Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking into a wagon as a fun project but i need to to tow a car to the track on weekends (15 min each way)
will it handle a 2000-2100 LB car? if not on a trailer what about a tow dolly?
should i look for one with a towing package?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Get one of our wagons with the V92 trailering package and it is rated at 5000 pounds. Add the draw-tite class III/IV hitch. Then add trailer brake controller and a trailer with trailer brakes. Make sure that the trailer is loaded with about 10% tongue weight. And you're there. The Fleetwood towing package is rated at 7000 pounds with the only difference really being that it has a 3.42 rear end. If you are cracking 3500 pounds, go with weight distribution on the trailer so that some of the weight is put on the front tires as well.

Keys:
Trailering package (especially V08 heavy duty cooling - mechanical fan)
Class III/IV hitch
Trailer brake controller
Trailer with trailer brakes
Optionally - 3.42 gears
Optionally - deep Silverado transmission pan
Optionally (hard core) - Baer GT front brakes

Something else that I am putting in this winter is a transmission temperature gauge.

I tow in third gear for any significant load.
(BTW, I have ordered 3.42 gears and will be getting them installed next month)

HTH

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check the 91-96 Buick RoadMaster Estate Wagons. They have the towing package and you can yank 5000 lbs. with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Towing package was not standard was it? I am sure, just an option maybe a common one but an option none the less. Mechanical fan will just rob power, maybe a little milage and make the car louder, frankly I think it was more to give people who didn't think electrics could do the job an option to have mechanical. Also you would be much better off with a 94-96 over a 91-93, the LT1 has a good bit more power and better fuel economy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The V08 package also has an effective shroud that helps the mechanical fan to pull the air through the radiator. The mechanical will move significantly more air through the radiator at 60-70. Heat in the engine and transmission is a real killer for tow vehicles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mechanical will move significantly more air through the radiator at 60-70.
What do you base this on? I was under the impression that at speeds of about 45 and up, the fan's role was redundant to the incoming air due to road speed. I'll have to do some research.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 96capriceMGR:
Towing package was not standard was it? I am sure, just an option maybe a common one but an option none the less. Mechanical fan will just rob power, maybe a little milage and make the car louder, frankly I think it was more to give people who didn't think electrics could do the job an option to have mechanical. Also you would be much better off with a 94-96 over a 91-93, the LT1 has a good bit more power and better fuel economy.
Dude, have you noticed the size difference between the electric and the mechanical fans? ;) The mechanical WILL do a better job. I've towed with my 9c1 and my RM with mech fan, and the RM stays cooler. The mech fan is only loud if the motor gets real warm and the first couple minutes after start-up. Other than that, you don't hear it.

Spoo76, I tow ~3000 regualarly with the RM/tow package and you hardly know it's there. I'd put it up against any new 1/2 ton gas pickup for towing. Go for it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mechanical fan moves a lot more air, no doubt about it. It uses 10 HP, 20 Lb-ft of torque to spin, siphoned from the engine, compared to the 1/3 HP or less for the electric fans. It's primarily for low speed, high load though, such as very hot climates and/or lots steep, low speed hills with heavier than 2000 Lb trailer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dude, have you noticed the size difference between the electric and the mechanical fans? The mechanical WILL do a better job.
Um, the question was what does a better job at highway speeds!

GM seems to think that the fan BLOCKS air at highway speeds. Thus, the electric fans shut off somewhere around 45mph.

So at highway speed a mechanical fan not only blocks airflow, but it also sucks power (causing more heat build-up).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok a mechanical can move more air fine, but is it needed????? A walbro fuel pump would move more fuel than an L99 pump, but is it better in that application? No since the stock pump does the job well, the way I see it this fan discussion is the same thing. Electric fan car will run warmer at low speeds because fan on temp is controlled by the pcm, stock primary is around 220degrees where as a mechanical will keep it cooler, but reprogramming the fans can get the in-town temps back down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my experience, reprogaming the pcm in a dual fan car to turn on the primary fan at a lower temperature will not give the equivalent of the mechanical fan, or anywhere close. Both my SS and my wagon, with the tow package, have 160 stats and their respective temp guages are always at 1/4 in normal conditions. The SS has the fans turned on early per PCMFORLESS. However, when the going gets tough the mechanical fan cannot be beat. As an example, a few years ago I happened to be in South Carolina in late August with both of my cars on separate ocassions within a few days of each other. It was over 100f with 99% humidity. Driving my SS arround town and on local roads at 45 mph with 5 people aboard and the AC at max the temp guage went over 1/2. Driving the wagon with 8 people aboard under the same conditions the temp guage never went above 1/4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by HarryJ:
Um, the question was what does a better job at highway speeds!
Hmmm, missed the part about where he said highway speeds... maybe you could point that out to me... I assumed we were talking about conditions where you need fans, not open highway situations...

Is it NEEDED? Not normally, but in extreme temps is could be the difference between getting where you're going and sitting there on the side of the road. I've had the same experience as 2LTONES. My 9c1 temp gage would sometimes go over 1/2 towing my boat, where the RM has never gone over normal. Also keep in mind, the difference would be even greater if you're talking standard cooling (which is possible in a wagon I think, but I'm not sure) vs. V08. If you don't see V03 or V08, it's a pretty wimpy cooling system.

Spoo76, I also highly recommend G67, auto load leveler. That thing is the nuts! And to answer your last question, yes, get one with the tow package, you won't regret it! Look for V92 (trailer provisions), V08 (HD cooling), G67 (load leveler), F40 (HD susp), GW9 (2.93s), G80 (posi), JA2 (HD brakes). A mechanical fan means it has the tow package, but I'm not sure what all that includes. I'd love to know if anyone knows for sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow thanks for all the replis and info
Hopefully i'll find what i need when it comes down to it.
knowing me even the tow vehicle wont stay stock long at all

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm, missed the part about where he said highway speeds... maybe you could point that out to me... I assumed we were talking about conditions where you need fans, not open highway situations...
Uh, 5th post down... the 1st one to state that mechanical fans were better than electric.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone monitored through the pcm while towing? If the electrics allow it to run a bit hotter but not overheat I still do not see a problem and would rather have then for ythe rest of the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know I saw a 'chart' on this forum (DriveTrain subforum?) which showed that, for every 10°F above 160°F, the life expectancy of tranny fluid goes down by 50%.

I also remember someone saying that if tranny fluid goes below 150°F, clutches might slip a bit.

As for the mech fan - which costs at least 20 lbft and 10 horses - the thermostatic clutch decides when the engine drives it. Obviously, it would freewheel if the car is moving fast enough, provided the clutch is disengaged. The mech fan would freewheel less if a 160°F Clutch is installed.
Somehow, I don't think you should be towing at speeds above 75mph ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The "Trailer Towing Package" (V92) on my 1994 window sticker says "Incl's 2.93 axle ratio, Heavy Duty Engine Cooling, Engine Oil cooler, & Auto Level Control"

It was a $325.00 option.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Continuing to sing the praises of the mechanical/electrical fan combo - This summer took family vacation in wagon loaded with four people and luggage. Drove 5955 miles out west and back in 13 days. Weather brutally hot - 114f - in desert. Hot enough in Badlands and Utah to actually melt the adhesive holding the rubber strips on the sides of the wagon. Long slow drives at high altitude in traffic up mountains. You guessed it -temp guage never over 1/4.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by HarryJ:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Hmmm, missed the part about where he said highway speeds... maybe you could point that out to me... I assumed we were talking about conditions where you need fans, not open highway situations...
Uh, 5th post down... the 1st one to state that mechanical fans were better than electric.

</font>[/QUOTE]That wasn't the question. That was a statement someone made 4 posts after the question.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just to let you know about my experience towing. I have needed to be moving hard and towing at 70 to get the mileage in. However, I have usually found that towing at 63 to 65 worked best. For one thing, I could almost always stay in the right lane. Secondly, it used significantly less fuel. (I almost always tow in third. Less hunting of the transmission.) I would get 13 mpg at 63 and 11 mpg at 70. Again, that is towing my canoe/kayak trailer with a ton of drag. What I have found on my long hauls is that the difference between 63 and 70 is negated with an "uncoordinated" fuel/bathroom stop. (I have hauled more than my share of teenagers. ;) )

David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.