Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After driving down the interstate and getting home my car started hesitiating, popped the hood and coolant was coming out of the bottom of the water pump(94 baby lt1). I know it getting the opti wet caused the hesitiation, so do i need to just do new gaskets or is it something more?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
You need to get under it and see exactly where it is leaking. If it is coming out the weep hole, which is what it sounds like, you need a new water pump.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
You likely need a new pump, as the gaskets typically don't fail from my experience. Check the little weep hole on the bottom of the pump. If it's coming from there, or from the center of the back of the pump (by the pump driveshaft) it's time for a new pump. You're probably due for a new opti as well if the coolant is causing it to run rough. That means it's no longer sealing properly, and will cause headaches anytime you drive through a puddle or get it wet. They are sealed from the elements when they are in good shape and getting them wet for a bit will not hurt them. Even if it gets dosed with coolant for a short period of time. Many people seem to think the opti will be no good if it gets any coolant on it, that's not true. Now if a leak goes unchecked for awhile, that's when the opti will be compromised. If you replace the opti, you should get a new opti vent harness, and change the opti seal and water pump seal in the timing cover too.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well this sucks, so whats a good price for a new water pump? Im not in the position to buy a new opti so that will have to wait. And if i do change the opti doesnt the crank pulley need to come off?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
A new water pump is around $150 (I think) from Autozone. No you do not have to pull the crank pully (or hub) off, but you will have to remove the harmonic balancer. That is no big deal.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Well this sucks, so whats a good price for a new water pump? Im not in the position to buy a new opti so that will have to wait. And if i do change the opti doesnt the crank pulley need to come off?

The harmonic balancer will have to come off to change the opti. It's not that hard to remove, you may need a HB puller if it's never been off before.

PS if you are interested, I have a great working Delphi opti with about 12K miles on it, and a brand new Duralast WP that I'd sell both together for $140 + shipping. :) Can even get you a new set of Duralast Spark plug wires for an extra $30...

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
PS if you are interested, I have a great working Delphi opti with about 12K miles on it, and a brand new Duralast WP that I'd sell both together for $140 + shipping. :) Can even get you a new set of Duralast Spark plug wires for an extra $30...

Rockstar - ^^^That is a good deal!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The harmonic balancer will have to come off to change the opti. It's not that hard to remove, you may need a HB puller if it's never been off before.

I will get back to you on this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts

Rockstar - ^^^That is a good deal!!!
if you dont buy it, goldie i will.

it's highly recommend when doing the WP to do the WP seal in the timing cover, or most of the time it will fail when installing a new pumo, and oil will leak :(
this is true, took me HRS to find that damn leak.

·
Premium Member
9,190 Posts
what if you plug the weephole? Sorry for my ignorance on this.
weap hole is desgned to let you know when the WP is broke...

i was to slow :)

·
Registered
930 Posts
ohh ok that makes sense then. so its just to let you know the pump is about to fail? I am surprised no one has tapped that whole and put a small hose leading away from the opti.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it's highly recommend when doing the WP to do the WP seal in the timing cover, or most of the time it will fail when installing a new pumo, and oil will leak :(
When i do the this do i have to remove to crank/ harmonic balaner or is it a two piece cover?

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
When i do the this do i have to remove to crank/ harmonic balaner or is it a two piece cover?
The what now?

I think you're asking about removal of the timing cover and asking if it consists of two pieces, which you do not and which it is not. Do not remove the timing cover unless you need to, which you shouldn't need to for what you are doing...unless you actually have a leaky timing cover gasket which would be a rarity on the LT1.

The WP seal slips over the WP drive shaft but takes a special tool to install correctly, this special tool can be made but it can also be purchased relatively cheaply these days...but if you are in a hurry you may need to fab it and I forget which marker bodies work best for that, maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The what now?

I think you're asking about removal of the timing cover and asking if it consists of two pieces, which you do not and which it is not. Do not remove the timing cover unless you need to, which you shouldn't need to for what you are doing...unless you actually have a leaky timing cover gasket which would be a rarity on the LT1.

The WP seal slips over the WP drive shaft but takes a special tool to install correctly, this special tool can be made but it can also be purchased relatively cheaply these days...but if you are in a hurry you may need to fab it and I forget which marker bodies work best for that, maybe someone else will chime in.
Ok i see now. Anyone now who sells this tool or how to make one?

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Ok i see now. Anyone now who sells this tool or how to make one?
From my recollection, which I sorta trust...get a Sanford Highlighter or Dry Erase Marker, gut it and cut it back about 2.25" from the business end and you have a tool.

It's the measurement I'm unsure of...

Buffman had some, but people bought them up and a new GP is in works. Focuztech has some too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.