Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the BFG drag radial what is the way to get them ready for the run, just spin them a little or try to get then hot? how much air should I run in them? Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Spin 'em 'till you smoke 'em a bit. No need to to make you beaSSt dissappear in a cloud of smoke, though

Start out at about 23 PSI and take air out 'til you get the good hook-up.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on your mods, but my experience is different than KWB. When I had the stock converter, launching on "warmed" BFG DRs was no problem. After the 2800 Vigilante was installed, I had to heat the crap out of them - a 12-15 second burnout, or the car would spin off the line. I've since moved to Hoosier QTPs and they stick great. My best launches were at 22 PSI. These were the 275/40R17 version.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by LeadSSled:
....launching on "warmed" BFG DRs was no problem. After the 2800 Vigilante was installed, I had to heat the crap out of them - a 12-15 second burnout....These were the 275/40R17 version.
Are you saying that you had 275/40/17 BFG's?? If so, I'm running those at 17 PSI. Could be that 22 PSI was a bit tight...???

Even though mine stick with 17PSI, I'm wonderin' if the low PSI is slowing me down. I'm gonna start higher next time out to see if I can gain a bit more speed.

BTW, I was assuming that Rocks is going with the 255/50/15 BFG's. I've found that they don't require extensive heating at about 20 PSI.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin,
When I was running DR's, I ran them anywhere from 25 psi down to 17 psi, and found no correlation between pressure and mph. I just wrote it off to the radial design. Like you, I always wanted to run them as high as possible and still hook up, just to not leave anything on the table!

LeadSSled,
I saw the same thing when I went from stock converter to the 3000 stall. But about 7 seconds (in 2nd gear) burnout -reading from DataMaster - seemed to be the point above which a hook was guaranteed on a mediocre track. On a good track, they would stick with just a light hazing. I usually ran them about 20 psi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/qb][/QUOTE]Are you saying that you had 275/40/17 BFG's?? If so, I'm running those at 17 PSI. Could be that 22 PSI was a bit tight...???

Yes, I was running the 275/40/17 BFG's. I tried lower tire pressures than 22 PSI, but it just got worse. At lower pressures, the center of the tire would cup away from the pavement. This is a characteristic of radial tires. When laying rubber at 17 psi, I would get black marks that were dark on the edges and light in the center. At 22 PSI, the black marks were dark and even across the width of the tire. I run the Hoosier QTPs at 16 PSI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.