Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold my qauntum audio solar 1500d amp a couple months and was about to sell my 2 CVR 15"s but today I came up on a old school Rockford punch power bd1000.1 got it hooked up but havent tuned it yet gotta love the sound of those punch crossovers

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A qeustion if anyone here knows is the power bd1000.1 stable at 1 ohm? I read that most power amps are stable down to .75 ohms

my subs are already wired at 1 ohm so I'll find out soon enough just trying to find out if I should make a new amp rack with fans ( sold my old one)

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was able to get my hands on a punch bass boost knob today.......I always thought people where full of it when they said punch amps hit harder with the knob pugged in........its the truth

I need to shoot a video everything that will move is moving!!!!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
no time for a video but heres some pics for now I've been working on a 98 park ave I bought this week getting it road ready (I got the amp out of the park ave and put it in the wagon)

it didnt come with the end caps but I did find the bass knob and cable stuffed deep in the back seat

pushing 2 07 kicker CVR 15"s @ 1ohm inside a 8.5 cube encloser from the front seat feels like the subs are firing directly at the back of your head its rediculous

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey fire wood just read your sig about the 95 wagon I feall exactly the same way about mine every month its something fix thats why I only drive it a few days a month now if I dont drive it I wont brake anything lol

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
I just heard from the guy who bought it- the water pump failed again. The first one O.E. lasted 200,000 miles. The second one, a Duralast, made it 20k. The under warranty replacement lasted 3000. Dura don't last.

The guy who bought it is a mechanic. He'll fix it and keep smiling. I would have to get it fixed and frown. NO GOOD.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
growing up my dads has always owned an auto shop so grew up fixing my own cars this wagon gives me something to do I just hate paying the parts with repairs and mods I'm around a grand to $1200 into this car this year alone 20" tires,new radiator, summit racing, audio etc, and its been the same story every year for 5 years

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
I'd still love to see you or somebody build a really bangin' stealth system. There's so many great places to hide speakers.
Remove the 3rd row seat and and build a false floor and you've got enough cubic air space for at least 12's.

But I dream.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've though about it seriously a ported 12" could tuck behind each of the rear cargo panels amps under the floor and tuck a couple 6.5" woofers in the back doors behind the door panels

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
Not to mention the tailgate- There are pix around here somewhere of a pair of 10's mounted in the tailgate itself. theres all kinds of places to hide stuff in a wagon.

Then there's space to run an infinity basslink under the front seats... Don't get me started.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
havent had chance to get a video my new neighbor hood isnt exactly bass friendly.........I pulled up in a parking lot a block away from my house and was about to cut the amp on start shooting but an old lady stepped out her porch with her phone........not gonna say they all watch me because of my race I'm just a plain o'l suspicious looking dude lol

but gotta do a stereo install for one of my dads customers at his repair shop tomorrow so i'll drive the wagon and shoot a video there

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Don't feel bad. Dude waled to my house to tell me to turn my car off and turn the subs off. Then a dude drove to my house to tell me turn it off. Mind our road is a burnout pit. Next door neighbohr lights them up all the time. One day evryone that was @ my house and my neighbor did a burnout it was fn funny lol. But as for the amps they can take a lot. I just don't know if they can do under 1 ohm. Try it an see. I run my p450.4 @ 2ohms bridged it doesn't say it can do that low bridged just says 4 ohm. But it doesn't get hot and has been running for 2 years like this. Also box rise plays a part in the impedence the amp actually sees. So it might not even see .75 but it could go below too. I'm no enginner but I have been messing wit systems for some time.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh the amp is taking the 1 ohm like a champs.....on the other hand I'm getting major headlight dimming (havent checked my voltage) and I have to be care full with the punch knob or the subs will start to overheat .......I think I either need a stronger pair of subs or a box with a larger port

but this is by far the loudest setup I've owned and I've owned LOTS of gear over the years ......

but I better chill out I have to start my music theory and ear training classes late this month cant make music if I cant hear the notes lol

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
Larger box takes less power to make more output. Hence why I have a 12 cubic foot. 140db @ 30hz on 800 rms. If the subs are getting hot you might be clipping them. Subs can technically take more power then they are rated for to a point. If your lights are dimming it will send a square wave to your subs which is no good. Also don't use that bass knob at all. If you have a sub out volume contol turn that all the way up and adjust the gain accordinly. Gain/input sensitivety need to match your pre out voltage from the hu.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah I'm looking at ways of taking car of the dimming already have a big 3 upgrade but I did sell my capacitor when I sold my other amp the park ave has a capacitor in it but I cant get to because its behind huge sealed box for 2 15"s gotta remove some of the trim pieces in the trunk to get it out it looks like a pretty good sized rockford brand one I know caps dont work miracles but Ive had a few and they actually helped a couple of times

if that doesnt work I gues Ill wire the subs to 4 ohms but whats the fun in that?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took it to the shop today and messed with it ..

the amp gain is turned ALL the way down I have to keep bass know because its the only way of controlling the bass boost so without it at all alot of songs just dont bump

and I definitely have to do something about my about my electrical system I think my alternator is on its way out ....I get 13.45 volts at idle (used to be a solid 14.2) and banging all the way out I get voltage drops down to 11.6 (I know very very bad)

I have to hit the salvage yard anyway to find an ac compressor for the Buick gonna see if I can find a good big case alternator while I'm at it

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well I pulled the cap and installed it in the wagon this morning its a Hooker 1 farad but I doubt this thing is 1 farad same size as one but its kinda extra heavy and it has stablized the voltage at the amp a little haven't used the voltmeter to check yet but I rode around almost an hour banging and the subs didn't get hot

1 - 18 of 18 Posts