Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
93 wag, factory tow package....

Where in the heck is the lighting connector?
Didn't Chevy include one with the tow package? If so where is it 'cause I can't locate it for the life of me and I've got to tow the '65 out to our new place tomorrow!

Thanks in adv for any help folks. :confused: :confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that is the stock location? Mine aint there. I wonder if my rig even came with one. Seems funny to put a reciever on that car but no trailer light connections.

Last night I was getting so frustrated looking for it that I accidentally unplugged the fuel tank sending unit, which seems to kill the fuel supply as I found out this morning.

Thanks for the pic and that's a pretty cool flash too!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They may have left the wiring to the customer not knowing which type of connection you want. I was able to find a plug in(no cutting at all) connector for my sedan for $16, it took some digging though. The brand most parts stores carry didn't make one, so I had to find a store that sold DrawTite harnesses, and they had to order from a distributor in MN(even though there is one in Green Bay 35 miles away).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really? I guess there are quite a few different connector types out there. Seems like they should have installed a common one and given the customer a box of adapters....GM! are you listening???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the hitch and harness was a dealer install option(don't quote me though). I have the tow package and my car had neither when I bought it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't have one either.
We just tyed into the taillight wiring behind the storage compartment.
I keep the harness rolled up in there till I need it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On my '94, the package is called "Trailering Prep". It did not include a hitch or wiring either. Whereas my 2001 Suburbans both did. For the '94, the trailering prep included 2.93 gears, HD cooling (mechanical fan), HD condenser, KC4 oil cooler (built in to the radiator), G80 limited slip differential, 140 Amp alternator. But no hitch or wiring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sedan wire is not applicable to the wagon. I tied into wiring behind left storage comprtment, the wiring stays there until I need it, then run it out under tailgate. You will need a test light and preferably an electrical diagram.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't think it was the same harness judst trying to point at a source, if Hoppy(common brand) doesn't make one for a sedan they aren't going to make one for an even lower production wagon. Drawtite made one for just a couple dollars more than a universal kit. By the time you buy all the supplies to make a universal kit work trouble free and last(shrink tube connectors maybe solder) it will cost just as much, I have had to fix universal wiring on several vehicles, lose and corroded connections broken wires etc. so I am a fan of the plug in type.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I bought my wagon, it had a 1-1/2" receiver, the smaller of the two. I found wiring for the trailer in the footwell of the 3rd seat. The wiring was spliced into the taillight wiring harness which is underneath the storage compartment on the left side. It definitely looks aftermarket with those cheap taps that bridge onto the wires with the plastic covers that snap on after you crush the tap with pliers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I highly reccomend a POWERED trailer converter to completely isolate the trailer from the car. Let's not forget the bbody's smoking habit! :D

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your comments guys. Just ran with no lights with my wife following in the Samurai (which from a distance looks like a trailer anyway). I did find the harness that runs thru the spare compartment (see below as to why I was rummagin around in there :mad: )

Got one of them stoopid pivoting trailers (which tracks real nice but try backing one up with 4500lb posi car on it) which I promptly jacknifed backing into the driveway. Trailer fender ripped a hole in the Right Rear valve stem which Les Schwab fixed for free (caught them about 5 minutes before close!).

Does that harness in the storage compartment control both left and right sets of lights?

Towing was a dream, that 5.7 hauled Stella (the '65) with no problems. I took the backroads which were a lot hillier and had a bunch of 15-25mph corners around farmland (felt like the stock tires were getting ready to break the bead on a few, a lot of sway) but all went well overall.

Thanks again folks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks G'Pa's Wag...looks like a good price (maybe too good??) I'll look around for someone that's used this their connectors and get back to ya.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Go to any RV center, they'll have the plug in harness. Don't cut your wires! I ran my trailer harness under the tailgate seal and under the bumper cover so it's always ready for action and out of the way. Don't let them offer to put a universal harness on for you either, only go for the plug in version.
My '66 has a cheapo trailer harness worked for a while, then corrosion had it's way with my wiring, BAD!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wagonmaster...

Great idea, RV center. I've got the biggest RV center in 5 states right down the road in Junction City (which, coincidentally, is where I bought my wag too)...if anyones got the right connector they'll have it.

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.