Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wagon Fam,

I've been parking my wagon outside lately and we just had a really bad storm last night. On my way to work this morning I started hearing water splashing all over but nothing was wet. After work I took the back panels off and found a pool of water under the left side panel with the lock. Luckily I have a wet/dry shop vac and was able to get it all out.

My question:
Does anyone know how it got there? And is there anything I can do to keep it from happening again?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
theres a plug underneath that area

not sure how water would get in there from underneath though

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is the headliner sagging on that side, over the window? There is a body seam under the roof rack that sometimes opens up. Cure for that is to take out the headliner, (fix it), remove the roof rack parts, and re-calk the roof seam.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Water is getting in through a leak someplace.

Usually it is from one of two places, the roof rack or the side window. My money is on the window cause that is where mine leaks.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
my 94 RMW does it too. can keep goldfish back there sometiimes. :)

I haven't figured which of the two places mine is leaking but a couple of my other wagons leak too, just not as bad.

Probably the roof rack would be my guess.

My 91 OCC leaks at the drivers A-pillar corner but that's a different story....

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Both of mine leak/leaked. I had a glass guy use some butyl cauk from the inside and it has stopped that car from leaking, but I am concerned that the water is still getting into the body at the top of the window and will rust it eventually. The other one still leaks.

You can tell where it is leaking at the window by looking along the edge of the reveal molding. If you see even the slightest gap, it is the window.

I have contemplated putting some Gorilla glue in the slot, because it activates with water and expands, so it should fill the gap. If you try that, put tape at the edge of the molding on the paint, and on the molding up to the edge. You can cut any excess glue off, and not mess up your paint or trim.

·
Super Moderator
8,891 Posts
I just drilled a hole from below at the lowest point. Water drains right out.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You don't want it to look like this wagon!

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
First clear the drain!!!

GM built a drain in the quarter. They simply put a square "BUMP" in the outer sheet metal. In theory this allows the quarter to drain. But of course when it got the assembly line what the engineers designed did not go into practice. The assembly line filled this hole (on at least my car) with drip edge sealant!! I used a tie wrap (a good sized one) to clean out this drain to make it work. Mine could have supported marine life when I got it.

The Leak!!!! I have had several leaks.

#1 the rear wiper motor hole leaked. This was rather obvious when the rear plastic panel dripped when it rained. Silicone took care of this.
#2 I had the headliner replaced, so while it was out I took every screw out of the roof rack out and sealed with 20 year caulk.
#3 Like Sprocket the rear drivers side window THE WHOLE THING was leaking. I had my body guys remove the window and re-seal it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had the same problem, drilled a small hole in te lowest part. I had the complete rear window out a few years back and put it back with the right kit. Water doesn't stay in, but i havn't found the problem yet.

·
Registered
352 Posts
On 95' RMW, i just found Drivers side Wing Window, Top hinge is seperated from Glass. Found no water in locking compartment. could it be going elsewhere, causing problems ?
Any chance of reattaching the two while still in car ?
Thanks

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
On 95' RMW, i just found Drivers side Wing Window, Top hinge is seperated from Glass. Found no water in locking compartment. could it be going elsewhere, causing problems ?
Any chance of reattaching the two while still in car ?
Thanks
You will have to remove the window to repair it. There have been a couple of threads on this subject, and no real consensus as to what works. Mirror glue is a no go, as are a few other glues. CA adhesive, and Gorilla glue have been tried, as has JB weld and Goop. I have tried Goop and it seemed to work. The trick to glueing is to get both surfaces sanitary (absolutely nothing on them), and clamping them together tightly until the adhesive cures (I used spring clothes pins). Use some tape to outline the location so you can place the hinge accurately, and you do not have to move the hinge once it is in place. I have a driver side window for sale if you can not get it to stick.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I get water there in both of mine.

I found my leaks to be the weatherstrip around the rear window.

Right at the bottom left corner where the plastic trim covers it, the weather strip is pulling away from the sheet metal.

Also look up above the tail lights into the D pillar. I've found about half the cars I see have seam sealer in there and the other half dont. The ones that don't seem to have he d pillar rot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts