Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
ABS was standard on every 1991-1996 B-Body, both sedans and wagons.

Four-wheel discs were standard and only availalbe on the '94-'96 models of the Impala SS, Caprice 9C1 and Middle East export-only Caprice SS. All other '91-'96 B-Body sedans and wagon had front discs and rear drums.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RIV isn't the issue, the cars older than 15 years old, good there. When I bought the car up I stopped at that, federal level. What I didn't realize is the stupid " out of province" inspection. Canada lets their provinces dictate all the ass hat regulations they can come up with.

This car needed the airbags working, daytime lights, horn, hazards working...I get that. But my brakes are off a newer vette and the abs isn't going to work....ever. I got the air bag and other safety issues working, just not the brakes.

It's not a winter car, abs is for that IMO.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
I keep forgetting our cars are that old.

The corvette calipers are not an issue
He probably removed the ABS due to the clearance issue at the LF corner .

Is the big bosch plug still there at the front left side.

How hard it is , is , how much is left.

The 95-96 ABS is pretty simple and self contained in the unit.

If the three sensors and wiring are still there, really just a matter of mounting and plumbing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The whole abs controllers off the master cylinder. There a Jegs valve in place now. My buddies a Chevy mechanic, said it's ok but stuff missing. Unfortunately he's not licensed to do that provincial inspection.

I think I got a guy that's hot rod friendly, just going to cost a bit more.

·
Registered
7,888 Posts
How would they even know if it worked,or not? Seems like if you were creative running the ABS lines to each other,no one could tell.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
How would they even know if it worked,or not? Seems like if you were creative running the ABS lines to each other,no one could tell.
Typically , on a provincial inspection, if the inspector sees a the light cycle, he would look no further.

BUT if it has failed an inspection, their eyes will be a little wider during a reinspection.

As an inspector , I have run into this first hand and normally just contact the area inspector if a hassle ensues.
Ford RABS comes to mind , on school buses no less
The regs have changed up here a bit and the total responsibility rests on the shoulders of the inspector not the company he works for.
Consequently, you will be hard pressed to find one to look the other way.

While removing the ABS is fine for some, it makes resale real hassle sometimes.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Would any of you guys have some good pictures of the MC and the reservoir area with a stock set up? I just want to compare and see whats been altered on mine.

Thanks,
From a 1996 Imp:

[/URL]{/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

HTH.

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
From a 1996 Imp:

That is a great picture, shows it all.
I forgot how open an LT1 is in that area

Small line at rear of prop valve goes to small line on drivers side top of ABS
Large line at front of prop valve goes to large line on engine side top of ABS

Two small lines on back of ABS drivers side go to front brakes
One large line on back of ABS engine side goes to rear brakes

·
Premium Member
7,078 Posts
Courtesy member GoldSSwagon:

Bosch 2U ABS system

While a lot of good info .

"At startup the EBCM will check:

•Itself;
•Battery voltage;
•Wheel speed sensor circuits;
•Fluid level switch; and
•Pressure differential switch."

On a 95-96 Impala,

I am not aware of any interconnection between pressure differential switch and the ABS
The car doesn't have a fluid level switch

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the update. Not as familiar as yourself w/ the system as it's always just worked/no need to delve into the particulars. But do want to disseminate as much info for the poster as possible. A quick google search yields a fairly comprehensive tutorial on how to install a Bosch 2U system into a Mustang (the system was used on multiple platforms and makes). Don't know that that would apply, but again, useful info all the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.