Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 94 fleetwood, has 120k, hasn't been driven but a few times in the last year. I already bought a brand new water pump but im confused on which thermostat to get, autozone has a, couple different ones listed. Also should I just go ahead and replace the coolant temp sensor while I'm in there?

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey man, congrats on your purchase! Well, this is my first time helping someone out but I too recently switched out my water pump. Ok so now to your question, the thermostat that I bought was from Autozone. The thermostat that I recommend is a 160 degree thermostat as it was the one that was recommended to me. I looked all over the place for a thermostat but was only able to find a 180 degree thermostat in different auto parts store so I ended up just buying a 160 degree thermostat from Autozone and till this day, its been about 2 months, the thermostat has done its job pretty well and I recommend it! It is part number 4216 on the Autozone website it is by the brand Duralast. Regarding on the ECT sensor, yeah just get one man they're relatively inexpensive. Best of luck bro. Any questions just reply to the post.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man, congrats on your purchase! Well, this is my first time helping someone out but I too recently switched out my water pump. Ok so now to your question, the thermostat that I bought was from Autozone. The thermostat that I recommend is a 160 degree thermostat as it was the one that was recommended to me. I looked all over the place for a thermostat but was only able to find a 180 degree thermostat in different auto parts store so I ended up just buying a 160 degree thermostat from Autozone and till this day, its been about 2 months, the thermostat has done its job pretty well and I recommend it! It is part number 4216 on the Autozone website it is by the brand Duralast. Regarding on the ECT sensor, yeah just get one man they're relatively inexpensive. Best of luck bro. Any questions just reply to the post.
I was checking their site and the only 180 they list is a fail/safe but I have heard bad things about those

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Just picked up a 94 fleetwood, has 120k, hasn't been driven but a few times in the last year. I already bought a brand new water pump but im confused on which thermostat to get, autozone has a, couple different ones listed. Also should I just go ahead and replace the coolant temp sensor while I'm in there?
Some of the AZ Duralast stuff is just relabeled but quality name brand stuff. Case in point....Motorad Tstat.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showpost.php?p=2705371&postcount=5

Certain AZ parts I would avoid, but this is one you can trust.

I ran the 160* stat for a while but heat output in the winter was not great. Switched back to the 180* stat and car runs fine and toasty in the cold months now.

Before installing the new pump, consider throwing a drain hose on the weep hole to divert coolant away if it fails.

As for the coolant sensor on the pump, if you got the money....why not. But then again it's easy enough to replace later if it causes you a problem. You can always quickly swap it without loosing much coolant if the system stays sealed.

Edit - btw, to steal a line from Fram...."if you want to do it right" you may want to consider a FULL Flush of the coolant system while things are apart. I would also strongly recommend a new Tee and Restrictor on the heater hoses. Good Luck

·
Registered
858 Posts
Mechanical waterpump

Some of the AZ Duralast stuff is just relabeled but quality name brand stuff. Case in point....Motorad Tstat.

I ran the 160* stat for a while but heat output in the winter was not great. Switched back to the 180* stat and car runs fine and toasty in the cold months now.

Before installing the new pump, consider throwing a drain hose on the weep hole to divert coolant away if it fails.

As for the coolant sensor on the pump, if you got the money....why not. But then again it's easy enough to replace later if it causes you a problem. You can always quickly swap it without loosing much coolant if the system stays sealed.

Edit - btw, to steal a line from Fram...."if you want to do it right" you may want to consider a FULL Flush of the coolant system while things are apart. I would also strongly recommend a new Tee and Restrictor on the heater hoses. Good Luck
Nice ride my man. ...yeah the drain hose is a great idea an even better consideration if its in your budget would be to return the mechanical pump and get an electric pump. As for the 160 tstat, if I recall I had programing mod to my pcm to turn the fans at an earlier time in the heat cycle.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Should I just get a small diameter of heater hose and stuff in the weep hole?

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Should I just get a small diameter of heater hose and stuff in the weep hole?
You could get something that fits "snugly" in the hole and MAYBE use a little RTV to help hold it in there. Be careful though, you don't want to block the weep hole with RTV or else you will never notice if the pump is about to fail cause no coolant will leak out first.

This is what I did when I last replaced my pump.....

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=1250881

1 - 11 of 11 Posts