Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im interested in performing the stealth bolt mod. Anyone have the hardware, the bolts to do it ?

Ive seen them on ebay for $45, trying to find a better buy, price seems steep for the bolts...

Let me know thanks..

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
One could make their own,I guess... There's nothing magical about them. Remove the front one,remove all the guts,and seal the vent hole with a small machine screw,and some epoxy. The rear gets a 1/4" chamfer cut into the raised shoulder. Honestly,I'd just buy the kit from Summit...

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Agree with 4x4 and 1slow....for me, when it comes to Brakes and Suspension mods/parts, I go with something I know has been tested and would fully trust the kits you've seen for $50.

I bought mine from Summit quite a while ago and haven't installed it yet....still sitting on the shelf. There is this option that I saw.....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/24-brakes/278354-defeating-propo-metering.html

....but take ZERO responsibility for its effectiveness or safety. Just sharing an option you could consider on the cheap. Personally, I would gladly drop down the money for a kit that I know has been tested and works for our application if I was looking to do this mod.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
O
M
G

You mad money-having guys! Let's see, $55 and 3 days thru the mail for retail?

Or, $0.15 in locktite and $0.03 in electricity for homemade. And 1/2 an hour. And playing with tools.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Lemmee get a spreadsheet started on this one. lol

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
While I care little what folks do with their own car. I'm not wild about advising others to do their own fabrication/machining of something like brake system components. Especially,knowing zero regarding their skill level,etc,etc. Have an extensive background working on vehicles. Also close to 20 years of working on this vehicle platform specifically,and I still bought the kit from Proforged.

·
Registered
7,806 Posts
Pragmatic enough. I did my first set at the time enough years back that this was a "just discovered" issue, and when ANY new mod got hashed about to the minutest detail. Given attention spans of thumb-texters trying to live life on their phone I can't fuss with anyone recommending caution under those constraints.

This will be one of those all too familiar things I hit as part of an all-new brake workover on the 'new' FWB I just snagged.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not making the bolts, dont want to go that route ... I dont mind spending the money, however $50 for the bolts is a rip off ... Im , going to end up shelling out the money, cus I have a feeling its going to improve the braking in this car, lord knows it needs help ..

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Flushing out the brake fluid with a quality DOT 4 fluid costs as much (or,more) than the bolts themselves. As do stainless/teflon hoses (highly recommended) for improved brake system performance. Rotors/pads can easily add to overall cost,but would not have to be done at the same time as the other mods that really need to be done together...

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Im not making the bolts, dont want to go that route ... I dont mind spending the money, however $50 for the bolts is a rip off...
As far as I'm aware, Proforged is the only source for new "stealth" and metering mod bolts at this time. Expensive, but they've got the corner on a very small market.

If you don't want to order from Summit, you can get them through Amazon, Jegs, et al.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Frankly,I'm surprised they are even made/stocked anymore. I'd sure hate trying to get a machine shop to make them...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Im not making the bolts, dont want to go that route ... I dont mind spending the money, however $50 for the bolts is a rip off ... Im , going to end up shelling out the money, cus I have a feeling its going to improve the braking in this car, lord knows it needs help ..
You really don't need to spend anything. For the stealth bolt, remove it, take only the spring out, and put it back. Done. The stock plunger keeps the seal in the stock bolt. And without the spring, the plunger no longer exerts pressure on the incoming fluid orifice. Therefore no more a reduction in pressure.

For the metering bolt, it takes a bit longer as you need to remove it and do some filing before it goes back in. Very simple, but you need some kind of temporary plug while you do it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts