Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaking. Any consensus on the best brand and supplier for a replacement? Buying one with a limited lifetime warranty worth the extra money? Just trying to avoid any common pitfalls.

· Registered
2,446 Posts
Leaking. Any consensus on the best brand and supplier for a replacement? Buying one with a limited lifetime warranty worth the extra money? Just trying to avoid any common pitfalls.
I recommend getting a 'new' one. I had to replace 3 remans in about 200 miles because they were bad. My dad even ripped one of the heater hose pipes out the 4th reman in the store in front of the parts guy with his bare hands. It costs more but your time will be worth it.

I recommend replacing the WP seal while you are in there too. Click on signature link and look under Tech articles-> replacing opti seals or search here

· Premium Member
5,440 Posts
meziere lol

· Registered
1,782 Posts
Napa. Have heard horror stories of Advanced, AZ, etc...

I've a Napa replacement. No issues. Make sure you run some lube in the W/P connecting sleeve on both sides and apply RTV to the lower, right most bolt as you're facing the unit/engine. It runs directly into the water jacket.

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Be sure to remove 100% of the old gaskets............... that means scrape good. An old sharpened screwdriver works well getting into the tight spots. See threads for install tips, drive shaft, etc.

Electrics have their +'s but be sure to carry a spare because when they fail without notice you have nothing. Now you are in to it $400+. At least mechanical give some warning before they go. A well maintained system prolongs life.

I still see original AC Delco going strong from day one.

Amazon.com: ACDelco 252-700 Water Pump: Automotive

· Registered
6,531 Posts
OP

I have had better luck with "new" WP's from NAPA vs Autozone or a economy chain store

with that said I have had a electric on for about 16 years now....far outlasting any mechanical WP I have had on the SS.....YMMV

FWIW it was mentioned to use RTV on the lower DS WP bolt....use "thread sealer" instead.

· Registered
8,012 Posts
Same here,went electric over a dozen years ago. No more leaking on the opti. If it ever needs swapped out,I doubt it would even take 10min.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a new AC Delco pump. If the car wasn't nudging on 200k I would have considered an electric pump. Thanks for all the reminders, it's been close to 10 years since I've changed a pump out.

· Registered
7,785 Posts
I ordered a new AC Delco pump. If the car wasn't nudging on 200k I would have considered an electric pump. Thanks for all the reminders, it's been close to 10 years since I've changed a pump out.
That sounds like the more cost effective solution over electric. Less than $100 on Amazon is a good deal. If it's been a while, check this video on installation for some tips.....

(Btw - I just use a skim coat of sealant on both sides of the gasket....don't use too much)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T8XscndbK18

Also it may be a good idea to add a drain hose to the bottom of the new pump. This will help divert coolant away from the Opti should the weep hole ever leak. Another good set of vids on replacing all the seals on the front cover.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WwDuoebEAJE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.