Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car has been running great! The other day, I left from lunch and it wouldn't shift, stopped at the store for about 15 to 20 mins. left and it's been shifting fine since no apparent reason, fluids and all check fine, no cel.
That was about five days ago, fine ever since. Then today, I was leaving a light and had a VERY, VERY slight hesitation, but after crossing the intersection it turned off then back on in a split second. No go, all the idiot lights came on then off and car was running again, and I actually felt it die and start back up that fast.
WEIRD, Right!

· Registered
701 Posts
That is weird, Id say opti if it hadnt effected the trans. You could try a tps sweep test, to make sure it isnt dropping off somewhere, since it can effect the trans shifting. Probe the blue and black wires going to the tps with the key on, set the meter to 12v DC, and slowly open the throttle to WOT, and watch the meter for a smooth, linear voltage raise from 0.65 up to 4.5. Any dead spot or spike in the voltage means the TPS is fried.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But would the TPS make it die? I was going to check the coil grounds and battery connections.
I'm thinking they are separate problems, but I'm not sure about that.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update!

Okay!
I went to start the car this morning and No Go! First things First, I checked for anything obvious jumping out from under the hood.
1. I have power.
2. I have spark.
3. Connect Fuel Pressure Gauge, * No Pressure Key On/Engine Off.
4. Turned Key off and on several times, nothing.
5. Turned Key On and went to check Relay, when I pulled the cover off the box. Surprise! Pressure!
6. Turned Key Off, pulled relay and checked for burnt anything and all looks good no melting no signs of heat.
7. Replaced Relay, turned key on and I have Pressure.
8. 40 psi with Key On/Engine Off, 36 to 38 psi with Engine Running.

Relay? Pump? Wiring? Opinions please.

Thanks

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay,
I put in a new relay, and fuse into the box under the hood (passenger side) and the car starts. Test drive around the block, getting up to operating temp, resulted in no problems.
Question;
Would the column ignition switch cause a problem like describe in my first post?

Note: I don't see how the TPS would cause the symptoms I had, I can see it affecting idle or smooth throttle response. But not causing the car to die or not start.

· Registered
701 Posts
Your right about the not starting relation to the tps, i was thinking about the trans issue. I was told not to be so pessimistic, but i tried everything to solve my cars intermitent no start/tcc lockup issue, and now ive fixed it. It turns out for me, a bad opti seal happened again and sent oil into the opti from the center of the rotor, soaking the OS/optical ring, like an oil slinger. I have some pics of the optical ring and the oil contamination i can post later, and i think i found a way to eliminate the source of the contamination from the back side of the opti, through obervation, trial and error. It most likely isnt the case for you, since the shifting has also been acting up, but the opti can cause random no starts, with random, out of the blue dieing. Hopefuly somebody who has had gremlins in the column will chime in about it.

· Registered
746 Posts
Alright I know this seems really basic, but check and see if the cable on the Auxilary Battery Post is tight, My wagon did that ended up melting it all, it was not a brass post either but it caused my trans to go into limp home and die if I hit the right bumps.

Your right about the not starting relation to the tps, i was thinking about the trans issue. I was told not to be so pessimistic, but i tried everything to solve my cars intermitent no start/tcc lockup issue, and now ive fixed it. It turns out for me, a bad opti seal happened again and sent oil into the opti from the center of the rotor, soaking the OS/optical ring, like an oil slinger. I have some pics of the optical ring and the oil contamination i can post later, and i think i found a way to eliminate the source of the contamination from the back side of the opti, through obervation, trial and error. It most likely isnt the case for you, since the shifting has also been acting up, but the opti can cause random no starts, with random, out of the blue dieing. Hopefuly somebody who has had gremlins in the column will chime in about it.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, after that I went to work the next morning. The car started fine drove around the corner and got gas, car went almost all the way to work but about 100 yards from the plant it died and wouldn't start.
(it's 4.3 miles to work)
After work, I tried to start it. No start!
Had it towed home, it sat over night and all day and last night it starts again.
My son says the ignition switch inside the column may be the problem, I don't know. I think it may be the pump harness or pump itself. But I haven't had a chance to drop the tank and check it out.
The AUX. Battery post seems fine with no signs of damage from heat and not loose. All other connections under the hood seem fine. I love working on this thing, but diagnosing a problem is a PITA!

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update!

Okay,
I changed the Fuel Pump Relay and Fuze, I also changed the Ignition Switch. The Ignition Switch on the top of the column toward the floorboard, you know, the one that sucks to get to, and has all that other crap that's connected to it. The one that you have to pull the lower dash out and drop the column to do. :mad:

The car fires right up, and I actually drove it all the way to work, (again only 4.3 miles), and drove all the way home with out issue. Well I shouldn't say without issue, I drove like I was driving a carton of eggs! I worried about being in the left lane, because I wanted to be close to the curb or a side street, driveway in case it stalled on me, I got nervous every time I stopped at a light. Man does that Suck! I worried about it the whole time. I wish I knew for sure it was fixed, waiting for the other shoe to fall is nerve racking.

· Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which body ground? The one in the trunk?

I work out of the Pepsi Plant on River Road, off Ninth Street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.