Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts

#01-06-04-011: Technical - Water in AIR Pump and/or DTC P0410, P0412, P0415, P0416, P0100, P0101, P0102 or DTC 48 (AIR System Disable Procedure) - (Feb 23, 2001)

Subject: Water in AIR Pump and/or DTC P0410, P0412, P0415, P0416, P0100, P0101, P0102 or DTC 48
(AIR System Disable Procedure)
Models:
1995-1996 Buick Roadmaster
1995-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
1995-1996 Chevrolet Caprice, Impala SSwith 4.3L or 5.7L Engine (VINs W, P -- RPOs L99, LT1)

Condition
• Some customers may comment of a hesitation during heavy/full throttle acceleration.
• A 1996 vehicle may also set any of the following DTCs: - P0410 - P0412 - P1415 - P1416 - P0100 - P0101 - P0102
• A 1995 vehicle may set a DTC 48.
• There will also be evidence of water in the AIR pump.

Cause: Under high engine speed and load conditions, hot exhaust gasses may leak past the air check valves. As the exhaust gasses in the air tube cool, water vapors collect into the AIR pump. As the vehicle is driven, condensation from the AIR pump may come into contact with the Mass Airflow Sensor through the AIR inlet hose. This condition may cause a hesitation on acceleration and may also set the DTCs.
Correction: To correct this condition, a Secondary AIR Injection Pump disable procedure has been developed.

It has been determined that the Secondary AIR Injection system is NOT required to meet emission requirements for these vehicles only.

Locate the relay center and air cleaner box.
Remove the AIR hose and clamp from the air cleaner box.
Insert the plug into the air cleaner box AIR hose inlet.
Install the AIR hose and clamp to the air cleaner box.
Remove the cover from the relay center.
Remove AIR pump relay from the relay center.
Install the relay cover.
Install new emission label to radiator support.

Update vehicle calibration. (1995 4.3 L L99 Caprice, and 1996 vehicles)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The AIRpump only passes more air to the exhaust for the first few minutes of starting the car. After that it shuts off.

On 99% of the AIR pumps that still exist on these cars today, even if it still "runs", I guarantee you that the solenoid valve is frozen or the rubber seal is rotted out. Because of this, even after the pump shuts off, it's allowing fresh air into the exhaust system constantly, which will throw off O2 readings, making your engine think it's lean. To compensate, the PCM will enrichen the fuel mix, and fuel economy goes downhill, while building up excess carbon in everything like the EGR valve and cats themselves. The AIR pump must be disabled now. Do it. Even if you don't want to remove it, plug the intake pipe with something and let it run and do nothing. If it were a '95 and older, you can even unplug the pump from the connector and it won't set a code. But I don't know if you will be that lucky with a '96.

FWIW, my state (PA) does tailpipe tests for cars older then '96. The requirement is to test with the car properly warmed up, which takes the AIR pump out of the equation. Unsure about other states. But it really has nothing to do with tested emissions.

PA does require a visual inspection... and thus the stupid AIR pump has to be present. Even the GM sticker doesn't help if the inspector wants to be a jerk about it. One time in 25 years I had a jerk inspector who had to take a picture of the sticker, send it to somebody with PennDOT and get it approved. I guess someone there looked it up in some database or just went with it. Either way, the car was down for 3 days while they did this. And it did get approved (duh). Eff them, I never went back there again. Nowadays I have a guy who understands these cars better than the average inspector. He is aware of the situation and doesn't give me any hassle. And I'm happy taking all of cars to him for these stupid money-sucking inspections.

Good thing thing I'm finally getting antique plates for all of my B-Bodies (25+ years qualifies), which exempts them from such inspections.

Check to see if Illinois has any collector or antique status. A '96 will be 25 years old and may qualify for antique in some states next year. Of course an antique isn't supposed to be used as a daily driver either. I have enough different cars, so I can mix them up enough to meet that requirement during the summer. Unsure if you have that option.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I have one. Extremely clean, removed from service 15 years ago and kept in clean dry storage. No more then 50K on it and worked perfectly. $50 + shipping from 92020.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

#01-06-04-011: Technical - Water in AIR Pump and/or DTC P0410, P0412, P0415, P0416, P0100, P0101, P0102 or DTC 48 (AIR System Disable Procedure) - (Feb 23, 2001)

Subject: Water in AIR Pump and/or DTC P0410, P0412, P0415, P0416, P0100, P0101, P0102 or DTC 48
(AIR System Disable Procedure)
Models:
1995-1996 Buick Roadmaster
1995-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
1995-1996 Chevrolet Caprice, Impala SSwith 4.3L or 5.7L Engine (VINs W, P -- RPOs L99, LT1)

Condition
• Some customers may comment of a hesitation during heavy/full throttle acceleration.
• A 1996 vehicle may also set any of the following DTCs: - P0410 - P0412 - P1415 - P1416 - P0100 - P0101 - P0102
• A 1995 vehicle may set a DTC 48.
• There will also be evidence of water in the AIR pump.

Cause: Under high engine speed and load conditions, hot exhaust gasses may leak past the air check valves. As the exhaust gasses in the air tube cool, water vapors collect into the AIR pump. As the vehicle is driven, condensation from the AIR pump may come into contact with the Mass Airflow Sensor through the AIR inlet hose. This condition may cause a hesitation on acceleration and may also set the DTCs.
Correction: To correct this condition, a Secondary AIR Injection Pump disable procedure has been developed.

It has been determined that the Secondary AIR Injection system is NOT required to meet emission requirements for these vehicles only.

Locate the relay center and air cleaner box.
Remove the AIR hose and clamp from the air cleaner box.
Insert the plug into the air cleaner box AIR hose inlet.
Install the AIR hose and clamp to the air cleaner box.
Remove the cover from the relay center.
Remove AIR pump relay from the relay center.
Install the relay cover.
Install new emission label to radiator support.

Update vehicle calibration. (1995 4.3 L L99 Caprice, and 1996 vehicles)

Thanks for the info. However, I did the mod and got a P412 after. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have one. Extremely clean, removed from service 15 years ago and kept in clean dry storage. No more then 50K on it and worked perfectly. $50 + shipping from 92020.
Thanks for your reply.
I would like to purchase your pump.
Please let me know how you would like to arrange payment.
Here is my shipping information.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Thanks for the info. However, I did the mod and got a P412 after. Any Ideas?
Sounds like your vehicle calibration was never given the correct update (mod was not quite finished).

LT1 pcms using the final update from GM - or are reprogrammed by most tuners - NEVER THROW AIRpump codes.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Paypal is good, OK? I will PM (personal message) info later. You know about that?

Looks like they call it conversations now................. upper right on web site.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Item sold and paid for. (y) Thanks

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Dana item shipped. Tried to PM you but no workee! I have tracking info, arrives 11/27. Lost your phone #, Mods deleted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best bet is to do the disable procedure. Take your impala in to a chevy dealer, that's what I did to mine. It only cost me $78 in southern California. I would print off the #01-06-04-011: Technical to show the dealer exactly what it is.
where in California did you get the disable done?

i tried the Chevy dealer in Antelope Valley where I live and they gave me some crap about how I needed a NEW air pump or else the car was dangerous to drive. I told them about the GM bulletin and even showed them the PDF and the dude pretended he didn't know anything about it. needless to say they didn't get a penny from me. my Caprice is currently non-op since I'm using another car but I'd like to get that disable overwith eventually

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.