Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No, it's definitely not the heater core since the moisture on the floor has no anti freeze in it and I did the drip hose extension a while ago and when the AC is on it is draining out the hose ok. I notice the wet carpet after it rains hard or when the car is washed. When I had the car washed yesterday I felt the carpet and could smell the soap from the car wash in the water on the floor. I pulled the carpet up and where the metal floor curves up under a foam backed plastic formed panel I could feel the wet soaked into the back of the foam. I couldn't reach up under the foam any higher but it seems like it is running down or thru the firewall.
I'm thinking windshield leak.
Can a leak from the windshield travel down along the wirewall and end up on the front passenger side floor?
Does the windshield need to be resealed?
Any idea what this involves or what that might cost?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could be a leak through through the air vents in the cowling or the windshield, bot probably caused by rust spots.
Could also be a leak in the sealing around the electrical connectors mounted in the firewall or under the kick panels.
You'll probably have to strip the inside a bit further to find out.
Last time I had such a leak it was expensive to fix. Several $100s.
Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It sounds like your roof window is leaking...

Yes, I know it is not located in the front of the car..but trust me, water can travel down inside the roof line and soak your front floor.

Also check to see if your seatbelt is getting wet..if so it is probably coming down the "b" pillar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the rear floor as well. I had water coming from the rear wheel well under the trim behind the side of the rear seat. Made it all the way to the front. Crazy, but true. Thought it was the vista, or the roof rack. Nope... pulled the panels and found the rust through the wheel well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got in the car this AM after a night of heavy rain and I can see a drip coming down the firewall directly above the center of the passenger footwell area. I am going to try to take off the cowl this weekend and see what I can see. Any tips for cowl removal?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your passenger side floor might not get wet if you would quit stomping on the gas pedal and scaring the piss out of your passengers. LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed the same thing in my 95 Roadmaster. I was changing the blower motor, and I noticed the carpet was damp on the front pass side. I pulled back the carpet, but no hole in the floor. I noticed the ac lines going to the condenser were damp. They seemd to be sealed where they go through the fire wall, and I thought it could have been condensation? If you find the leak,, let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe there is something stopping up where the water is meant to drain out of the cowl area into the fender. Mouse house maybe?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've now got water pooling in the driver's side rear (i.e. middle, second) seat footweel, without ever any moisture on the headliner.
Is there a drainage tube or channel down the B or C pillar that might get clogged, or would this definitely be a floor-level problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had this problem on my wagon. It turned out to be the ac lines entering the firewall were letting water in the car. I found out after pulling the carpet back and having my brother run water all over the firewall until it leaked in the car. As soon as he hit the AC lines with the hose water came in like crazy. So I grabbed the silicone and went to town and now no more leaks. I think that after 10 plus years that the gasket pulls back a bit and in comes the water. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But any AC leakage at the firewall would be on the passenger side, right?
I've got a puddle on the driver's side in the rear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
96 RMW, and I'm talking about the second, forward-facing seat (as opposed to the third, rear-facing seat).

(Interestingly, the FSM is very unclear in this regard on a page of seat assembly drawings, referring to the third seat (obvious only from the pictures) once as "second" and in another view as "rear")

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My advice would be to pull the carpet back under the dash. Then get a buddy to run a garden hose slowly across the firewall. Take a flachlight and lay down on the floor and watch. If you see a leak then patch it up. Take your time though and make sure to hit any spot where wires come through or lines come through from multiple angles. I have a feeling that you will find your leak.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's what I did so far. Carpet is pulled back as far as possible on the passenger side until I fix this. I removed the cowl cover and sealed the opening around the blower and then sealed the cover on the opening above the blower opening under the cowl. It was pretty clean under the cowl with no blockage of drain area. I also sealed the bottom edge of the windshield. I used Cargoop which is a stronger version of silicone. I checked the factory sealed joint between the firewall and the undercowl but it lookded good. I had my son aim the hose at the area where I just sealed and did not see anything leaking. 2 days later it rained lightly and I noticed a small drip exactly in the middle of the passenger side against the firewall before I started the car up. I looked up and saw moisture around the gasket that fits against the firewall from the heater core box. I am dropping the heater core box this weekend and will seal that up also. I will take pics and report back. Just don't know how rain water is getting past that firewall gasket when the car is standing still.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Pic shows bottom heater a/c core cover removed. I put the RTV sealer on the back side of that black foam gasket that sits on the inside of the firewall and also on the inside where the heater a/c core cover butts up against it. I also put a $hitload of RTV around the nipple for the drip hose on the engine side of the firewall just to seal up that opening. Hopefully this will do it. I am waiting for a hard rain to test it out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.