Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the original wheels from Shammoo. They're staggered 16"x8.5 and 16x7. Bolt pattern is 5x5 and 5x4.75 or 5x127 and 5x120. Tires are trash. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep them with the car or clean them up and put them up for sale. Thoughts?
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
7,896 Posts
What do you expect with such limited info. provided.
Folks can only say what they would do with those ugly rims.

Reactions: Norcal Industries

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
What other info would be most helpful?
These are the original wheels from Shammoo. They're staggered 16"x8.5 and 16x7. Bolt pattern is 5x5 and 5x4.75 or 5x127 and 5x120. Tires are trash. I'm trying to figure out if I should keep them with the car or clean them up and put them up for sale. Thoughts?
[1 pic of 2 wheels]
[1 pic of 2 tires]
I've lined out portions of your post irrelevant to discussing the wheels themselves. Sure, they offer the flexibility of mult. bolt patterns, but they're still 16es where my memory serves were mostly used on old F-bodies and Mazda Tributes. You've already gotten a couple thoughts from replies about their own visual attraction to them.

As other posters are offering, it is necessary for you to volunteer a great deal more info before anyone can offer any credible thoughts between the two decisions you're allowing - keep and use, or sell. Examples could include:
A. "Sure, they're strangely dated and look like something on a chopper 20 years ago, but they're free to me and I'm tight on funds right now."

B1. "They seem pretty rare as I can't find any others for sale after extensive search online to get a possible range of value. It might very well be there's not many around because they ended up not very popular and can't expect a lot to help finance a replacement set." or,
B2. "I haven't done any research on my own, but the rarity could mean they're immensely valuable and I shouldn't let them go for nothing and want to know what someone else thinks they're worth."

C1. "I realize I'm putting you all at a disadvantage, but there are a perfect set of centers I forgot to post a pic of to help in your offering ideas for sale." or,
C2. "There are no centers, so if I try to sell them someone will have to find something to hide the 5 other ugly unused lug holes."
So, given the option of whether to keep and use them, or sell them, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
“91” Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser
355 Posts
A. "Sure, they're strangely dated and look like something on a chopper 20 years ago, but they're free to me and I'm tight on funds right now."
I think that is your answer, right here. If you need an extra set of wheels keep them.

Reactions: Shammoosnewdriver

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've lined out portions of your post irrelevant to discussing the wheels themselves. Sure, they offer the flexibility of mult. bolt patterns, but they're still 16es where my memory serves were mostly used on old F-bodies and Mazda Tributes. You've already gotten a couple thoughts from replies about their own visual attraction to them.

As other posters are offering, it is necessary for you to volunteer a great deal more info before anyone can offer any credible thoughts between the two decisions you're allowing - keep and use, or sell. Examples could include:

B1. "They seem pretty rare as I can't find any others for sale after extensive search online to get a possible range of value. It might very well be there's not many around because they ended up not very popular and can't expect a lot to help finance a replacement set." or,
B2. "I haven't done any research on my own, but the rarity could mean they're immensely valuable and I shouldn't let them go for nothing and want to know what someone else thinks they're worth."

C1. "I realize I'm putting you all at a disadvantage, but there are a perfect set of centers I forgot to post a pic of to help in your offering ideas for sale." or,
C2. "There are no centers, so if I try to sell them someone will have to find something to hide the 5 other ugly unused lug holes."
So, given the option of whether to keep and use them, or sell them, what are your thoughts?
Thank you for that snarky but very useful reply! I completely forgot to take pics of the centers and the installation/ removal tool. Btw, the new wheels are much better looking. In my opinion that is...
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Gee.... Thanks.... I think. You know nothing of my plans for the car. But please, feel free to assume. 🙄
OK. Call it snarky, but about the most constructive means of exemplifying [for everyone not just you] the inability of those willing to contribute to read minds, and being limited to just what's typed on the screen to 'assume' all the rest neglected by the poster to permit anything resembling a worthwhile reply.

So, nice pic. Better late than never, so now how about a little on that, "my plans for the car"? And you didn't offer previously, but unless you snagged those TT just this morning it would seem you'd already answered your own question before posting last night. So confusing.
And if asking for a comparo between the two I do believe you'd have had your answer without all the wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Good hot muggy Sunday to all.

Reactions: Shammoosnewdriver

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed. The history of the vehicle may not have any meaning on this forum so I can understand the attitude towards the question of whether or not they should stay with it. Shammoo has quite a storied past in the old school car audio community though. Here it's just a car, there it's an icon of the glory days of mobile electronics. As to plans for the vehicle, there's another post for that. I'll be updating it regularly as things progress. Hopefully faster than they have been. 🤦‍♂️

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Your wagon looks great. One of the better looking wagons I have seen.
As for wheels, I don’t like your old wheels either, but I am running the factory original Impala SS wheels, so my wheels look pretty darn “dated” too.
Actually, if money was no object, I would choose some Fikse’s or similar for my “dream wheels”. I bet many here would not be impressed with my “dated” wheel taste either. Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel rim Alloy wheel
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I do appreciate the honesty and the offering of different opinions here on this forum though. I salute you for taking the opinions constructively and still doing your own thing.

Finally I will say I am an odd car enthusiast in that I don’t care at all about stereos or speakers, and I hate the strong base sound. Through the years, I was never aware of any car audio anything.
However, you have stirred my curiosity with your Shammoo. Is the fancy stereo stuff still in it? Any pictures of that stuff? Did you make a post that I can look out for, to see about the stereo stuff and/or history.
Good luck with your car(y)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much appreciated and I very much like those wheels. The wagon
Wheel Tire Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting

will look better once the bodywork and wrap are done. As for thr stereo, it has been changed a few times over the years. It is a mere shadow of its former self now. Only 10 speakers...😃
I've created many huge, bass heavy competition systems in my career but my personal vehicles are equipped with sound quality systems focused almost purely on clarity and musicality. You can't really appreciate what I'm talking about until you experience a finely tuned audio system in person. I've posted a montage that hung in the Kicker headquarters for 20 years. There are some pictures that show the original system.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
At what appears in the first and 3rd pics as just a shadeline, the framed collage definitely has the look of a differencial tint along the sidelies. Yes-No? A novel treatment if so.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
Oop it's "sidelites". And quite weird then. At differing angles, and from obviously a different time using different wheels, still only a slight difference with the angle in the two doors. Maybe worth playing up with tint - would definitely be a one-off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oop it's "sidelites". And quite weird then. At differing angles, and from obviously a different time using different wheels, still only a slight difference with the angle in the two doors. Maybe worth playing up with tint - would definitely be a one-off.
That might even work with the killer whale theme. If you expand the pic you can see that it's the reflection of the building behind the car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts