Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the pump on my 95 RMW and want to go AC delco. I see rock auto has 2 pumps listed for my car. One mentions a stamped steel impeller with the same P/N as in the sticky, costs $176 and says OE design. The other is also a Delco (88926214) that costs $82, but mentions it has a cast iron impeller. I'm tempted to buy the cheaper one but am wondering if there will be any long term issues with a cast iron impeller which I assume is heavier than the steel one. Anyone ever used this one?

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Cast impellers flow less,and probably weigh more. So,the pump will probably wear out sooner. Do any of you ever consider an electric pump? I can swap one out in five minutes,and never again have to deal with coolant leaks.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Anyone ever notice the people that put cheap,crappy parts on their cars. Are the same people having these problems.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
Who knows? Could be a re-man,a re-box,or a knock-off. Unusually low prices make me suspicious anyway. Some parts are more important,than others. I prefer electric pumps for many reasons. I suspect the only AC Delco part on some of these pumps is the case itself.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Very generally speaking:

Take a mechanical waterpump assembly.

Hard part:
Remove the mechanical waterpump bits from inside the housing.
Add either one or two freeze plugs (I forgot).
Easy part (unless you bought an electric waterpump with nubs on the edges):
Install the electric waterpump onto the face of the waterpump housing (sits outside the housing, on the face).

Reattach the [now] electrical waterpump to the block.

You can now change your waterpump without removing the entire assembly from the block, in roughly the time it takes to change ten lightbulbs.
You will probably never remove the waterpump from the block, unless you need to remove the Opti- or the Opti-Spark.

You no longer have to worry about the waterpump camdrive mechanism misaligning with the spline sleeve, or the spline sleeve misaligning with the waterpump drive, or the waterpump drive wearing out inside the pump housing.

An excellent maintenance upgrade. I love mine, even when it's time to change it by the side of the road.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll take a chance on the pump, its ordered and on it's way. I have a feeling its probably made in china like the rest of the delco stuff I have bought lately. Anything has to be better than the pissing reman from autozone that's on the car now though.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new pump has arrived and is Chinese just as expected :( I took the front cover off and snapped a pic of the cast iron impeller in question for those interested. It's been years since I opened one of these pumps, but I thought the original design had a flat gasket for the front cover, this one has an O-ring. I guess I will find out this weekend how well this thing works.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Nope, GM used an O-Ring on the cover. I just bought on at the dealer a few months ago after I had the cover powder coated.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I just did this for my LS2 and had the choice of cast of stamped impeller. The stamped steel one I got is AC Delco and made in Canada. Although my LT wears a Mezier HD with a second one kept in the truck on road trips.

-Brian

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
All of these water pump headaches can be solved once,and for all by "going electric". And,it's so easy.

·
Super Moderator
7,838 Posts
Im gonna be totally honest here. Ive probably replaced 100 + waterpumps on b bodys in the past 12 years. I have used the cheapo valucraft/duralast pumps with the lifetime warranty from auto zone almost every time and i dont think ive ever had one go bad or come back to me for repair.

Something to think about.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Im gonna be totally honest here. Ive probably replaced 100 + waterpumps on b bodys in the past 12 years. I have used the cheapo valucraft/duralast pumps with the lifetime warranty from auto zone almost every time and i dont think ive ever had one go bad or come back to me for repair.

Something to think about.
+1, plus I'm quite sure that the AutoZone lifetime warranty part has a steel impeller. I say this because I once had the internal teeth on one side of the coupler strip that connects the timing drive gear/shaft to the water pump.

I removed the inspection cover and recall the impeller being a smamped steel design. However that has been a few years gone by, and AutoZone may be using a different design, but it couldn't hurt to remove the inspection cover at the parts store for verification.

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
All of these water pump headaches can be solved once,and for all by "going electric". And,it's so easy.
^^^^ amen, mine has been on 13 years now. After 9 dealer installed WP's the first 3 years I owned the car enough was enough. I still have the AC Delco new WP the dealer gave me to replace the 500 mi leaking one they put on last 13 years ago.

Obviously a mechanical WP should last longer but I had very little luck with them. Once you take one apart you will see if AC delco had spent mayby $.05 on the spring/seal vs $.02 they would be a better pump. Now with all the reman or China "new" stuff it is down to the lowest $ so you get what you get.

On my other cars I have had better luck with WP's from NAPA. yeah the lifetime deal at Vatozone is good but replacing them every year or so got old

1 - 20 of 26 Posts