Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,856 Posts
I use overdrive, except when in stop-and-go driving and when driving 40 MPH and less. The trans is set up to get into overdrive as soon as possible, which helps fuel economy, but is harder on the trans. Keeping it in drive under 40 mph prevents that.

FWIW, using this method and regular fluid & filter changes, nobody in my family has EVER had a transmission failure. My dad has run a GMC van to 241k, a Chevy Suburban to 250+k on the original trannies.

· Registered
358 Posts
Almost any vehicle made from 1994 and later has an electronically controlled transmission. They are programmed to work properly at all times under normal use if you put the shifter in OD. If towing then refer to your owner's manual. Anything earlier then 1994, use D unless on the highway.

· Registered
67 Posts
By highway you guys mean the freeway right. i always keep it on D does that matter i never put it OD is that bad for the tranny i usually drive this beast past 90 mph on the freeway. Just wanna know if using D instead of OD will affect the tranny. Thanks guys.

· Registered
2,572 Posts
"By highway you guys mean the freeway right. i always keep it on D does that matter i never put it OD is that bad for the tranny i usually drive this beast past 90 mph on the freeway. Just wanna know if using D instead of OD will affect the tranny."

What do you think? Did you actually read the above answers to this question and your owner's manual? Do you really think every highway is a freeway?

· Registered
1,998 Posts
By highway you guys mean the freeway right. i always keep it on D does that matter i never put it OD is that bad for the tranny i usually drive this beast past 90 mph on the freeway. Just wanna know if using D instead of OD will affect the tranny. Thanks guys.
It won't hurt your tranny to run 90MPH in 3rd. It will hurt your engine, and your gas mileage.

· Premium Member
1996 Caprice 9c1, 2018 Ram Laramie CC 4x4 EcoDiesel , '03 Ram 3500 Laramie Sport QC 4x4 Cummins
631 Posts
What is "da Highway"?

· Registered
1996 BBB
1,759 Posts
If you are doing driving where you are constantly shifting into OD then slowing down or having to speed up and downshift or what not, you'd probably be better off from a tranny longevity standpoint if you kept it in D, but from a gas mileage standpoint you'd be better in OD.

I notice in around town driving, it's like im constantly shifting into OD just to have to slow down. If your doing a steady 65mph or something on the freeway, put in OD!

I think most guys just keep in in OD all the time, but I find that in stop light to stoplight driving the engine braking in 3rd combined with keeping the car in the powerband makes driving a lot more comfortable than going up through all the gears just to lug the car in OD and have to come out of it to speed up or end up hitting the brakes right after you shift into it anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.