Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am having an odd electrical issue and Im hoping someone can help me out. I noticed the other day my instrument cluster lights would come on when I hit the brakes. I knew I had a few lights out so I changed all my exterior bulbs today just to make sure everything was 100%. I changed them with the standard OEM bulbs, not LED or anything like that. Heres where Im at....

Changed all bulbs and cleaned all grounds as well as the battery terminals. Also replaced the flasher just in case that has something to do with it.

Everything works correctly when I turn on the parking lights as well as the headlights

With headlights on everything on the passenger side works fine when I hit the passenger side turn signal.

With headlights on and i hit the brakes all is correct.

With the headlights off everything performs correctly when I hit the passenger side turn signal.

With the headlights off and I hit the drivers side turn signal the instrument cluster lights blink and all the turn signal lights blink as if the hazards are on.

With the headlights off and I hit the brakes the brake lights work fine but the instrument cluster lights up as well as the front parking lights.

Its acting like when I hit the brakes Im also turning on my parking lights. Anyone ever run into this? When I changed all the bulbs I checked all the wires best I could for any cuts and all looked good.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Matt

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Possibly a wire in column with insulation rubbed through. Check grounds. Including the braided strap from firewall to back of motor.

·
Registered
8,488 Posts
Matt

Just like chasing a DMX issue in Lighting....its always cable/connector somewhere in the rig

Suspect wiring in column or brake pedal switch/wiring

From another LD....

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Sure does sound like a weird ground issue to me. I know you said you cleaned all the grounds. By all, did you also get the ones at the kick panel areas and the rad support? the ones at the kick panels are known to loosen up and also corrode.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have had to replace that column harness twice now. Im actually pretty good at it. Ill give that a try.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only cleaned the grounds right next to the battery and the one in the trunk. Where else should I be looking for the other grounds? Thanks

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
That is a classic ground fault. There are two grounds on the core support specifically for the lights. One on each side.

The problem ground causes the hot side to find an alternate path to ground, and in your case it is the lights.

If you have access to the FSM for your year, look at the ground/wiring for the side that is acting up. There might even be a trouble shooting guide in the FSM.

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
I only cleaned the grounds right next to the battery and the one in the trunk. Where else should I be looking for the other grounds? Thanks
There are quite a bit more under the hood and in the car. The schematics up on....

A

....should show you most Circuits and each should indicate where specifically on the Car the Ground side is secured.

But from Memory, under the hood alone you have the HL grounds on the rad support kinda hidden away on the back side near the HL's. On the engine, there is a cluster of 4 or 5 on the Coil Mount Stud, 1 on the fender coming off the battery and another battery that goes to a stud directly above the timing cover.

In the car, there are quite a fewfor the Internal Lights and circuits that ar mounted directly to the body behind each kick panel. These are usually just secured with a Sheet Metal Screw and often times you get moisture in these areas from leaks.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great information. Thanks so much. Looks like ill be cleaning some more grounds.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Keep us informed. We hate to be left hanging. I've run into many threads where the results are never posted. Then you have to wonder if the advice was helpful. I like to leave my Mark 0:). In fact once I thought she would look good with a mark on her and POOF I was married.:surprise: >:)

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keep us informed. We hate to be left hanging. I've run into many threads where the results are never posted. Then you have to wonder if the advice was helpful. I like to leave my Mark 0:). In fact once I thought she would look good with a mark on her and POOF I was married.:surprise: >:)

Mark: Snowman-33
Yeah, i hate that too. Ill dig in to it more in the next few days, just finishing up my work for the year and will have a nice bit of time off.

·
Registered
486 Posts
There should be another ground cable between the back of the DS head and the firewall, at least there is on my car. I recently pulled it and upgraded it when I upgraded the rest of the battery and ground cables with the Innovative HD kit.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, quick update. I have not been able to dig in to it any more but some how it fixed itself. I live in Florida and it recently got cold (well, cold for us), not sure if that had anything to do with it but thats the only change. Everything works as it should. While I'm glad its working properly, i hate that I cant pinpoint what the problem was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts