Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I can only explain it as a sea lion grunting. It only happens when I turn right and going slow.

Is this a failing axle bearing? I did recently replace all my brakes (rotors, wheel bearings, calipers, pads, brake lines, etc.), which I've done many times on cars and never had this kind of noise. Other than that, the car has over 160K.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,473 Posts
Two possibilities...It could be an axle bearing, in which case you will be needing and axle, gear lube, gasket, and seal as well, or you could have a loose brake part floating inside the drum.

·
Registered
8,686 Posts
it could be the Auburn limited slip going out. A gear oil change with the GM additive "may" resolve it.

check your brake job. as mentioned axle bearing could also be the issue

·
Registered
284 Posts
I had the same sea lion problem when I used amsoil with the stock posi. Even with the additive, it didn't like the synthetic.

Switching to dino oil and using 2 bottles of additive killed the sea lion.

·
Premium Member
6,396 Posts
So, I can only explain it as a sea lion grunting. It only happens when I turn right and going slow.

Is this a failing axle bearing? I did recently replace all my brakes (rotors, wheel bearings, calipers, pads, brake lines, etc.), which I've done many times on cars and never had this kind of noise. Other than that, the car has over 160K.

Thoughts?
What happens to the noise if you apply the brakes lightly while turning right at low speed?

Considering your report of work recently accomplished, I am thinking that there could be several things going on, mainly brake-related:

1. A problem with the right (rear) caliper abutment--stuck slide pin(s).

2. H-clip on right rear caliper is missing or installed backwards.

3. Tension/anti-rattle spring on one or both pads are not correctly positioned against H-clip on right rear.

Remember this thread?

4. Amount of axle float (end-play) on right side may be excessive (axle is moving OUT on right turns). Diff problem?

The internal noise in an Auburn LSD is not something that will manifest itself at the right rear--granted, driver seating position can be deceiving as far as location/source of noises under the car.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not yet. Too busy and too tired. I'm stopping at the stealership today to get a bottle of limited-slip additive and on the way home to get gear oil and a gasket. Tomorrow I'm going to drain and fill it. Hopefully, that'll fix the noise.

Next is getting new winter wheels/tires. Dual-piston calipers are too big for 15" rims!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to change the subject of this thread--did you actually make a determination regarding this? SSBC QC or Wilwood D52?

AFAIK, the Wilwoods do clear OE 15" wheels.
Good point. I haven't tried myself, but I'm remembering from back when they were doing the GP on them, that we were warned they won't.

I figure I'll try that this weekend too. I'll let everyone know what I find.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts