Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i use my turn signals the front left and right blink fine but both the tail lights blink instead of just one side. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? bulb? signal switch? :nerd:

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
You probably have a short either in the turn signal switch, or the wiring to the lights. You need a VOM to check the circuits. I would suspect the turn signal switch as my first pick.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
When i use my turn signals the front left and right blink fine but both the tail lights blink instead of just one side. Anyone have any ideas what this might be? bulb? signal switch? :nerd:
check the rear lamps/wiring / sockets. use dielectric grease on the lamp sockets .

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Using dielectric grease will not fix a short. It is not a bad idea to use it, but it has nothing to do with the symptom.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
Using dielectric grease will not fix a short. It is not a bad idea to use it, but it has nothing to do with the symptom.
correct will not fix short but when you put bulbs back in then you add some of this dielectric grease to prevent bad connections as it can happen with moisture in there.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
A bad bulb can cause that problem. Sometimes when the filament breaks, it shorts across the other filament that is on the common circuit for the parking lights.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies, when you say in the turn signal switch do you mean this part that pulls out? or the part/mechanism actually inside the column?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
so replace the dimmer switch in the column and not the actual turn signal lever/switch?

rock auto lists 2 different DS's for 96

ACDELCO D805A {#26035242}

and

ACDELCO D8041A {#26035239}

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Not the dimmer switch, the turn signal switch in the column. You have to remove the steering wheel, clock spring and, lock ring to get to it. The multifunction arm only attaches to the switch. The switch is activated when you push the arm up and down, and self cancels. You need to remove the translucent cover from the bottom of the column to get the connector through the passage in the column.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Make sure yours is bad before ordering a new one. I only suggested that I though it was the switch. I have not checked it for accuracy..

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Whoops. Sorry about that Jay. I looked at the picture of the turn signal stalk and thought of my light troubles. Always trust Fred. And too, I missed your handle Jay96Impala. I usually look in the sig to see what's going on. My Doh!!!!:surprise:
Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
My accuracy rate is high, but I am not always right. In this case I personally would try replacing the switch, if I could not check it for proper function. If I can check it, I would check it before replacing it. The chance of a wire being shorted is at the point where the carpet normally gets worn through, because that is where the wires travel, and are subject to possible abrasion. It is also possible that the brake switch is damaged and could cause both to flash. The basis of my first thought is that the turn signal switches are known to fail occasionally, and the symptom could be in the switch. I would still check both the switch, and the wires before swapping the switch. It is a PITA job.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so what troubleshooting did you do ??????????????????? did you check the in trunk wiring and remove the rear light assy and check wiring and bulbs ??????????

If your gonna throw parts at it GOOD LUCK.

IMO do not mess with the directional switch ..
swapped the relays, checked the bulbs, the hazards arent working just barely blinking fast and when i left or right blinker it does what i assume are hazards in the rear on signal, thats why i was jumping to the signal switch because i read in another thread that the hazards and tss are connected. i have a column guy who's cheap but finding someone to go through all the wiring in my area is the hard part so i wanted to leave that for last.

·
Banned
3,437 Posts
swapped the relays, checked the bulbs, the hazards aren't working just barely blinking fast and when i left or right blinker it does what i assume are hazards in the rear on signal, that's why i was jumping to the signal switch because i read in another thread that the hazards and tss are connected. i have a column guy who's cheap but finding someone to go through all the wiring in my area is the hard part so i wanted to leave that for last.
hazards blinking fast means a wiring short. disconnect the power to the rear tail lights see if the hazard lights flash normally .. if so the problem is in the rear not the directional s or steering column .

if with the rear tail lights disconnected and it is still flashing too fast then my guess is in the steering column area. wiring in there or under the dash steering area if it was disturbed from factory install can cause a short. all those wires should be covered with tape or a loom plastic material . if they are not then that maybe the problem.

the hazard switch on newer GM trucks did have some problems .. switch would internally break cheap china plastic. and excessive force on the switch. if the directional lever does work properly has the proper feel as you apply it then most likely not the problem .

the connector is in the trunk to disconnect the rear tail lamps.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
If you disconnect the lights, the flasher may not work, because it does not have enough current for the bimetal strip to function. You must use a VOM to check the circuits, and you are looking for a short between the two lights, not one to ground.

You can disconnect the body harness at the A pillar, and test the wiring there. You can also use the same connector, but the other end, to check the wiring in the column when you move the turn signal lever.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts