Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The water seems to come in by the tail gate extreme left and right ends of the interior by the rear seat compartment like where the plastic removeable covers are for the spare tire and the opposte side as well, where does the water come from ? , seems to be from the back of car but where, I see some water from under bumper each end , but not up as high as I see the stains have rot on another wagon behind rear wheel wells and want to prevent it wth this car.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Your description is really confusing. Take some pics, and put them on the forum.

Wagons usually leak onto the tops of the spare cover, and the storage compartment. The leaks appear to be from the grab handles. If this is the issue, the leak could be anywhere along the top of the rear quarter glass. The glass is held on by urethane and about 7 nuts/studs. If the urethane separates from the body, the window leaks water onto the top of the headliner, then it runs to the rear of the car on the headliner, and drips out of the grab handles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your description is really confusing. Take some pics, and put them on the forum.

Wagons usually leak onto the tops of the spare cover, and the storage compartment. The leaks appear to be from the grab handles. If this is the issue, the leak could be anywhere along the top of the rear quarter glass. The glass is held on by urethane and about 7 nuts/studs. If the urethane separates from the body, the window leaks water onto the top of the headliner, then it runs to the rear of the car on the headliner, and drips out of the g.

I attached the pictures. Dirt stains as well as arrows indicate points of possible water leakage, By the ends of the carpeted wagon bed there are stains minor rust on one side, dirt on the other as well as indicated on the compartment plastic housing. The back of the inside of the car picture with body holes and wiring show where water enters the car from under the ends of the bumper on each side I will hose the window as you suggested there may be water coming from there I see no indication of water on the interior except under the two side plastic panels where I have indicated at the extreme ends there are indication of water, I have recently seen water in the car afetr rain and I had not driven the car ! I only got this car a month ago, Thanks for your thougts and help

Attachments

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
My first guess is the same. It is coming in via the windows, or under the roof rack. You should sit in the car and have someone run copious amounts of water over the tops of the windows. If that does not produce water coming in at the grab handles, then try the roof rack. You could also feel above the headliner along the sides, to check for wetness in the troughs. Remove the grab handles, and check for water in them.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
rusjam,
Do you have a luggage rack on your wagon?Water leaks past the rubber seals past the factory mount holes and lets water travel every where in the rear of the car! I've had to remove and re-seal both luggage racks on my '89 and '93 Caprice wagons.Took care of the water issue in both.Good luck!
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts