Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I will soon be changing the water pump on my 95 Caprice Classic. I've not done this before but I've been reading up on it here and elsewhere and watching videos. One part that concerns me is that I need to replace the lower hose the connects to the water pump and goes back to that bracket or clamp just under the tee (circled in photo). The clamp is obscuring my view of how the hose connects. Can someone fill me in? Anything I need to watch out for? Looks like that clamp is on there good. Also, does any one know of the Gates part no. for this hose? Any other advice is appreciated as well. Thank you. - Damian

Attachments

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I believe that hose has the Flow restrictor attached to it. If it were me, if one hose is bad, I would just replace them all since the others aren't too far away. Why go thru the trouble just to have another hose let go and leave you stranded.

Other things to replace/do....at a minimum I would replace both the plastic restrictor and tee. Those parts get very brittle with age and heat cycles and once you start moving the hoses around will break or be compromised and break at the worst time....ask me how I know.:p. I made a tee out of metal fittings to eliminate this but no option for the restrictor other than the plastic part and YES you need this in the system.

Also, a good idea to flush the entire cooling system (block, Resevoir tank, heater core), top off with a 50/50 mix of distilled and coolant and bleed the system. You may as well do a new t-stat and possibly the pressure cap on the tank.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that hose has the Flow restrictor attached to it. If it were me, if one hose is bad, I would just replace them all since the others aren't too far away. Why go thru the trouble just to have another hose let go and leave you stranded.

Other things to replace/do....at a minimum I would replace both the plastic restrictor and tee. Those parts get very brittle with age and heat cycles and once you start moving the hoses around will break or be compromised and break at the worst time....ask me how I know.:p. I made a tee out of metal fittings to eliminate this but no option for the restrictor other than the plastic part and YES you need this in the system.

Also, a good idea to flush the entire cooling system (block, Resevoir tank, heater core), top off with a 50/50 mix of distilled and coolant and bleed the system. You may as well do a new t-stat and possibly the pressure cap on the tank.
Based on what I've read here I did order the tee, hose restrictor and thermostat. That said, I've not seen mention of where the restrictor goes just that it should be replaced. I meant to ask that.

Most of the hoses were replaced about a year ago. That lower one wasn't nor were the ones that go back to the heater core. That rear hose assembly is not cheap. I don't know that I can swing it now. I'll have to look into a flush.

Also in one video I watched the guy replaced the drive seal with a special tool he bought from a forum member. Does that seal come with the pump (it's not here yet) or is that a separate purchase?

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I need to do this repair soon. Is this not the right forum these questions? At this point I'm mainly concerned about replacing the lower hose that's circled and placement of the restrictor.

·
Registered
624 Posts

This is the top hose coming off the pump and the location for the tee.

Here is the bracket that attaches the hoses. There is a tiny screw that you can just make out the threads for near the center of the pic. Can't remember the size, but it's small and difficult to get to.

There is the restrictor in the bottom hose between the clamps. You can see oil dipstick and ac stuff for reference. You can get the heater hose at Rockauto with the correct bends. You might have to cut to fit. Hope these help. Let me know if you need more.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

This is the top hose coming off the pump and the location for the tee.

Here is the bracket that attaches the hoses. There is a tiny screw that you can just make out the threads for near the center of the pic. Can't remember the size, but it's small and difficult to get to.

There is the restrictor in the bottom hose between the clamps. You can see oil dipstick and ac stuff for reference. You can get the heater hose at Rockauto with the correct bends. You might have to cut to fit. Hope these help. Let me know if you need more.
Thank you very much. That helps a lot. I could not see the bracket screw before. That looks like it's going to be a pain to get off and back on. I picked up a proper heater hose. It will need to be cut.

I'm curious, will the tee just pull out. I'm concerned about the center connector. It appears to be held by the metal end of the hose.

Also, I've circled the area where I believe you're saying the restrictor is. Do I pull back on that connector, the one that's stamped "Made in Mexico"? I don't want to yank on that area it if that's the wrong thing to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm a bit confused by the lower heater hose. Does that go all the way back to that connector I circled? If so, the one on my vehicle has a metal end. I'm not seeing that available under heater hoses. Is that just the way it was initially issued and do I just now use a clamp in its place? :confused:

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Tell me you aren't replacing your green 9c1 hoses with regular ones.. This isn't brain surgery. I replaced the restrictor in about 15 minutes. Just do it like the photo that has been supplied. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Thank you very much. That helps a lot. I could not see the bracket screw before. That looks like it's going to be a pain to get off and back on. I picked up a proper heater hose. It will need to be cut.

I'm curious, will the tee just pull out. I'm concerned about the center connector. It appears to be held by the metal end of the hose.

Also, I've circled the area where I believe you're saying the restrictor is. Do I pull back on that connector, the one that's stamped "Made in Mexico"? I don't want to yank on that area it if that's the wrong thing to do.

Iirc - the bolt head on the side of the accessory bracket that clamps the hose bracket down is 10mm. If you look up pictures of heater hoses and also the flow restrictor (or SEARCH here) you will see the routing which is very straight forward. There are already lots of pictures/info here if you do a little digging.
Find a picture of a restrictor and you will see it just has hose barbs on each end.

Here is a link to the metal tee that some including myself have made up. From my pics you will see the routing of eater hoses a little. But Google should also find you some pics.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=258783

The metal fitting used instead of clamps is a "crimp" type fitting. The factory uses thes quite a bit and they are not designed to be removed. However, you can cut the metal shell with a cutting wheel on a Dremel and carefully cut thru it to pry off the shell, remove the hose and use clamps when you put it back together.

Check this link of the oil cooler hoses which use a similar type crimp connector. You will see the metal shell and I basically just cut the metal shell lengthwise and pryed off the 2 halves. Now the hose could just be pulled off. Just like you will need to do withe the restrictor and tee....assuming they have crimp fittings.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=11481906&postcount=79

Edit - just googled "lt1 flow restrictor" and a bunch of images show up. This one best shows what I described cutting off the metal she'll and showing the restrictor. If you look on the left side, you can see how they cut the shell/ crimp to remove it.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2376000-2376999/2376376_140_full.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell me you aren't replacing your green 9c1 hoses with regular ones.. This isn't brain surgery. I replaced the restrictor in about 15 minutes. Just do it like the photo that has been supplied. Good luck.
The green ones aren't mine. If the original hoses were green then they were replaced a long time ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Iirc - the bolt head on the side of the accessory bracket that clamps the hose bracket down is 10mm. If you look up pictures of heater hoses and also the flow restrictor (or SEARCH here) you will see the routing which is very straight forward. There are already lots of pictures/info here if you do a little digging.
Find a picture of a restrictor and you will see it just has hose barbs on each end.

Here is a link to the metal tee that some including myself have made up. From my pics you will see the routing of eater hoses a little. But Google should also find you some pics.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=258783

The metal fitting used instead of clamps is a "crimp" type fitting. The factory uses thes quite a bit and they are not designed to be removed. However, you can cut the metal shell with a cutting wheel on a Dremel and carefully cut thru it to pry off the shell, remove the hose and use clamps when you put it back together.

Check this link of the oil cooler hoses which use a similar type crimp connector. You will see the metal shell and I basically just cut the metal shell lengthwise and pryed off the 2 halves. Now the hose could just be pulled off. Just like you will need to do withe the restrictor and tee....assuming they have crimp fittings.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=11481906&postcount=79

Edit - just googled "lt1 flow restrictor" and a bunch of images show up. This one best shows what I described cutting off the metal she'll and showing the restrictor. If you look on the left side, you can see how they cut the shell/ crimp to remove it.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2376000-2376999/2376376_140_full.jpg
Thank you for the good info. Much appreciated. Part of the research problem on my end was not using the right keywords but I'm learning.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part way through the job. Heavy rain set me back.

Does any one know what size of O-Ring goes on the drive spline? The pump only came with a ring for the pump.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I believe it's the same size as those for the pump. The parts stores have assorted sizes in a box. Worst case, the fel-pro timing cover gasket set has a couple included. About $10 for the set.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
If you can, get the Viton O-rings.

Check with SEO9C1 as I think he had extras he was selling. If not, I have seen Viton 0-ring assortments for sale at of all places .....Harbor Freight. Usually used on the Opti, but should also work on the WP and Spline or as mentioned earlier, the felpro kit should have them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. We just matched to the pump ring. I have a mixed assortment. I just wanted to be specific if possible.

I definitely appreciate the help here and in other threads. Glad I bought a tee connector and restrictor based on what I read here. That tee connector crumbled with little pressure, even got in the coolant tank hose. It would not come out. Had to buy a new one. It's been a long day but Mission accomplished. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts