Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of changing timing cover seals and cant use the search feature on my phone for some odd reason.

Does the waterpump drive shaftshaft seal in the timing cover get installed dry just like the opti seal? It appears to be a PTFE seal just like the opti seal which I know goes in dry. I've already changed the crank seal and opti seal and now I'm down to the waterpump driveshaft seal before I start putting this back together.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
Keep in mind, that there is a special tool to help with the installation of the waterpump driveshaft seal. It looks like a small aluminum suppository... it's very simple, but it's purpose is to keep the seal from being damaged on the sharp lip of the shaft during installation. If you do NOT use this tool, it is possible to try and use the cylinder that mates the driveshaft to the water pump to install the seal, but you'll have to figure out how to expand the seal in order to get it on there without damaging it! The purpose of the seal is to expand the seal and keep it open so it can be installed properly.

Alternatively, you may be able to use hacked up Sharpie to accomplish this!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep in mind, that there is a special tool to help with the installation of the waterpump driveshaft seal. It looks like a small aluminum suppository... it's very simple, but it's purpose is to keep the seal from being damaged on the sharp lip of the shaft during installation. If you do NOT use this tool, it is possible to try and use the cylinder that mates the driveshaft to the water pump to install the seal, but you'll have to figure out how to expand the seal in order to get it on there without damaging it! The purpose of the seal is to expand the seal and keep it open so it can be installed properly.

Alternatively, you may be able to use hacked up Sharpie to accomplish this!
I purchased the tool to install the seal but ended up having to make an adjustment to the tool as it did not fit over the shaft all the way. The job is done now and I'm a happy camper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts