Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only took $12k of someone else's money and 9 months, but it looks leagues better than it did even before the hit. They even got the hood to fit correctly.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

·
Registered
452 Posts
Nice! So, 12K of someone else's money--something from the other driver's insurance and the remainder from your Hagerty? Did I miss another thread about how that was resolved?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to see more.
Happy to shoot more pictures. It's going to be raining for the next 5 days here in ATL, but I'll take some pictures of the work once the sun comes out.

Nice! So, 12K of someone else's money--something from the other driver's insurance and the remainder from your Hagerty? Did I miss another thread about how that was resolved?
Hagerty footed the bill initially. I don't know how they're handling getting the money from the other guy's insurance. On that note, I can't really think of how Hagerty could have made getting this car repaired any easier. I got hit, filed a claim, they told me to take it wherever I wanted and then they paid every bill that came in. I never even talked to the other guy's insurance company. Zero pushback, zero delays. They even paid the extra charges I incurred by asking the shop to cut off the driver's rear quarter from the donor wagon so that I can keep it in case of another hit.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
288 Posts
Only took $12k of someone else's money and 9 months, but it looks leagues better than it did even before the hit. They even got the hood to fit correctly. View attachment 201244
Happy to shoot more pictures. It's going to be raining for the next 5 days here in ATL, but I'll take some pictures of the work once the sun comes out.

Hagerty footed the bill initially. I don't know how they're handling getting the money from the other guy's insurance. On that note, I can't really think of how Hagerty could have made getting this car repaired any easier. I got hit, filed a claim, they told me to take it wherever I wanted and then they paid every bill that came in. I never even talked to the other guy's insurance company. Zero pushback, zero delays. They even paid the extra charges I incurred by asking the shop to cut off the driver's rear quarter from the donor wagon so that I can keep it in case of another hit.

Wow fantastic!! I am way behind on this but why carry Hagerty's? Souped up classic?

I'd be interested in learning more about insurance for our cars as I do more and more upgrades to my Fleetwood.

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow fantastic!! I am way behind on this but why carry Hagerty's? Souped up classic? I'd be interested in learning more about insurance for our cars as I do more and more upgrades to my Fleetwood.
Book value on this car is $1,367 - $3,274. Now take 20% or so off of those numbers. That's all any other insurance company will give you for the car. Even so called "stated value" insurance that some insurers will offer you is questionable at best unless you have a vetted, verified appraisal from an appraiser that the insurance company suggests. And even then, they will usually limit you to 2500 miles a year or so. And even then - you may get rooked if you need to file a claim because most insurance companies are assholes.

Hagerty's required a lot of documentation and pictures, and they even sent out an appraiser to inspect and appraise the car before they'd agree to my insured valuation of $17,500. They check in on me at least once a year to get the current milage. They also require that the car be stored in a locked garage and that you have another vehicle that is your daily driver. The upside is literally 100% hassle-free repairs and zero questions about anything. They also say that you can drive it as often as you want, but I'm not willing to test that by dd'ing the car. The only downside is that it's not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
288 Posts
Book value on this car is $1,367 - $3,274. Now take 20% or so off of those numbers. That's all any other insurance company will give you for the car. Even so called "stated value" insurance that some insurers will offer you is questionable at best unless you have a vetted, verified appraisal from an appraiser that the insurance company suggests. And even then, they will usually limit you to 2500 miles a year or so. And even then - you may get rooked if you need to file a claim because most insurance companies are assholes.

Hagerty's required a lot of documentation and pictures, and they even sent out an appraiser to inspect and appraise the car before they'd agree to my insured valuation of $17,500. They check in on me at least once a year to get the current milage. They also require that the car be stored in a locked garage and that you have another vehicle that is your daily driver. The upside is literally 100% hassle-free repairs and zero questions about anything. They also say that you can drive it as often as you want, but I'm not willing to test that by dd'ing the car. The only downside is that it's not cheap, but you definitely get what you pay for.

Interesting, thank you. I ran some numbers through but I didn't get anything outputted due to the fact that I do not have a garage :( Premiums are substantial?

My current insurance is super cheap on my car, but I am sure it will be a hassle in an accident.... That said when I had my Roadmaster we fought the book value since it was a nice condition car. The Cadillac has such low miles and Blue Book value is trash, however finding a vehicle like mine retail would be in the high teens to $20k.

Not quite sure how insurance would work that one out...

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Interesting, thank you. I ran some numbers through but I didn't get anything outputted due to the fact that I do not have a garage :( Premiums are substantial?

My current insurance is super cheap on my car, but I am sure it will be a hassle in an accident ... That said when I had my Roadmaster we fought the book value since it was a nice condition car. The Cadillac has such low miles and Blue Book value is trash, however finding a vehicle like mine retail would be in the high teens to $20k.

Not quite sure how insurance would work that one out ...
If your current super cheap insurance will not give you at least $12k for your car if schidt happens to hit the radiator fans, then you need to work out for yourself how much more you are willing to pay for car insurance that commensurately appreciates how rare a Fleetwood V4P in good condition really is.
Easier said than done, but unless you're really good at investing in the stock market …

·
Registered
1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
2,075 Posts
Speaking of "you get what you pay for"...

I bought a Caprice for $2000, crashed it with no insurance, and received a check for $4700.

That had to be the best series of mistakes I've ever made.

(of course, the explanation is that the accident was the other car's fault, and THEY had good insurance... I just got real lucky)

For the record, I actually thought that I was insured. I was 22 at the time, and was living on my own and managing my first household. I genuinely thought that car insurance was something that covered the person. It wasn't until this accident that I learned that you actually have to pay for each car individually. Life is hard.

When I signed up for my insurance, I first tried to get full coverage on a different vehicle that I paid $3800 for. They quoted me like $360 per month, because I was so young and my driving record was so bad. They then offered me the minimum liability policy for a few bucks a month, which I misunderstood to be an insurance policy for myself personally that didn't cover a vehicle.

Think about what that quote actually says. Imagine sitting down with an insurance agent and being offered a contract where you have to assume you total the car within the first year for it to make any sense.

"So, Matt... How many months do you think you can go before you wrap this full-size SUV around a tree?"

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My current insurance is super cheap on my car, but I am sure it will be a hassle in an accident....
Fixed that for you. Super cheap insurance never equates to "will pay market value on a classic". In the first hit, I had standard insurance on the car with the company that has the annoying older white female spokesperson. My policy included comp & collision. I called them and asked about filing a claim for the damage and asked them what the figure was that they'd total it. They said $3500 -$4000 - which was about what the bodywork alone was going to run me. I said that the car was worth at least three times that and was told flat out "we can go down that road, but from one car person to another - you'll lose". I didn't make a claim because they'd have totaled it, and I had thousands of dollars in extra body and paintwork done to the car.

For the non boutique agencies, you gotta remember that the insurance company does not want to pay anything out. Ever. They are not in the business of insuring classics or rare, valuable cars. Just because you say "the car is worth $X" doesn't mean diddly unless you have something in writing from the insurer stating that they agree to that valuation at the time the policy is written, and not only that they agree to it - but that they'll pay out that amount. I am sure that with enough legwork you might be able to get them to pay, but it will not be easy (or cheap).

YMMV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts