Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever my 1996 Roadmaster goes through the car wash, water pours out of the bottom of the rear light-grab handles at the top of the roof interior, next to the rear hatch glass. No other leaks are visible.

In a setup like one of the automatic LaserWashes, you can watch the water pour out of the bottom of the grab handles just as the wash boom and nozzles pass over the last 2 ft of the rear of the car.

Any ideas on where the water might be getting in, and how to stop it?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Check the seal at the top of the rear door [roof channel seal]. If theres a leak at the front area of that seal it will run down the door pillar trim and into the rear footwell [where your feet rest when in the back ~ NOT 3rd seat] and if too the rear of that seal it can run back the interior trim and out around the grab lights. Visibly check the seal then do a water test. Also check the roof trim screws for a leak there.

·
Registered
11,737 Posts
Welcome to the world of wagons. The water coming out of the grab handle comes in further front, and runs down the headliner channel, which then pours it into the handle.

It is a 95% chance that your rear quarter window is leaking at the top of the molding. If you see a slight gap between it and the body, you have found the leak. It is a common problem. Having the window reinstalled is probably the only real fix for it. If you put tape on the paint beside it and spatula some sealant into the crack you may be able to stop it. I have not tried that method myself, but it should work. A window guy put some butyl cauk on the inside of my window, but you have to remove the headliner to get to it. It did keep the water out, but I worry about water laying in the exterior opening and rotting the metal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.