Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this has happened before so am going to tell you guys what happened the first time around. I fixed the A/C back in early January. The A/C only lasted about two days because the headers ended up burning a line so I didn't have any more A/C until a week ago. Now during the first time around I took out the carpet and saw that the floor board on the passenger's side was wet, it had also rained so I thought it was a leak or tear in the weather stripping around a door. The A/C line tore and then I tried to replicate the rain and searched inside the car to see where the water was coming from with no luck.

Now today as am coming home from the gym at 2am I look down and see once again at the floor board and see its wet!!! I'm tired from my workout and am forced to put this leak on hold but place it at the top of all my priorities. I do some minor search and found the leak coming from behind the dash board. It has not rained in almost a week so I go ahead and look under the hood knowing that it has to be related to the A/C. I find the top of the lower control arm wet with water and some of the A/C line wet as well. Before I start to rip the car apart on my days off has this happened to anyone and what am I expecting?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Why not just fix your A/C condensation tray drain? The rubber elbow is probably missing. There are plenty of threads on the subject if you search the forum. This is not some mysterious problem and it occurs with other cars as well.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
If you find its the missing elbow, you should be able to find a replacement online.

Another option.....I just used a length of heater hose I had laying around. It had a 90* bend in it so I just cut it short at the bend to attach at the firewall and used a hose clamp on it. Then left the other end long and ran that down inside the frame rail. Now when it condensates, it just drips to the ground and not all over the front of the car/frame. :)

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just fix your A/C condensation tray drain? The rubber elbow is probably missing. There are plenty of threads on the subject if you search the forum. This is not some mysterious problem and it occurs with other cars as well.

Sorry, forgot to mention the A/C is fixed.

If you find its the missing elbow, you should be able to find a replacement online.

Another option.....I just used a length of heater hose I had laying around. It had a 90* bend in it so I just cut it short at the bend to attach at the firewall and used a hose clamp on it. Then left the other end long and ran that down inside the frame rail. Now when it condensates, it just drips to the ground and not all over the front of the car/frame. :)
This is exactly what I was looking for. Good advice from people. thanks guys, when I look for the line I will know what to expect.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This is exactly what I was looking for. Now I know what to look for. thank you guys.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
In the Pic I have the Header removed and you can see the hose I used on the fitting. This at least gives you a good idea of the area and if you want to run something a little longer to keep the dripping water off the car. If you go this route, be sure to secure the hose with a clamp since the added length/weight of the hose could cause it to easily come off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts