This is a 94 anomaly. There's no reliable indication of V92 from the dash in 94. See Joel's comment (Sherlock) as I think the same thing...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.