Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front of the passenger side of the trunk gets wet even after a moderate rain. Any common trouble spot that is known to leak into the trunk in that particular spot?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yes, there is. If you run some water on the rear window and get in the trunk with a light, you'll probably see where drops are collecting. Where they can come from, in my case at least, is a complex point at the corner where panels overlap and there may be the tiniest of gaps from above. A dollop of putty sealed it.
But, the real problem was that the metal trim panel at the bottom of the rear window was filled with gunk at the corners, so water would build up and follow a path into the trunk. If you unscrew the panel and remove it, you'll probably find 26 years worth of clogging in the corners. I cleaned it out, drilled some holes on the hidden area of that trim panel to speed things up, and touched up the sealant on the window.

Reactions: ayilar

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, there is. If you run some water on the rear window and get in the trunk with a light, you'll probably see where drops are collecting. Where they can come from, in my case at least, is a complex point at the corner where panels overlap and there may be the tiniest of gaps from above. A dollop of putty sealed it.
But, the real problem was that the metal trim panel at the bottom of the rear window was filled with gunk at the corners, so water would build up and follow a path into the trunk. If you unscrew the panel and remove it, you'll probably find 26 years worth of clogging in the corners. I cleaned it out, drilled some holes on the hidden area of that trim panel to speed things up, and touched up the sealant on the window.
Thank you very much. Will have a look tomorrow and will take some pictures as well. I keep a lot of stuff in the trunk, so a dry trunk is a must.

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
363 Posts
resurrecting this post.... What panel did you remove?

I swear I had some wet carpet in the trunk, but I thought I was crazy. I need to follow your water and light trick.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
resurrecting this post.... What panel did you remove?

I swear I had some wet carpet in the trunk, but I thought I was crazy. I need to follow your water and light trick.
Check out the pictures I took here:

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe this plastic patch is the main source of the leak. See the picture. You can also see one of the screws holding the panel you have mentioned.
Hood Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1995 V4P Fleetwood
363 Posts
I believe this plastic patch is the main source of the leak. See the picture. You can also see one of the screws holding the panel you have mentioned. View attachment 202956
Holy smokes!! Makes me glad I don’t have a Brougham and I have the rare base model. So I guess I don’t have that strip.

Regarding that patch, it’s plastic?? What kind of stuff do you recommend to seal the area if that’s my problem?

thanks!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts