Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on Ebay and I found this 1995 Caprice for sale and I asked the seller a couple questions about the Police package items which were missing from the car and he told me to run a carfax and then banned me from bidding. Word of warning, there are a bunch of things about this vehicle which in my opinion just do not add up so if anyone is interested in this car please PM me and I will tell you what I see and know about it before you make a huge mistake buying it!

1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic/Impala SS

Mike--94MSP9C1

(if this is the wrong place for this please move it where ever it will be best seen)

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I was on Ebay and I found this 1995 Caprice for sale and I asked the seller a couple questions about the Police package items which were missing from the car and he told me to run a carfax and then banned me from bidding. Word of warning, there are a bunch of things about this vehicle which in my opinion just do not add up so if anyone is interested in this car please PM me and I will tell you what I see and know about it before you make a huge mistake buying it!

Mike--94MSP9C1

(if this is the wrong place for this please move it where ever it will be best seen)
Crazy stuff the way some people act when asked a few simple questions lol.
Thanks for the heads up Mike.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts

Mike--94MSP9C1

I just ran the VIN on compnine says it's a real 9C1.Has all the SEO options.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Wow, that listing is all kinds of hilarious. It may or may not be a legit 9C1, I'm no expert on determining that, but that listing is just terrible. Smashed up, low resolution and/or poor quality pics (I'm guessing to hide how cheap that custom paint job was), "custom made" emblems that anybody can buy off ebay for $12 something a pair, a brand new set of tires I've never heard of (which more often than not means they're cheap and just there to help sell the car). And Calloway parts? Other than the "hockey puck" I'm not seeing anything, and I'd be a little surprised if it was a legitimate Calloway part. I know they did a little with the LT1, probably more with the Vettes, but I've never seen a Calloway hockey puck. If nothing else it was good for a laugh, and I'd say the car is worth what a 9C1 Caprice with a few Impala visuals added on with that mileage and a worn out interior is worth. So in other words, not much more than what the bid is currently at, ($2500 at the moment).

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I just ran the VIN on compnine says it's a real 9C1.Has all the SEO options.
Yes according to the Spid sticker in the trunk it is a real 9C1 which is why I was interested in it but my questions were how come it has a civilian speedo cluster which makes the mileage suspect and why are all the 9C1 green hoses missing? That was all it took to get me banned from bidding!

It last sold in 2011 for $4000 with 22" rims on it and it has only been driven 3000 miles in 5 1/2 years since which makes me wonder if something is wrong with the car or the mileage has been altered.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
4,619 Posts
Really, we are worried about cloning 9C1's now?

"custom paint" Ah, looks like the original Medium Adriatic Blue the spid says it is . Lots of pearl and color shift in the stock color

" AIRBAG ONCE IN A WHILE GOES ON THEN SHUTS OFF WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO PULL ANY CODES" Hum, how about that steering wheel?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Wow, that listing is all kinds of hilarious. It may or may not be a legit 9C1, I'm no expert on determining that, but that listing is just terrible. Smashed up, low resolution and/or poor quality pics (I'm guessing to hide how cheap that custom paint job was), "custom made" emblems that anybody can buy off ebay for $12 something a pair, a brand new set of tires I've never heard of (which more often than not means they're cheap and just there to help sell the car). And Calloway parts? Other than the "hockey puck" I'm not seeing anything, and I'd be a little surprised if it was a legitimate Calloway part. I know they did a little with the LT1, probably more with the Vettes, but I've never seen a Calloway hockey puck. If nothing else it was good for a laugh, and I'd say the car is worth what a 9C1 Caprice with a few Impala visuals added on with that mileage and a worn out interior is worth. So in other words, not much more than what the bid is currently at, ($2500 at the moment).
Those Riken Raptors actually a pretty decent tire. I have them on both my wagon and Impala. They are pretty sticky and actually held up well since the first year I raced the Impala I never used drag radials :)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Really, we are worried about cloning 9C1's now?/QUOTE]

No, I am actually looking for a 9C1. This POS just happened to be cloned!

Mike--94MSP9C1
No offense, but I don't see a clone, just a 20+yr old car that's very likely had some parts replaced.
eBay is a horrible place to shop for a vehicle(out of local area), and buying one without an up close and personal inspection is just asking for trouble IMHO.

My dad got totally screwed, I warned him, but he didn't listen and bought a vehicle on there anyway. He regretted buying it from day 1.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
No offense, but I don't see a clone, just a 20+yr old car that's very likely had some parts replaced.
Well maybe you should read the auction again. He says: "HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS A 9C1 PACKAGE AND IMPALA SS APPERANCE PACKAGE" and then he says:"UP FOR SALE IS A 1995 9C1 WITH IMPALA SS OPTIONS"

There is NO SUCH THING ever made! It is a 9C1 that was cloned to look like a Impala SS. Plain and simple and not the subject of the issue.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Those Riken Raptors actually a pretty decent tire. I have them on both my wagon and Impala. They are pretty sticky and actually held up well since the first year I raced the Impala I never used drag radials :)

Had a set myself and they were a decent tire and lasted quite a bit. Just replaced them and ended up getting the hankooks and been happy with them so far.

Yes according to the Spid sticker in the trunk it is a real 9C1 which is why I was interested in it but my questions were how come it has a civilian speedo cluster which makes the mileage suspect and why are all the 9C1 green hoses missing? That was all it took to get me banned from bidding!

It last sold in 2011 for $4000 with 22" rims on it and it has only been driven 3000 miles in 5 1/2 years since which makes me wonder if something is wrong with the car or the mileage has been altered.

Mike--94MSP9C1
If I had to venture a guess about this car, I strongly suspect what they did was swapped the entire Impala SS interior including the Cluster. If that's the case with the cluster, no way in hell you can trust the mileage.

Bottom line, weather the current seller is the one trying to pass this off on someone or not, who knows. But usually when they get an attitude like that over some basic questions, sets all kinds of red flags in my mind. They usually cop (pardon the pun) a pissy tone cause you are wise to their bullshyt.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
For the price and the age I'm not sure why we have our panties in a twist here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats actual local to me in NY , i saw the listing on CL a few days ago...i have my SS but always look to see what other B-Bodys are out there to buy. I'm in agreeance with above tho, Its a 9C1 cloned to look like an Impala, seller just seems to of worded it wrong. Running the Vin on Compnine its a 9c1 and for $2500 i don't see what the all issues are
:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the price and the age I'm not sure why we have our panties in a twist here.
The issue is that the seller is refusing to answer simple questions that are directly related to the actual mileage! He is being deceitful and THAT is what this is about!

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
The issue is that the seller is refusing to answer simple questions that are directly related to the actual mileage! He is being deceitful and THAT is what this is about! (Mic Drop!!!)

Mike--94MSP9C1
Fixed :smile2: - in BLUE

BTW - These fender badges (to me) are tacky as hell or should I say "Sick and Twisted" what ever the hell that means? Surprised it doesn't have fake Fender ports on there too.

Oh and the way that add reads and the Calloway under hood items....Please?

Overall and if the pics can be trusted, not a bad car for the money assuming the paint and body are in good shape. I may just call this guy and shake his tree a little and see what falls out. But I see little things that bother me about the conversion and things I see under the hood that lead me to believe some stuff was just thrown together and not done right.

EDIT - Made the call and talked to him a bit and instantly picked up on his "tone". I've dealt with these types of guys before and he was at least answering my questions honestly or should I say to "the best of his knowledge". But the attitude was definitely there. Asked him a few basic things like could you tell me about some of the mods....his response, "look, I'm not the previous owner of the car and don't have those details" or "you should just run a carfax".

He could not tell me much about the "underhood Calloway upgrades" when I asked. He said the air intake were the only thing he knew about. I told him it looks like a K&N kit on the intake and he said "the tube and that round thing were what he was talking about" As I told him, most of the calloway upgrades were engine internal specific along with some Bolton stuff when he then went back to the whole "not a lot of history" on the car thing. I think that is his fall back plan when the questions get specific.

Asked him about the interior swap and he assured me it was a 9C1 based on the VIN. I agreed but mentioned the interior looked to be swapped over along with the cluster and if so we may not know the tru mileage of this car. He then feel back on the whole "not many details of how/what was done" shtick.

Would I trust this guy based on the "vibe" I got from him....Hell No!! but would I buy the car from him? Maybe. Really depends on what details I found on closer inspection and knowing the mechanicals as well as I do. A novice buyer could get stung if not knowing what to look for let alone doing their own mechanicals. "buyer beware" is most likely a good way to view this car.

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fixed :smile2: - in BLUE

BTW - These fender badges (to me) are tacky as hell or should I say "Sick and Twisted" what ever the hell that means? Surprised it doesn't have fake Fender ports on there too.

Oh and the way that add reads and the Calloway under hood items....Please?

Overall and if the pics can be trusted, not a bad car for the money assuming the paint and body are in good shape. I may just call this guy and shake his tree a little and see what falls out. But I see little things that bother me about the conversion and things I see under the hood that lead me to believe some stuff was just thrown together and not done right.

EDIT - Made the call and talked to him a bit and instantly picked up on his "tone". I've dealt with these types of guys before and he was at least answering my questions honestly or should I say to "the best of his knowledge". But the attitude was definitely there. Asked him a few basic things like could you tell me about some of the mods....his response, "look, I'm not the previous owner of the car and don't have those details" or "you should just run a carfax".

He could not tell me much about the "underhood Calloway upgrades" when I asked. He said the air intake were the only thing he knew about. I told him it looks like a K&N kit on the intake and he said "the tube and that round thing were what he was talking about" As I told him, most of the calloway upgrades were engine internal specific along with some Bolton stuff when he then went back to the whole "not a lot of history" on the car thing. I think that is his fall back plan when the questions get specific.

Asked him about the interior swap and he assured me it was a 9C1 based on the VIN. I agreed but mentioned the interior looked to be swapped over along with the cluster and if so we may not know the tru mileage of this car. He then feel back on the whole "not many details of how/what was done" shtick.

Would I trust this guy based on the "vibe" I got from him....Hell No!! but would I buy the car from him? Maybe. Really depends on what details I found on closer inspection and knowing the mechanicals as well as I do. A novice buyer could get stung if not knowing what to look for let alone doing their own mechanicals. "buyer beware" is most likely a good way to view this car.
Same vibe I got from talking to him except I got banned for asking about the mileage and the cluster! :frown2:

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone notice that at the very bottom of his listing in the fine print it says $399 document fee will be added to winning bid? That has to be one of the highest document fees I have ever run across.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
I've often thought a good SNL writer could put together a guaranteed "Future Classic" as good as any 'Bag-o-Glass' if just doing 5 minutes of slinky things tried when selling a car. It could be 1000% true stuff and still the funniest skit ever.

I clicked the ad once a few days back and this poor victim of a car has got 25 things going against and mostly not its own fault. More just a lazy inattentive 'Convinced He's Crafty' type tryna move a poor car that belongs in the $800 aisle at the auction. You couldn't take worse pics if you tried. Even using my flip-phone. And that dog-dirt interior after just the claimed mileage? And the "un-vouchibility" of many features compels laughter. Whether or not that trunk belongs to that car, at least give credit the same number was typed accurately in the ad. Emblems and other random stick-ons are just more icing globbed on the cake.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Anyone notice that at the very bottom of his listing in the fine print it says $399 document fee will be added to winning bid? That has to be one of the highest document fees I have ever run across.

Mike--94MSP9C1
Did not and did not know Ebay even did such a thing or maybe it's something the Seller does. I guess this is similar to a public auction where you pay "x" per $1000 spent on the car? But still needs to be factored into the price of the car which is overpriced at best and could be un trustworthy.

I've often thought a good SNL writer could put together a guaranteed "Future Classic" as good as any 'Bag-o-Glass' if just doing 5 minutes of slinky things tried when selling a car. It could be 1000% true stuff and still the funniest skit ever.

I clicked the ad once a few days back and this poor victim of a car has got 25 things going against and mostly not its own fault. More just a lazy inattentive 'Convinced He's Crafty' type tryna move a poor car that belongs in the $800 aisle at the auction. You couldn't take worse pics if you tried. Even using my flip-phone. And that dog-dirt interior after just the claimed mileage? And the "un-vouchibility" of many features compels laughter. Whether or not that trunk belongs to that car, at least give credit the same number was typed accurately in the ad. Emblems and other random stick-ons are just more icing globbed on the cake.
It's funny cause we must have been thinking the same thing on Shady Sellers. I remembered this little gem from about 5-6 years ago and it's hilarious. There is so much wrong in this video not even sure where to start....

Even funnier for me, I know this BestBuy, it's right on Kirkwood Hwy in Newark, Del. Never got a chance to see this "Impala SS"....what a shame or should I say SHAM.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts