Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for any Impala 9c1 from 1980-1985, any 9c1 Caprice from 1986-1990, or a police package 77-79 Impala. I am looking for an 89/90 9c1 preferably in great daily driving condition that does not require any major repairs. The motor must be either the LM1 RPO 350 or the L05 350.

My budget varies depending on the condition of the car. I am located in central New Jersey.

I have been intensively browsing all of Craigslist and I am willing to travel across the country if I am given adequate pictures. It seems that many sellers on Craigslist are not interested in emailing me pictures or the vin # If anyone is interested in selling their car and is willing to send me a few high resolution pictures of the motor, body, and undercarraige, I would greatly appreciate it.

So far, I checked out at least a dozen 9c1's. All of them were heavily rust damaged, not presentable, and not daily drivable. I understand that these cars took a lot of abuse in their day, but I am sure there are a few exceptions.

My current daily driver was an 88 Civillian Caprice with the 305 and the heads were done which is why recently had to sell it. I am hoping to find a 9c1 from the same generation that was maintained fairly well throughout the years and will be able to get me where I need to go.

Here is an outline of my price range:

$0-$1000 = Beater condition, considerable rust, high miles, hacks, drivable. Severity of these conditions lessen with higher price.

$1000-$2000 = daily drivable, needing work, relatively original with minimal hacks, no signs of impending catastrophic failure, rust with minimal rot. Overall, OK condition, but at least ought to be realtively presentable at the higher price range.

$2000-$3000 = approaching the presentability level. No rot, minor surface rust acceptable in one or two locations,. At the higher range, it is acceptable for the paint to be faded if original. The motor must be in good mechanical and cosmetic condition with no hacks. It is preferred for the car to be in original, well cared for, and maintained condition in this price range. The car must be in good mechanical condition with no immediate work necesary for daily driving. At the higher end of this range, I expect the car to be in great condition with only minor cosmetic or mechanical things things needed, but not necessary immediately.

$3000-$5000 = At this piont, the car will be in good to mint condition depending in its level witin this range. At the lowest range, I expect the car to be in nice daily drivable/presentable condition with only minor cosmetic defects. At the highest, I expect the car to have everything taken care of mechanically and cosmetically and the car should be able to survive an intercontinental trip if necessary! Also, my family would not be ashamed to be seen in my car if it is at this upper end of this price range.
Lastly, i must add that I would still prefer the car to have its original drive train in this condition and be relatively original and police like. It is acceptable for the interior to be out of a different GM such as a B-Body fleetwood or Roadmaster. Not interested in donks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
I like your style, before my current project I wanted to make a box that was a mix between an Impala SS and the cop car from Black Sheep.

I regularly browse all craigslists in New England, so I will keep my eyes peeled for you. Do you have a top dollar? Seems the ones I have seen fitting your description are being sold by people who know what they have...

Doug

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the positive comments. I browse all of craigslist daily whenever I am at the computer. It's a shame how certain craigslist postings are terrible. I actually found a few 9c1's posted under really general titles such as "Box Caprice" or Police Car" having no mention of the year or make. The only dead giveaway was the certified speedo in the picture.

Some people do not mention that they are police cars...which could be a good thing. However, at the same time, you are forced to filter though 1000's of Caprice ads. It is a really grueling process..which is why I came to the messageboard option.

Since I live in central Jersey, I am looking for something within reasonable distance of the East Coast. I was thinking about flying over to California and looking at a few. This is what I have found thus far: (none of these are within driving distance from central jersey, but i figure if you are interested, you can give them a shot:

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/cto/1874234375.html

http://prescott.craigslist.org/cto/1907875163.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/1921571275.html

http://rmn.craigslist.org/cto/1907212112.html

http://kalispell.craigslist.org/cto/1918111592.html

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/1904301803.html (I looked at this and drove it and will consider it..but it was very rough...but restorable)

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1930707271.html

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/cto/1860598525.html

I requested pictures from most of them..but only the LA one got back to me..and I instantly saw that the car had a rather crappy paint job and he mentioned that it was a canadian car which would mean it wasn't in the best environment either.

If anyone on this board is anywhere near those cars, and would be willing to inspect them for me out of the kindness of their heart, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Since your looking everywhere did you look under the Dallas Texas section on craigs?

I seen a bunch of the year models you are looking for, theres an 89 white Caprice for 1500 that doesnt look too bad.

Look under Dallas, TX

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using those craigslist search engine style sites and the amount of things I've had to filter is ridiculous. I definitely missed a few. I did come across one car in Dallas and the guy is asking $800 so I figure it is too much of a project for me to go over 2000 miles for..but I will definitely start browsing all of Texas..because I figure those cars are more likely to be appreciated there. Thanks.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah we down here really get into our cars and no rust unless it came from out of state in most cases.

Not sure if your into the big wheels but i just read about a blue 86 witih 70,000 miles on 22's or 24's.. didn't read the whole ad but it looked good in the pics for 3K. care had been stolen and back now and i guess repaired. didn't read the whole ad.

Just several to choose from under the Dallas,TX section of craigs

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks man, I found one already just by searching 'police caprice' Odd how this didn't show up in my other searches yet the ones in Arizona, and California did. As for wheels, they're not my thing. I'm more into the stock dog dish/moon/hub cap look..and basic color paint. I've noticed that most people are not willing to sell their cars without the wheels and I don't want to add an extra 1000 for rims that I will end up putting on eBay most likely.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1931798596.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
Thanks man, I found one already just by searching 'police caprice' Odd how this didn't show up in my other searches yet the ones in Arizona, and California did.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1931798596.html
Thats my home town where i sit tonight (in the rain) Mesquite... lol.

If it gets down to needing me to look at any in the Dallas area let me know.

I didn't think you would want that one, i guess you want a project though

well i guess its not a huge project, just paint and whatever.

I always search town to town on craigslist, i found out last year the mass search on craigs doesn't pick everything up

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not looking for a project..However, if the car has its original police paint, that is alright. That car may be worth looking at but I'll just keep my eyes peeled for now. I'm hoping to find something on the lower east coast or maybe reasonably south west so that I don't have to fly out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Not looking for a project..However, if the car has its original police paint, that is alright. That car may be worth looking at but I'll just keep my eyes peeled for now. I'm hoping to find something on the lower east coast or maybe reasonably south west.

Okay man, if you change your mind i can go look and take more pics. I have bought many cars from the east coast and i found brokers who can get a car shipped for 350 to 400 over the years.. something to think about. just have to shop on the net for transport shipping

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome man..I'd be happy to work out a deal if I find anything in that area. I would definitely prefer a presentable, well maintained and driven 80-90 9c1 that once shipped, could handle a daily commute without blowing up on me :)

Generally, if say for example someone is asking 3-4000 for a 9c1, I am expecting great mechanical condition, and near mint exterior/good interior. I understand that for $1500 it will be more of a project..but that is acceptable considering that these cars are now very difficult to find and are worth restoring.

A car from Dallas wil have no rust and that is also very important. If it comes down to buying a project, I much rather get one from the mid west than the East based on rust issues alone.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just let me know the cars you want me to look at if any in this area. I agree with your finds and facts on pricing.

You just dont like the body of the 93 and up? theres a nice sounding 9C1 on here for sale in Philly, its a 95 the guy just dropped the price to 4grand with only 70,000 miles.. not sure what color, he has no pics on the ad

Awesome man..I'd be happy to work out a deal if I find anything in that area. I would definitely prefer a presentable, well maintained and driven 80-90 9c1 that once shipped, could handle a daily commute without blowing up on me :)

Generally, if say for example someone is asking 3-4000 for a 9c1, I am expecting great mechanical condition, and near mint exterior/good interior. I understand that for $1500 it will be more of a project..but that is acceptable considering that these cars are now very difficult to find and are worth restoring.

A car from Dallas wil have no rust and that is also very important. If it comes down to buying a project, I much rather get one from the mid west than the East based on rust issues alone.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I know this forum is more dedicated to the 91-96 years, but I am only interested in the 80-90 years.. My brother has two 95 9c1's and I will be driving one daily while I am searching for the box 9c1. I love 94-96 cars but I am just too used to my 88 and I was planning to do some performance mods eventually. The 88 was a lot easier to work on for me (I'm not a mechanic)

I appreciate all the help. I have the 95 to hold me over for a while..so I'm not in any major rush to acquire a box 9c1. I'm really looking for something that is in presentable, daily driving condition that could handle a 2000 mile trip if necessary. I will just keep lurking on here until the right one shows up.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Nice ride..not a bad deal if its mint minus the trans. However, I prefer to have something with overdrive. I hear bolting up a 700r4 to those is a pain in the ass..and I'm not a mechanic so the conversion would be pretty costly for me. If that was a police package, I'd get it anyway. Also, it would be great if the aerocoupe 2 doors came optioned with 350's. Every single 77-79 2 door that I've looked at was a 305.

Here is what I'd do to my 77-79 2 door

But yeah, for now, I am strictly looking for an 80-90 9c1. An 89/90 9c1 would be most preferred due to TBI, but I would be just as happy with an 86-88 or an 80-85 Impala. I honestly know nothing about the 80-85 Impala 9c1's.

What was the difference between the 80-85 Impala 9c1's and the 86-88 Caprice 9c1's other than the badging?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Anyone within reasonable driving distance of Port St. Lucie, Florida? If so, I'd be very interested in having someone check out this car

http://treasure.craigslist.org/ctd/1932943196.html

I fear it may be a project though as I see all of the green silicone hoses have been replaced for some strange reason....and the car has clearly been repainted.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts