Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I want to look into getting a console, however I want to keep the 60/40 seats that are in it at all costs. I am able to fabricate one if need be, but was looking to get a few different ideas on how I could do that. It would go on the floor in the middle (hopefully obvious) and I would like to have deeper cup holders and some storage space (as the current cup holder is shallow and there is no center console storage). Thanks in advance for the ideas!

-Chris

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Hey guys! I want to look into getting a console, however I want to keep the 60/40 seats that are in it at all costs. I am able to fabricate one if need be, but was looking to get a few different ideas on how I could do that. It would go on the floor in the middle (hopefully obvious) and I would like to have deeper cup holders and some storage space (as the current cup holder is shallow and there is no center console storage). Thanks in advance for the ideas!

-Chris
Just curious why you want to keep the 60/40 setup so much? If you are dead set on that setup then I would think your options will be limited to a small console that would fit on the Trans tunnel.

There have been some that modified the 60/40 bench into a bucket setup by removing the armrest section. You would then have a bunch of console options.

I had the 60/40 cloth setup in my car originally. It was a comfy setup but don't think the armrest even had a console built in. Maybe a swap of another vehicles (car/truck) arm rest could be mated to your seat? I also have a 96 9C1 car with stock buckets and a nice console with lots of storage in it. Maybe a setup like that would work for you if you remove the arm rest section of yours.

I removed my 60/40 cloth setup years ago in favor of a 96 console and Bonneville Buckets and don't miss the bench 1 bit.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
given you want to keep the 60/40 bench and just something that sits on the tranny tunnel...might hit up a junkyard and look at some various cars for something that will fit. I suspect some trimming of whatever you find would be needed. Sheet metal screws would hold it to tunnel from inside whatever compartment it might have

GM trucks with 60/40 seats have the fold down arm rest and then a smaller console that fits in front of the bench seat but often those bench seats have about a 4-6" recess into the bottom of the bench seat that console goes into.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts

-Chris
I love my bench seat custom console.MUCH better than the old floor center hump style.These are excellent furniture like quality.Worth the price,$100.Plus available in a ton of colors.They also make a slightly wider model with bigger cup holes.I chose the narrow model as it fits exactly where our oem center arm rest sits.Made for big American domestic bench seats.Made in America as well.Hope this helps. Jim

·
Registered
172 Posts
Conole / Armrest

I'm looking at ideas for a console. Just added a Roadmaster center armrest/console from a '93 Roadmaster to my '91 Caprice.

If you can't find one in a local yard, check eBay.

Benefit: They are the same width as the original Caprice armrest, no mods necessary to make it fit.

They have cup holders and storage.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I'm looking at ideas for a console. Just added a Roadmaster center armrest/console from a '93 Roadmaster to my '91 Caprice.

If you can't find one in a local yard, check eBay.

Benefit: They are the same width as the original Caprice armrest, no mods necessary to make it fit.

They have cup holders and storage.
Exactly the direction I would go if wanting to keep the 60/40 bench. He could then add a Trans hump console if more stotprage was needed.

OP - I found a couple of links that may give you some ideas/thoughts around the discussion of these bench setups that you may find helpful. Unfortunately, some of the links/pics are old and may not be active anymore.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/1250809-turning-split-bench-roadmaster-seats-into-buckets-got-some-questions.html

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/279055-looking-opinions-seat-idea.html

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/4-interior/246736-how-remove-middle-console.html

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
The Roadmaster armrest gets my vote for a starter. To match your interior, you are going to need one from a 91-93. What color is your interior?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love my bench seat custom console.MUCH better than the old floor center hump style.These are excellent furniture like quality.Worth the price,$100.Plus available in a ton of colors.They also make a slightly wider model with bigger cup holes.I chose the narrow model as it fits exactly where our oem center arm rest sits.Made for big American domestic bench seats.Made in America as well.Hope this helps. Jim

That looks really good! Sadly, I don't have the money for that at this point in time. Does that just sit on top of the seat then? And if so, how does it fasten to the seat. I'd rather not have a free-floating console would I, god forbid it, get into an accident, or have to hit the breaks hard.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just curious why you want to keep the 60/40 setup so much? If you are dead set on that setup then I would think your options will be limited to a small console that would fit on the Trans tunnel.

There have been some that modified the 60/40 bench into a bucket setup by removing the armrest section. You would then have a bunch of console options.

I had the 60/40 cloth setup in my car originally. It was a comfy setup but don't think the armrest even had a console built in. Maybe a swap of another vehicles (car/truck) arm rest could be mated to your seat? I also have a 96 9C1 car with stock buckets and a nice console with lots of storage in it. Maybe a setup like that would work for you if you remove the arm rest section of yours.

I removed my 60/40 cloth setup years ago in favor of a 96 console and Bonneville Buckets and don't miss the bench 1 bit.

Basically my reasoning for the keeping of the seat stems from two points (one personal preference, second somewhat fearful)
1. I like to keep things stock. I'm not a huge fan of modifying my vehicle(s) without a practical reason.
2. This was my grandfathers car, and the moment I try to take the seat out and cut things up, my mom would have my a$$ on a silver platter... the car is also in her name, so that's a bit of a hinderance too.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
The color is called dark maple red. Your best bet is the center console from a 91-92 Roadmaster. The red will match, and it will give you everything you need or want. They are probably cheaper than making one yourself, and bolt up with 4 nuts from under the seat, provided you get the whole hinge/mount with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The color is called dark maple red. Your best bet is the center console from a 91-92 Roadmaster. The red will match, and it will give you everything you need or want. They are probably cheaper than making one yourself, and bolt up with 4 nuts from under the seat, provided you get the whole hinge/mount with it.

Would you happen to have a picture of the console you are talking about? Doesn't have to be red, just looking for what it looks like/storage/etc.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Here you go. Too bad, I sent one to scrap a few months ago. Just get any 91-96 Roadmaster or Fleetwood one for now while you look for the correct colour.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
That looks really good! Sadly, I don't have the money for that at this point in time. Does that just sit on top of the seat then? And if so, how does it fasten to the seat. I'd rather not have a free-floating console would I, god forbid it, get into an accident, or have to hit the breaks hard.
Yes it sits down on the seat.And yes, it comes with an attached strap to secure it to the bench seat bottom.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
The above center armrest/console is an OEM armrest for a Roadmaster or Fleetwood. It would replace your current armrest. It would act just like the one you have, but you can open the top, and access the storage, and cup holders. They are not expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what I think i have decided to do is build my own, however it will go from about where the current cup holder tray is and extend down to the trans tube, with a compartment area where the top is about even with the seat. I am unsure yet of if I will use wood laminate and stain it dark in an attempt to match the dash trim, or if i will search for fabric to upholster it/have it upholstered. As for attaching it, what all methods would you guys recommend? I don't want to put too many holes in the floor, but i also don't want it free-floating for obvious safety reasons. Someone up above mentioned simple sheet metal screws, but any other options?

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
The other option is to weld brackets to the floor and put sheet metal screws in them, do the screws do not go through the floor. You are going to put holes in the carpet no matter what.

·
Registered
10,987 Posts
PS. If you are going to make it yourself, and carpet it, make sure you do not have any sharp corners for carpet to go around. Carpet does not like to fold sharply, and the nap will open right to the bottom, leaving an ugly corner.

You can buy a saddle type console like the one you described for about $30, and have it carpeted.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Custom/Do It Yourself Console

On "YouTube" search "Caprice Console".

Plenty of ideas

Just my opinion, it doesn't matter what you do to one of our B-Bodies. You are unlikely to be able to sell it for more, even to an enthusiast. The value is what it is.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
On "YouTube" search "Caprice Console".

Plenty of ideas

Just my opinion, it doesn't matter what you do to one of our B-Bodies. You are unlikely to be able to sell it for more, even to an enthusiast. The value is what it is.

I've looked into that a bit as well. And chances are that I will be keeping this thing until it doesn't run anymore and, if the body is still good, might drop a new engine in it to keep it going... I'm not worried about sale value lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts