1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Household hardware Finger Thumb Automotive tire Gas
Bicycle part Gas Auto part Nickel Machine
Automotive tire Musical instrument Gas Rim Cylinder

Heard a squeak start coming from my engine. Thought it was a pulley going bad at first. Nope. Metal shavings trashed the motor and even scored the block so deep it will need to be re-sleeved.

• Wow
Reactions: rcktpwrd

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what brand lifter?
GM LS7 lifters

4 inch stroke LS2 ?
Yep.

And looks like I'll be going to an iron block. The wonderful parts shortage has LS3 blocks going for $3500. I've even got a guy from Georgia asking for my old block. At least I'll recoup a little money, anyway.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're supposed to be the real deal. That's what I was billed for. Too bad you can't get the Cadillac lifters anymore - they were good to 8,000 rpm!

·
Premium Member
6,695 Posts
As far as I know GMPP 88958689 is the same light weight external componant lifter.
Ceramic ball .

My understanding is it is no longer called a CTSVR lifter because the name is no longer relevant.
Long time ago.

Other side , LS7 lifter is currently the stock lifter in everything.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I also had a GM-branded (not Delphi) lifter go south on me. I was fortunate to have caught it early. Sorry about your luck though.

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,593 Posts
What lifters should folks buy that won't do this?

·
Registered
331 Posts
i am curious OP, were these lifters bought recently? the set that is in my recently rebuilt sbc i probably bought 6 or so years ago. i had heard 3 or so years ago that there had been bad batche(s) (or worse)....

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
Looks the same as the lifter and cam that I took out of buddy's 4.8 Silverado a couple of years ago. Not AFM, too. No other engine damage, it's seen a few thousand miles after the head came off and we did cam/lifters/tensioner.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am curious though , how this damage adds up to 15 K
That's the quote from the engine builder to build a new engine and put it in the car. Not counting what I can recoup from selling the good parts from the old motor.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am curious OP, were these lifters bought recently? the set that is in my recently rebuilt sbc i probably bought 6 or so years ago. i had heard 3 or so years ago that there had been bad batche(s) (or worse)....
Oddly enough, the engine was built in 2018.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
ERE will sell you a bulletproof short block for a fraction of that. Your heads should be fine, just clean them out and make sure everything is within spec.

Reactions: Marky Dissod

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ERE will sell you a bulletproof short block for a fraction of that. Your heads should be fine, just clean them out and make sure everything is within spec.
The short block for my build is $6700, and that's with an iron block. The cheapest aluminum LS3 short block built with forged internals is about $8100. (the car makes about 700 hp at the wheels with the blower). The rest is for labor and various other stuff, like a custom tune and new lifters, cam, etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Oddly enough, the engine was built in 2018.
I just looked on my amazon and i bought 1 set in sept 2018. i had another set that i bought in 2016. one set went into my SBC and another went into a friends boat. Can't remember which set went where, but either way very concerning. I wonder what set a guy should go with now? morel? rhoads? comp?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts