Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few water leaks on my '94 RMW that I can't figure out the source for. My passenger side rear floor pan collects tons of water. This one is major, yet it is not obvious where it is coming from as the headliner, doors... everything is dry when I run a hose on roof & windows.

My spare tire compartment also gets water. My '95 has this problem and has completely rusted through so want to get this taken care of before the spare tires start popping through on the '94!

I also get water inside the storage box in the driver's side rear. No water inside the quarters or under the box.. only inside!

Are these common issues? How do I solve them?

Also, does anyone know if the the foam pad under the spare tire is avail anywhere?

·
Registered
8,615 Posts
A year or more ago a guy found hidden leaker at the dogleg giving similar account as your. His is/was a sedan, but worth scoping out with everything else. Also record of leak into trunk at roof ditch and rear glass down sail panel. Not sure if translates to a wagon.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Check the rear wheel well for a hole. That happened to my 95 RMW and was the cause of a wet rear pan. I would take out the seats and the plastic side panels.

Tom

·
Registered
981 Posts
Side window or roof rack could be leaking as well.
Sometimes you can spot leaks inside w/ someone outside spraying with hose.

Also, make sure the body drain hole(s) are clear so water can't collect.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Check the cargo bay grab handles for dripping. If they do, it is either the body seal under the edge of the roof rack, or the quarter glass has separated from the body. The body seam is easy to fix with some roofing sealer from your local hardware store. Just gouge out the old sealer, and replace it with the roof sealer. Do no get too much in the channel, or the roof rack will not fit properly. Resealing the glass is not an easy task. I have done it, and it can take a few days to properly reinstall the glass.

Check your rear wheelhouses for rust through. Being from Chicago, you are in the rust belt, and the wheelhouses are susceptible to corrosion. That can put water into anything downhill from a rust hole.

The storage getting water in it is unusual. You need to run water with the panel out of the car, and someone watching inside. Water can travel on the headliner from the back of the vista glass anywhere to the rear. The headliner has a built in channel that usually dumps the water through the grab handles.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, interesting observation about the water collecting in the passenger side rear floor pan...... we haven’t had rain here in over a week. In driving with the AC on for the last 2 days, water is collecting! Front floor is dry and water seems to be running in from under the front seat.

Any ideas what’s going on?? If the AC condensation drain was leaking.... wouldn’t I feel it in the passenger front floor?

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
It sees to take forever for any water to evaporate from the cars. It could be wet for a number of weeks after any rain. There is a rubber backing on the carpet that holds water under it. The only way to check for leaking is to remove the carpet, and mark the floor with water soluble marker or paint. When a leak presents itself, it will wash the marker away where it runs.

If the elbow on the drip pan is missing, that is a sure leak at the exit of the pan. I had a crack at the drain tube, and that cause me years of headaches with water intrusion.

It is possible that the water is running under the front carpet. There is a channel alongside the outside of the seat mount and channels water to the rear floor pan. Usually the front carpet gets wet as well.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
ON my 2000 silverado I had the pass side water issue.. opened the rear door on truck and a puddle in the rear pass side.. lifted the rug found it was from the ac duct.. so I got a 14GA romex single wire and stuck it in the evap drain hole about a half gallon of water came out..

now the hard part took out rugs took 2 weeks for rug to dry out not a quick dry process .. I then when the floor metal dried did some rust prevention with cold galv paint works good..

a small tree pollen thing flowed out I was surprised something that small caused all the water to back up ..

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It sees to take forever for any water to evaporate from the cars. It could be wet for a number of weeks after any rain. There is a rubber backing on the carpet that holds water under it. The only way to check for leaking is to remove the carpet, and mark the floor with water soluble marker or paint. When a leak presents itself, it will wash the marker away where it runs.

If the elbow on the drip pan is missing, that is a sure leak at the exit of the pan. I had a crack at the drain tube, and that cause me years of headaches with water intrusion.

It is possible that the water is running under the front carpet. There is a channel alongside the outside of the seat mount and channels water to the rear floor pan. Usually the front carpet gets wet as well.
I’ve been vacuuming the rear carpet to keep it as dry as possible while I find the issue, but think you helped me Fred! Sure enough.... the drip pan elbow was missing so I put one on, along with a rubber hose so it dumps behind the front tire and presto!.... no more water on the rug!!

I’m surprised at how much condensation comes out of this thing. Never notice THIS much on my ‘95. Leaves almost a solid trail of water, pulling up to park! Or perhaps it’s the 90° weather we’ve been having in Chicago.

Now to see if any water there after the next time I wash it or it rains…

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
I’ve been vacuuming the rear carpet to keep it as dry as possible while I find the issue...
You really need to remove the seats so that you can pull the carpet out of the car. Simply vacuuming up the water isn't sufficient, as the jute padding under the carpet gets soaked.

Don't be surprised if you find some surface rust that needs to be addressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Realizing this is a three-year-old post, I had the same problem in my '95 RM sedan; after a good rain it would have an inch of water under the carpet in the rear-pass-side seat, Maybe more - I ain't exaggerating.

While cursing about it at one point, I noticed some white grud along the bottom seal on the rear door quarter window. I ran a small bead of Right Stuff along the seal - problem solved, never another leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts