Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..... I usually tow my 6000 lb trailer without any brakes on my dual axle car hauler. I am rebuilding my trailer and am installing electric brakes one axle. Does anyone know who sells a brake controller that will plug and play with our RMW? And, I currently have a 4 wire plug and play for my 95 RMW........ but I have not seen anything that would support trailer brakes.. the blue 5th wire.... Any help would be appreciated....

·
Premium Member
8,383 Posts
I would think that you would need a 7 way trailer plug to accomodate trailer brakes, and I am not aware of a kit for an RMW that would support brakes on a trailer. a short google search would indicate that really no one makes anything plug and play as far as that goes.

Good information here
http://www.etrailer.com/faq-brakecontroller.aspx

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information..... I think they make a 4 pole to 7 pole conversion kit.. I can plug and play the existing 4 pole into the 7..and I will just need to wire in the blue.. brake wire to the controller. I guess I will have to run another wire for the trailer brakes on my trailer.. It does not sound too bad... A little soddering.. and I should be good to go.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks for the information..... I think they make a 4 pole to 7 pole conversion kit.. I can plug and play the existing 4 pole into the 7..and I will just need to wire in the blue.. brake wire to the controller. I guess I will have to run another wire for the trailer brakes on my trailer.. It does not sound too bad... A little soddering.. and I should be good to go.
It isn't too difficult. There is no factory wiring harness for trailer brakes like the trucks got. You'll have to run all the wiring. You'll need run +12V to the brake controller, ground for the controller, one wire on the brake controller taps into the brake light wire under the dash, and the output from the brake controller will run back to the trailer through your 7 way plug. Avoid time delay controllers, make sure you get a good one. Here is a link to a good one that doesn't cost too much. Myself and others I know have bought stuff from etrailer and they are pretty price competitive and easy to work with.

http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90885.html

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Wishin......

I think I have a plan and means to execute it.....

I am just going to run a wire from the controller to the back of Roadie... and run one more wire with my 4 on the trailer...instead of switching to a 7 way connector... I will just make a connector for the one wire addition... My only other question is... the second wire from the electric brakes.. the ground wire.... Can I just ground that on the trailer itself? Or do I have to connect it to the negative ground on my 4 way?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts