Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Impalass Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Impalassforum.com will be migrated to our new platform on Friday, October 25th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~ Community Support

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
......the now unnavigateable G8 forum.

:frown2::frown2::frown2:

'Preciate the heads-up there. I guess I should feel neglected by not having not experienced the quote, "...challenges in usability and performance." And there's certainly no need for quote, ".....sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted." Maybe a few times I noticed the advertising link 'endless cycle of death' from the more tenacious adbot tracker cookies that did not like my screwed-down security settings. The content above is certainly target rich with vague non-speak, so I've done a little poking around this Zenforo thing. Sounds like the newest shiny object in competing forum operating systems, with all of the quote, "....fix the underlying problems..." for the host's benefit along with maybe "...improve the technology, user interface, and site performance" for those browsing on a phone.

Your lead gives better hint of what to anticipate:

https://www.g8board.com/threads/we-are-live-community-feedback.284693/

Oh and BTW and FTR I'll divulge I'm satisfied paying nothing for participating here other than offering help where possible, - and of course dumb opinions. But I'm really not sure how many $$$$$$$$ I'd have to be paid to do these FB.

·
Premium Member
4,510 Posts
I am not on many forums , so did not know how widespread this was .

Try google searching the following

I will be here during your transition to the new platform, to help with any questions, help with navigation or how to do things, and to listen to your feedback so please don't hesitate to holler at me. I want to help.

I do want to take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Cricket. When I was born, my father told his friends I was the ugliest baby he had ever seen, and that I sounded just like a cricket (yes, the insect) so I have been Cricket for nearly 58 years now. I live just outside of San Antonio, Texas and spend most of my off time out in nature. I spend my vacation, in the fall, hiking and camping.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hi, I just hope they back everything up and history does not repeat itself, like the last time.

Wish there was a way to download all my posts incase the upgrade $hit's the bed.

-ALF out....

EDIT: Will we still have the style chooser with options of "full" "classic" and "mobile" ??? i use classic and haven't really been able to find the buttons i use that seem to be impossible to find when switching to "Full". Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,232 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT get rid of the advanced search feature. Another forum I'm on has lost it and it's now nearly impossible to find good content. And if you can't find content, you might as well just use Facebook.

·
Registered
179 Posts
One of the reasons I like my car is that it makes sense and takes little thinking to use. Radio knobs, headlight knob, tilt lever, cruise/TS/wiper stalk, normal key and transmission shifter, horn in the wheel, etc. That system worked for decades with only minor tweaks because it worked well. No real thinking required to go from one GM car to another, and only a little thinking to drive almost any other brand with slightly different ergonomic arrangements.

My girlfriend tried an auto trans car with a transmission shift dial on the console. Neither one of us could stand it after a few days and returned it. We also looked at a used Audi (not my idea) with many controls integrated into a center screen. We started the car and the radio blared at high volume. It took us and the salesman 10-15 seconds to make it stop. Scratched that one off the list.
Sure , we all have our particular likes and peeves, so nothing is going to make everyone happy. But, major re-thinkings of the appearance and functionality of controls, whether in cars or software, often cause more aggravation than benefit. Incremental changes often work better for users. I drove a Prius once--reasonably comfortable and normal handling, but weird appearance, interior and controls. Riding in a Chevy Volt was much more normal. I must be out of touch, since people buy a lot of Priuses and the Volt has gone away.
Enough rambling. I'm not very interested in the forum redesign leading to something that looks different. I guess we'll see what happens, but I'm sticking with my Windows 7 Pro, radio knob and turn-to-start key. Besides, I need to go toss some coal in the furnace and add water to the car battery.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I hate change. You all know what my user name is. However... it has worked ok over on the Cadillac Forum. Yes, the learning curve sucked. With constant constructive input from the Mods and members, and with willing Admin assistance, that forum is working well. I anticipate the same here. Give it a chance, it will work out. Don't bail for FB on the first day. After a week or two, everything will be fine, and you might actually like it. And I don't like anything new, lol.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I hate change. You all know what my user name is. However … it has worked ok over on the Cadillac Forum. Yes, the learning curve sucked. With constant constructive input from the Mods and members, and with willing Admin assistance, that forum is working well. I anticipate the same here. Give it a chance, it will work out. Don't bail for FB on the first day. After a week or two, everything will be fine, and you might actually like it. And I don't like anything new, lol.
Facebook can kiss my @$$.
That said, we probably will lose at least some percentage of the intelligentsia around here …

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.